Advice for the Thin and Lactose Intolerant?

Options
Tabrean
Tabrean Posts: 12 Member
Hello All,

I am new to this group, and ss I'm reading here I notice a lot of "drink milk" and other dairy products advice. I used to go through at least a quart of whole milk a day. I LOVE it. Then I found out I'm lactose intolerant, and there goes 600 easy delicious extra daily calories. The only replacement that I can stand to drink in that quantity is almond milk (preferably unsweetened), which is low calorie and has no protein. I use lactose free milk in cereal, but it is too sweet (because glucose tastes sweeter than lactose) to drink a whole tall glass straight. Yuck. I use soy milk in smoothies. Can't drink that straight much either, unless it's chocolate, and I already waaaaaay overdo the sugar already. I try not to make a habit of sucking down quarts of chocolate soy milk although I'd gladly live off anything flavored chocolate...or ice cream, except anything that is not real full fat real ice cream from real cow dairy is totally not acceptable, so I'm SOL there, except when I can find Lactaid ice cream. The upside of that is that it's actually ice cream - like made with actual cream without fillers, not "frozen dairy dessert." :D

Right now I am trying to add some extra boost to the calories lost by not being able to put away a quart of milk and loads of ice cream with soy milk and fruit smoothies plus adding soy protein powder (whey protein is choc full of lactose). I sometimes make frappes (New England frappes - not those things with lactose free milk and Lactaid ice cream, which I can only get in vanilla and chocolate. I would really love a coffee frappe. I keep energy bars at work for a quick high calorie boost as well. Any other suggestions that don't involve dairy? Makes me so sad that it doesn't agree with me! :(

Replies

• KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I am in the bathroom w/even one glass of milk. I found the CVS ensure strawberry flavor works....I feel great. Vanilla also works. I have no stomach problems. All flavors are lactose free. But that's the only one I can tolerate. Hope this helps.

I also have the almond milk in the house, but it is very low in cals. I only use that as a supplement if I need to.
  • Tabrean
    Options
    That's great to know! I didn't know Ensure was okay for lactose intolerance. It's so creamy I assumed there was milk in it. I used to use it many years ago (like 15-20) as a supplement or when I was so stressed or anxious (I had an untreated anxiety disorder) I could barely eat. It kept my weight stable. Definitely going to pick some up next shopping run now that I know it won't do awful things to my intestines. I can get away with just enough whole milk for a bowl of cereal, about 1/2 cup. Anything more than that is pushing it.

I checked the ingredients, and it does contain "milk protein concentrate" which still has a bit of lactose in it. So it is probably not 100% lactose free, just low enough that it does not bother most people with lactose intolerance. That's maybe why you tolerate some better than others?

I love almond milk (and ironically, do not like almonds). I wish it had more calories!
  • eireannyoung
    eireannyoung Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried coconut milk? It tastes more creamy and has more calories than almond milk. You could also try hemp or flax milk, but I think coconut is best for calories out of all the nondairy milks. For smoothies, I would recommend adding 1/3 cup of canned coconut milk/cream (full fat, not "lite"). Also, take a tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil every day.
    I'm also lactose intolerant, and also intolerant to gluten and other grains. Coconut is a lifesaver for me!
  • Tabrean
    Options
    Thanks for the idea! I hadn't even looked at the nutritional content on coconut milk. I do love coconut, so I sometimes make frozen cubes out of the canned coconut milk for smoothies. I haven't tried it as a beverage and will have to check it out.