Nasoya Pasta Zero? Frankenfood? Doable?

Options
Hello, All,

My beloved wife just showed me a coupon from a company called "Nasoya" for a product called "Pasta Zero." If the coupon info is to be believed, there is only 1 g net carbs for a 4oz serving.

Now, I've learned to be a bit skeptical about such claims! Looking at the web site, they are called "shiritaki noodles," and the ingredient list is: INGREDIENTS: water, potato starch, konjac flour, chickpea flour, calcium hydroxide, reduced iron, folic acid.

As a pasta fan, I'm wondering if anyone has tried this product? How was the taste? Did it lead to a stall? I'm just wondering if it may be an occasional addition to my WOE, wanted to see if it's worked (or not) for anyone here.

Thanks All!

Tom

Replies

• Citrislazer
    Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Look at the nutrition facts for the product. You can subtract sugar alcohols and fiber for a net carb count. All other carbs count in your diet. This is why Dreamsfield noodles should be avoided even though they claim 5 net carbs.

Shirataki noodles on the other hand, are very low carb as they're tofu noodles. However, don't expect them to taste like the pasta you love. They are very different, smell funny, but are fairly tasteless. I don't mind them. Some low carb people dislike them. I haven't ever stalled eating them. I find many people prefer spaghetti squash noodles to shirataki noodles for a pasta sub. I'm still experimenting with spaghetti squash.
  • cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I think that Dana Carpender might have done a review of those on the Carbsmart website. I haven't looked into them myself. I agree with Citrislazer, though, that the Dreamfields pasta will raise your blood sugar just the same as regular pasta. At least it does for me. I also find that Xylitol raises my blood sugar as well, so sometimes it's just a matter of trying the food for yourself and seeing how you feel and checking with your keto strips (assuming you don't have a blood glucose monitor) to see if it knocks you out of ketosis or not.
  • daddybyday
    Options
    Thanks for your input here. I've done some more research. I remember reading an article where someone reviewed a "low-carb" pasta, and it spiked their blood sugar just as much as a regular pasta. I'm thinking now that was the Dreamfields pasta. not Shiritaki noodles. I think I may buy a package of these, and try a small (like 2-oz) serving, cooked up in some boulion, and add some meat. Make my own hearty version of "chicken noodle soup,' serve it with a nice foundation-vegatable salad, and make a meal of it, see how it goes.

Even as I was typing this, my DW just walked in from running some errands with a package of tofu shiritaki noodles. I may have to do the experiment today :happy:

I have 2 more questions, if anyone has ever used these noodles:

1) Does anyone have some tried-n-true, low carb recipes, that you can share?

2) Does anyone know the best way to store the unused portions? Do I need to keep it liquid? Or can I just put it in tupperware and in the fridge?

Well, I'm thinking that I'll hold off on the test until next week--all part of my "add new foods gradually" strategy. But I will try them next week :wink:

Again, thanks all!

Tom

Thanks for your input on this one, all!
  • Citrislazer
    Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Tofu pasta:
    First I rinse the noodles well under hot water to make them less slimy and stinky. Then I put them in a microwavable bowl. I usually just dump some jarred alfredo sauce on them, grate some fresh parmesan cheese, sprinkle on garlic powder, white pepper, parsley, add some chopped meat, mix together, and nuke until hot.

Leftover plain and heated noodles seem to store just fine in tupperware in the fridge without juices.

I've also used them in soup/stew recipes, but add them in at the end and heat until warm.