What moment was the final straw?

Options

Replies

• sadenni
    Options
    When all of my clothes were getting tight. I convinced myself that my favorite pair of jeans didnt fit because I washed them too much, but when I finally weighed myself I realized that I had gained a lot of weight in a short amount of time (25 lbs in 4-5 months). I was tired of being tired, having to buy plus sized clothing and always feeling like the 'fat friend'. I also realized I was only 15 lbs smaller than my boyfriend who is a big/buff guy. I never want to weigh that much again!
  • Denalidoc
    Options
    My sweet innocent 5 year old daughter asked me kindly why my legs were so "fat." She was genuinely concerned, and then asked if that "was the way God made me." I knew it was time to be a better example to her, since I have struggled with being overweight since I was a child. I'm motivated, for sure!!!
  • slwarmbrunn
    Options
    The second time around (gained back 15#) was when the size 6 became too tight ... I remembered that when I was an size 18 knocking on a 24 door, I keep thinking oh it is not so bad .it is only a few pounds differnce . now I know how hard it was to lose and how fast it came back no more !!!!!:smooched:
  • hannahpark3r
    hannahpark3r Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I guess just seeing myself in pictures with my friends when they all look beautiful and all I see on me is fat.
  • mearnsmi1
    Options
    When I cleaned out my closet and realised 80% of the clothes in there didn't fit me....All things I'd been holding on to for the past couple of years that I told myself I'd fit back into after I lost a few pounds. Instead, the scale kept going up and I knew I needed to either accept my new size, or get up and do something about it as the weight wasn't going to magically fall off!
  • UsernameStillLoading
    UsernameStillLoading Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Well my final straw didn't consist of me wanting to loose weight, that just seemed to happen.

Last year I went to the doctors and I was showing early signs of heart problems (heart failure, possible heart attacks, etc).
    This scared the you know what out of me! Seriously, if you ask anyone who saw me I was pale with fear.
    This new revelation made me change my eating habits.
    The great thing though is that my nearby family was so helpful. Since I had no idea how to make anything for myself, they wound up making healthy meals for me. It was great.

Eventually though, I was tired of being weak so I got into strength training.

Now I am where I am today. Gradually loosing weight while gradually building muscle. I still don't believe that I am making productive process, even though I know I am.

The funny thing about this though is that right before I went to the doctors and everything changed, I recently became okay with my figure. It is funny how life works out sometimes. When I didn't want to be this way, I did nothing about it. When I was okay, I changed everything.
  • ezBrizy
    ezBrizy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    When I got on the scale and realized that I was 1 double cheeseburger meal away from 200lbs....
  • missBrigina
    Options
    After a bad breakup I kinda let myself go without realizing it...Fast forward to a yr later when I could no longer recognize myself in pics or fit into my "fat clothes".... got on the scale 158 had changed to 180 :( Now I'm pissed at my self for allowing this to happen
  • lau444
    lau444 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    The crazy thing is that even though I've always been overweight, I've never had low self-esteem. Thanks to a lovely family and beautiful friends. And GOD. But I always knew I was setting myself up for health trouble. Several different cancers runin my family, and being 300+ pounds at 25 was putting me right in line.

My last straw came during Christmas dinner, Decemeber 2012. I had been cooking for two days straight and my entire body ached. My family came over and right when I sat down to talk to my favorite cousin, THE CHAIR BROKE!!! He was so sweet about the whole thing (again, I have very sweet family), but I was completely mortified. I wanted to run to my bedroom and cry, but I didn't. I stayed and ate, and tried to shake it off.

That night, it was like something finally snapped. I felt it in my heart that this time I was going to get healthy for good. I can't explain it any other way than to say that God had finally broken me down to the point where I was able to hear what he'd been screaming at me for so long.

So, on Jan. 7, 2013, I started on my journey for the last time. I've lost 20 lbs of bodyfat. Gained 2 lbs of water and 1 lb of muscle. And I KNOW this time is different, because I'm different.
  • mus1cnotes
    Options
    When I was the one sweating bullets in an ab workout at a dance class. :indifferent:
  • Back2MeDiva
    Back2MeDiva Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My final straw was realizing that everything I wanted to wear I could not because it was in Missy/Junior and I needed to shop in Plus. I have extremely high blood pressure and I want to be here to raise my son. I've had my victories on the scale and off. I'm pusning forward to obtain my goals and refuse to allow anyone to stop me.
  • slwarmbrunn
    Options
    My final came twice ...first time when I accused the dry cleaner of shrinking my clothes made me lose 45 #, the second time was realizing I gained 15 # back 1 yr later
  • JDubbs339
    JDubbs339 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    When I was with my then boyfriend (now husband) in my hometown for Christmas, and I got on the scale and saw a number I didn't like. I was embarassed my family had seen me get that overweight during college.

I'm still trying to get toned legs...even in high school i never had toned legs, even though I was pretty skinny.
  • Natoshae7
    Natoshae7 Posts: 51
    Options
    My final straw, was when "people" began asking me if I am pregnant:-( Also, I dance with my praise dance team and taped a tutorial video for my praise dance sisters to learn the choreography and when I looked at myself I was disgusted, because I look atleast 4 months pregnant:-( My daughter is 5 years old(Feb6) There is no excuse!! I HAVE TO LOSE MY TUMMY FAT ASAP!!!
  • Stefalicious77
    Options
    I always knew I needed to lose weight and get fit, but always had an excuse, was not motivated, and just hnestly being lazy. Lying to myself.
    Seeing myself in pictures and not feeling good about it, i was actually disgusted.....then having a total meltdown in a fitting room when I couldnt find anything that fit right or looked good once I got it on.
  • NaomisGonnaWin
    NaomisGonnaWin Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My parents had been telling me for years that they were worried about my weight gain, but I never saw it when I looked in the mirror, though I could see it plainly in photos (I guess it's a good thing that I didn't see it in the mirror - always nice to have a positive self-image, right?)

Anyways, my "final straw" moment was last month at the doctor's office. I hadn't had a proper annual physical in quite some time, and my weight displayed at 199. At that moment, I though "oh my gosh, I'm almost 200 pounds. How did this happen?" I felt totally terrified.

But it was when my coworker showed me MFP that my terror turned into excitement and determination - I WILL kick this thing! And I'm so glad to have found a community of like-minded people. Anyone can feel free to add me :)
  • Lessz
    Lessz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    When I realized I was doing the "FAT GIRL'' wobble . I was going for a cart as soon as I entered any store because of the pain in my joints .
  • Fabu_lass
    Fabu_lass Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My 'final straw' was when someone said I look proportionate, like what does that even mean, I know what I used to look like and back then I wanted to lose some weight to get in better shape, and now that has truly morphed into a new one, but as you have only recently known me at the size I am, I'll just show you a pic, yep that's right drop your jaw, proportionate is not for me, and I will work on it.

feel free to add me
  • prettynice225
    prettynice225 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It was this morning when I turned full circle in my closet and realized that I didn't know myself. I tried on 5 outfits before making a dash out the door in something that, as a type this message, is tight around my belly. I can't take it anymore. It seems as if I have lost my sense of style.
  • tricelive
    tricelive Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Last summer was my moment; I love to like nice especially nice & neat. So I hate to see rolls or muffin tops. I was raised old school women wore girdles and slips (I wore Spanx) we never let it all hang out or over. Myself I never been stomach heavy even as a big girl, however, that was beginning to change my stomach was starting to protrude and I would put on like 2-3 Spanx to hide it, the tank top one, the high waisted panty and control tops. It was too hot for that foolishness. So on August 20, 2012 I began my journey and now 7 months later I am 87lbs lighter from 285-290lbs to now 203lbs from a 16-18 to a very tight 10 or perfect 12 in any store oh by the way my height is 5”9. I could not take it anymore, being the over-weight wife (although my husband didn’t care, he married me at 250lbs actually wants me to stop losing weight. But I felt bad about myself because I knew I could be better, because I had been better. I was tired of telling my daughter how good I use to look when I was younger, now she sees for herself…Boom!