Joint Pain

Options
tinarex
tinarex Posts: 25 Member
Hi all!
I am 28 w/hashi. After losing about 40 lbs before my wedding, I've gained back 10-15. I am working on getting back down, getting to a lower/healthier weight and staying down.

My problem currently is joint pain in my knees. Some days it is bearable and other days (like today) I can barely get through 25 minutes of 30 day shred (I ended up just doing bicycle crunches for the last few exercises). Oh and to add- my right wrist is no good after a car accident/injury/3 surgeries so exercises like plank anything are also a problem but I've been managing.

So just wondering if anyone else has this problem and what things you've done that have helped before/after exercise to keep joints in check. I really want to stick with the 30 day shred and see it all the way through but I also don't want to end up injuring myself by working out through knee pain.

Replies

• spyder_rose
    spyder_rose Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    My wrists are my biggest problems thanks to kickboxing injuries from years ago... My right wrist has recently started playing up really bad after going back to uni and writing lots during the evening and typing at work during the day.

I have just started back on fish oils and glucosamine, as well as tiger balming it up. I honestly still do push ups and planks and just push through. If the pain gets too unbearable then I stop. I have had to stop weights completely in the past because of it. I am starting my old physio exercises too though.

I think that recovery and healing is important and proper treatment...

Be careful and take it easy... good luck!
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    You sound like you're talking about injury pain. That probably needs to be wrapped & babied....

But I get "migrating joint pain" when I'm hypo. Its very strange. Feels like carpal tunnel, then moves from one wrist to an ankle, or knee, sometimes shoulder & then back to the other wrist... usually a day or so in each spot. Talk about weird! :embarassed:

Also, when my weight is above 150 (I'm 5'4" tall)... my knees & hips hurt. Drop the wt. & it goes away.

Joints are weak areas I guess. You can feel if you're doing damage usually. Hope you find your answer.
  • tinarex
    Options
    I think it is hashi related (my knees have bothered me with regular use before I was exercising more) and aggravated by exercise as it has gotten worse/more frequent since I have been doing higher impact circuit training/aerobics (30 day shred).

I am going to pick up chondroitin/glucosomine tomorrow - it seems like alot of people with knee and joint issues have been helped by this supplement. They also help rebuild cartilage and, though I don't know for sure without an MRI or anything, it feels like that may be the problem- that the bones do not have proper cushioning when I do these exercises.

In the meantime I am going to do the DVD and just substitute lower impact movements for the high impact ones that have bothered me so I don't get off track. Hopefully this helps- I had to sleep on the couch last night with pillows under my legs because I was so uncomfortable.
  • SwimSoccerTaxi
    SwimSoccerTaxi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I would encourage you to research auto-immune disorders and their co-morbidity (they occur together....in groups). Thyroid disorders and Celiac (gluten-intolerance) tend to occur together. Gluten-intolerance can cause significant joint pain. Just an idea....may have nothing to do with what your pain is it but I would rather cut out a food for 4 weeks to see then take medications.

I have a degenerative disorder in my knee (the joint essentially destroyed itself) and after 5 surgeries I need a replacement. I have standing orders for Percocet and Toradol. I was forced to be gluten-free due to significant bloating and pain and though I continue to have knee pain (for reasons that don't include wheat related inflammation) it is less painful and the arthritis pain in my hips, back and shoulders (from favoring my knee the past 20 years) is GONE!!! I am able to do "Insanity" without many restrictions.

Best of luck in your journey and I hope you find resolution soon!!!
  • tinarex
    Options
    Thank you for the advice. I have read alot about hashi and gluten intolerance. My doctor recommended not eliminating gluten until he had tested for an allergy/celiacs but it can't hurt to try and see how I feel.

Just the other day I came across what I think may be to blame- overpronation. I role my ankle when I walk so that weight is put on the inside of my foot. It can cause knee/lower leg, hip, and back pain - all of which I get at times with my right knee being the worst right now. I ordered sneakers made specifically for overpronation and hoping they help! Once I mentioned it to my mom she was like 'oh yeah I have that - when I first started running I had to walk with a cane my knee hurt so bad.' She said one she got the right sneakers it changed everything. Keeping my fingers crossed!!
  • glitteringloke
    Options
    I got tired of chronic knee pain (been hypo for a number of years) and went to an orthopedic. He put me on 4-6 weeks of physical therapy. I have 3 sessions left, but what she's been really driving is strengthening my core, hips and quads to take strain off the knees. not exactly sure how it works, but they didn't hurt at all last weekend (though my hips have been pretty sore). Not sure if it'll be the ultimo answer for me, but it's looking promising so far.
  • mightdomightnot
    mightdomightnot Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hi ..I have Hashis and joint pain (knees and elbows mainly) and I also have a knee and back injury.

I'm doing 30 day shred (started today) and modifying any exercises that aggravate it :)

hope you find a solution :)
  • tinarex
    Options
    Thanks so much for you input! I definitely think strengthening is part of the issue- I notice when I do lunges that my right leg (the one my knee pain has been worse) that my quad is super weak and wobbly.

I just restarted 30 day shred and I am feeling good so far. I got new sneakers meant for overpronation (my ankle rolls in and I have very flat arches) and a jump band to wrap around my knee. I started level 2 yesterday and so far no knee pain! I also started taking glucosamine/chondroitin +MSM supplement meant for joint pain generally with arthritis sufferers. So at this point I am looking forward to keeping up with it and hopefully keeping my knee in check! I hope you guys see improvement in your own joint pain!