Checking Your Scale

Options
How often should you weight yourself? I'm asking because for some, it can be encouraging and for others who has a great amount of weight to lose, it can be discouraging.

Replies

• Cassea7
    Cassea7 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Years ago , I became obsessed with weighing everyday..I have many years been without a scale. As I have learned..our weight can flucuate up to five lbs in one day..and so it can be discouraging..many people are addicted the the scale..I measure myself with a tape measure..I feel happier that way, but if you would like to weigh then I would suggest once every 2 weeks in the morning at the same time. Hope this helps
  • Mrs_Shajunna
    Options
    Thank you so much! Every two weeks sounds good!
  • emeraldj18
    Options
    I do not weigh myself.In the past I was obsessed with the scales.I use the tape measure as well to check my progress.Also, I cen tell by the way my clothes are fitting.I have decided that I will check every 4 weeks for my weight while I am at the grocery store:love:
  • Mrs_Shajunna
    Options
    Thank you emeraldj18 because it seems a little hard at times after making healthier choices and then the scale not reflecting those choices.
  • IcaWise
    IcaWise Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've read that it's best to weigh yourself once a week at the same time that day in the same amount of clothing (or none!) each time. Weight really does fluctuate and success is more evident in weight trends over time as well as measurements...and most importantly--how YOU feel!

That said, I'm guilty of weighing myself about once a day. I do it because on the days that my weight drops, it keeps me motivated and happy that the scale reflects the hard work I've been doing. And the days that my weight is up, it also keeps me motivated in that I am reminded to stick with my fitness plan.
  • Mrs_Shajunna
    Options
    IcaWise, had to smile while reading your post "Once a day?" Lol
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options
    How often I weigh myself fluctuates. I can go from weighing daily to going a week or two without weighing. Bottom line is that I need to know what my weight is so that my heart rate monitor, Fitbit tracker/scale and elliptical reflects the right weight so as to give correct output. If you weigh 140 pounds and your hrm has 145, it's going to give an inaccurate burn because the numbers are off. So now I weigh only to make sure I have accurate numbers. My measuring tape is my best friend and has been for almost a year now. The scale tells just a small part of the story, but not all.

With that being said, some people cannot handle seeing the 2-5 pound fluctuations (this is a daily fluctuation), which is actually a BIG part of this journey. You HAVE to learn to take the bad as well as the good or you will be setting yourself up for failure (imo). Always remember that there are MANY things that can influence the scale: water weight, drinking liquor, eating heavier, eating OVER your calories, etc :-)
  • DarrelBirkett
    DarrelBirkett Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    When you consider all of the variables of weight, these being how much food your body is processing, its water content, for a women where you are on your cycle and so on, its critical you weigh yourself at the same time of day. If you weighed yourself every hour you would see your weight fluctuate quite considerably throughout the day. If you weighed yourself once per day you would also see fluctuations from day today.

What you are looking for is a long term trend. What happens from day to day doesnt really show a trend but long term, week to week, does. I weigh once per week but I only log it once every two weeks. Then you use feedback (from your own body and self) to adjust what you are doing accordingly.
  • Mrs_Shajunna
    Options
    Great feedback! Taking in all points of view...
  • eckief
    eckief Posts: 6
    Options
    It is a good idea to find what works best for you. If you do weigh yourself every day though, try to weigh at the same time - preferably in the morning when you first get up. I weigh myself a few times a week, but make a point not to do it every day because when I am cutting back caloriesa and exercising and going a bit hungry and find that my weight has gone up, the tendency is to think "what the hay," I may as well eat what I want to eat and enjoy my life. The thing is this though: I have come to the conclusion that I am not enjoying my life when I have extra weight on me to carry around; when I cannot fit comfortably into my favorite clothes; and I am ashamed of my body! So what the scale says does matter, but not as much as how I am relating to my body!
  • asmith102781
    Options
    I only weigh myself once a week the same day and time. Every Monday when I get up. I am tempted sometimes to weigh myself more and at one point I did and all I did was frustrate myself :(. So I try to stick with once a week only :)