Help...want to lose body fat and tone but not add muscle

Options
tinah1126
tinah1126 Posts: 49 Member
Hello all!! I am trying to lose about 35 lbs and want to lose body fat and tone the muscle I have but not add any muscle as I am happy with the muscle I currently have. I am currently doing Slim in 6, Tae-bo and walking/jogging. Should I be doing something different to really target the body fat loss and tone too??

Replies

• SarahRruns
    SarahRruns Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi :) It really depends on the intensity and length of your training. I'm training for a marathon and went to a fitness assessment last week. I had a lactate test done which measures the amount of lactate in your blood during exercise of increasing effort.

I don't know how much you know about metabolism. But a key for understanding is that sugar can be burned anaerobically, so if you do really hard training and you feel like you're breathing really heavily and can't get enough oxygen in, you burn mostly sugar. Fat on the other hand is burned aerobically, at a lower intensity.

Back to the lactate test: It shows you at which intensity you start use energy anaerobically, burning only sugar. The level is different for everybody. The more you train, the higher it gets.

So if you want to lose fat, endurance training is probably a good idea.

I hope that helped a bit. If you have more questions, feel free to ask :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hello all!! I am trying to lose about 35 lbs and want to lose body fat and tone the muscle I have but not add any muscle as I am happy with the muscle I currently have. I am currently doing Slim in 6, Tae-bo and walking/jogging. Should I be doing something different to really target the body fat loss and tone too??

as long as you arent eating at a surplus you will not gain muscle.

a small caloric deficit plus a decent full body strength training programme, with a little HIIT cardio will do what you want.
  • tinah1126
    Options
    Thank you so much!!! I really want to lose the body fat so I will give endurance training a try. Thanks again for the tips! The only thing I know about my metabolism is that its pretty slow so I have to work really hard to lose weight. I have to diet and exercise or I get no results.
  • tinah1126
    Options

a small caloric deficit plus a decent full body strength training programme, with a little HIIT cardio will do what you want.

I am doing 1200 calories and not eating my exercise calories back so I am at a deficit for sure. I am just hoping to lose body fat and not just weight. I am gonna try some new things and see what works best but I feel like Cardio and strength training is probably best.
  • ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Strength training and enough protein will be the key to maintaining what muscle you do have and losing fat.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Strength training and enough protein will be the key to maintaining what muscle you do have and losing fat.

this

by sticking to 1200 cals and not eating back exercise calories you are actually encouraging your body to burn muscle over fat. the best way to burn fat is to have a moderate deficit which includes plenty of protein and good fats.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    U wot m8

What do you mean by "tone" your muscles? You can do three things to your muscles. You can lose muscle, you can maintain muscle, or you can gain muscle. Those are the only options. You can lose the fat covering your muscle which will make your muscles look more defined and visible, but I have no idea what you mean by tone your muscles. That's not a thing lol.
  • hollypup15
    Options
    I agree with everyone saying strength training! That really helped me :). The main difference I noticed was in the inches I lost though rather than the pounds.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options

Sounds like what you actually want to do is lose fat to reveal the muscle you already have. Lift weights, do high intensity cardio and eat at a not too large deficit
  • tinah1126
    Options

Sounds like what you actually want to do is lose fat to reveal the muscle you already have. Lift weights, do high intensity cardio and eat at a not too large deficit
    Thanks for the tips!!! I will add some weights to my regimen!!!
  • tinah1126
    Options
    I agree with everyone saying strength training! That really helped me :). The main difference I noticed was in the inches I lost though rather than the pounds.

Yes I am seeing the inches go too...quicker than the scale is moving which is great!!! I havent measured yet since I havent been doing it a full 30 days yet but can already tell in my clothes! Thanks for the advice!!
  • tinah1126
    Options

this

by sticking to 1200 cals and not eating back exercise calories you are actually encouraging your body to burn muscle over fat. the best way to burn fat is to have a moderate deficit which includes plenty of protein and good fats.

Really...dang....my thinking was that if I was exercising and working the muscles as well as getting my 1200 calories that my body would go to its RESERVES (my extra body fat) to burn any additional calories needed. I am eating plenty of protein for my muscles but have not been eating my exercise calories back because it just seems like I am defeating the purpose.
  • Ariel52
    Ariel52 Posts: 9
    Options
    I found this while doing a quick search on how to tone muscle. Hope it helps...

How you lift weights depends on your goals and fitness level. But, for weight loss, it's great to use a variety rep and weight ranges. The general breakdown of reps and weight according to goals is:

For strength gains: 1-6 reps, heavy weight
    For gaining muscle and size: 8-12 reps, medium-heavy weights
    For endurance: 12-16 reps (or more), light-medium weights
  • ambr1305
    ambr1305 Posts: 19
    Options
    [/quote]

Im confused on this as well tinah1126. So I shouldnt be sticking to a 1200 calorie diet if I burn 600+ calories which I generally do every day. I should be eating more? I havent been seeing the scale moving so maybe this is why.
  • overhaul12
    Options

I am doing 1200 calories and not eating my exercise calories back so I am at a deficit for sure. I am just hoping to lose body fat and not just weight. I am gonna try some new things and see what works best but I feel like Cardio and strength training is probably best.

Hello there! Just be careful that you're not eating too few calories, that usually sends your body into starvation mode and it holds on to fat over muscle! MFP already puts you at a deficit so maybe try eating back 1/3 or 1/2 of calories burned at least! :)
  • tinah1126
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all the tips!! I am adding weights to my workouts and also going to try to start eating some of my exercise calories back. Love MFP and all you great people!!! : )
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Im confused on this as well tinah1126. So I shouldnt be sticking to a 1200 calorie diet if I burn 600+ calories which I generally do every day. I should be eating more? I havent been seeing the scale moving so maybe this is why.

as i understand it, it is easier for the body to use muscle as energy than fat... so when the body isnt being well enough nourished (eating 1200 and burning off 600 cals is the same as just eating 600 cals, and 600 cals is NOT enough) it taps into the quick energy. plenty of protein and a good strenght training programme can help to minimise this. but the best way to lose fat while keeping muscle is to only have a moderate calorie deficit (200-500 cals per day)
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options

this

Yeah, that's not true. You have good advice but your body prefers to use fat as an energy source over muscle. If your deficit is too large (more than 31.4 x pounds of body fat) you will lose lean tissue as well (not always muscle, also includes connective tissues, organs, etc.) but in addition to fat.

You're correct in saying that she should stick to a moderate deficit including fats and protein, but I just hate when lies and myths circulate these forums.