Starting Lapband Journey I Hope!

Options
Hey everyone my name is Carrie im 26 years old, and ever since having my 1st child (have now 3 children) 7 1/2 years ago Ive gained about 105 lbs. At first I didnt realize how heavy I have gotten and over the years I just like crap that I let myself get this far! I used to be someone how had tons of friends and now cuz of the weight I kinda just hide and im not confident anymore, i wanna lose this weight to change my life just not for social or to feel better about myself but for my children I wanna be around for them to graduate high school/ college,get married and have children themselves! I go tonight for the Seminar for the Lapband..My cousin did it years back and was heavier than me and shes lost alot shes maybe a size 2 or 4. Anyone who has had this done, had anything bad happen? Just wanna know some more info

thanks
Carrie

Replies

• khelm31
    khelm31 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you minus the children. I slowly have become overweight through out my 20's. Now into my 30's I've tried the last 5 years or so to really focus on exercise and diet and lose the weight with not much success. I was not interested in the lapband procedure until the last year or so, realizing my efforts just weren't working. My mom and a friend have had the procedure done with good results. I have been working with my doctor for the last two years trying different things to lose weight. She has now recommended the lapband procedure for me. I have went to one seminar last fall for the lapband. I decided that is what I wanted to do. I'm in the middle of doing the 6 month medically supervised diet with my doctor, which is required for my insurance to approve the procedure. I am actually attending another seminar tomorrow, this one is for the Realize band. From what I understand this band is similar to the lapband. I like to weigh my options. I will have the 6 month program completed in May, so I'll have to be making a decision soon on whether I want the realize band or lapband

Feel free to email me or add me, as I am looking for people for support and encouragement through this process.

Goodluck!
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Lots of people have problems with the band. Have you looked into the sleeve? It permanently reduces the size of your stomach, but does not re-route your intestines. Please research all of your options.

I was set on the lapband until I went to a seminar. The surgeon said, people always say they want the band because it is not permanent, but you will never be "cured". Fighting obesity is a life-long battle. I decided then to research other options and went with the RNY.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    PLEASE DON'T DO THE LAP BAND. I had no insurance and paid for the lap band myself. I researched my head off and thought I was making the most healthy choice. I had to have mine converted to the sleeve. Love my sleeve, but it's till alot of work.

When I went for my consultation I was told it was a "tool", and they only ones that gained back thier weight where the ones that went back to ice cream and soda. I didn't eat ice cream as it was and soda had already been cut our of my life. I was excited.

I was doing great for the first 6 months or so, but because I didn't have insurance I only had one year of maintenance (band adjustments) so the dr got very agressive and tightened the band too much. Food and liquids were not able to get past my band and when I called the dr. he said just be patient and it would stretch a little, it was only temporary. At that point I couldn't even drink water. I ended up with esophogeal dialation. Everything was stopping above my stomach and then stretching my esophogus. I was usually throwing everything up. At night when I slept I had to sit straight up or I would have stomach acid come up and burn my lungs. I was in paid most of the time.

I had my band converted to a sleeve and love it. I am not anti surgery, but I am very anti band.
  • OneDimSim
    OneDimSim Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Do consider the sleeve - i know the appeal of Lab Band is that it is not a permanent change - and i know the sleeve is - but there is too many bad stories out there for the Lap Band. Shirley's story is not uncommon. I hear it a lot!
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Lots of people have problems with the band. Have you looked into the sleeve? It permanently reduces the size of your stomach, but does not re-route your intestines. Please research all of your options.

I was set on the lapband until I went to a seminar. The surgeon said, people always say they want the band because it is not permanent, but you will never be "cured". Fighting obesity is a life-long battle. I decided then to research other options and went with the RNY.

Same here. I was leaning toward the band, same as most people, because it seems least invasive, and reversible. But there are far more issues long term, and even if successful, the band cannot help with issues like diabetes. I ended up going with RNY, and don't regret it for a minute.
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    While I empathize with the problems Shirley had and wish she had a more postive outcome with original WLS, her story is not a failure of the band but a failure of her doctor. No WLS surgeon should ever allow their patients to remain in a position where they cannot hold food down or have constant pain. I am 14 months post-band placement and have not, in all that time had one bad incident--no throwing up, no overtightening, nothing. Of course I eat the right foods (mostly) and follow the rules that I was taught pre-op. The band is a tool and you do have to work to use it properly, probably much harder than the other WLS methods, but the band does work. Be sure you have a very good doctor though and be sure you understand what the clinic's post-op procedures are. Do your reasearch, don't jump into anything too soon and you will ultimately make the right decision for you. Best of luck with whatever procedure you chose.
  • amberfeary
    amberfeary Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was banded 6 months ago. I have lost 50lbs. I never lost this much weight on my own. I must be honest, even though you may have a weight loss advantage with the band over the common dieter with out WLS. You STILL MUST diet and work out. Here is what I found so far, after 6 months post op living with the band.

Its is VERY inconsistant- somedays you will be tight and somedays it will be like you never even had surgey. This will change, day to day, meal to meal, you will never know how restricted you are until you eat. and somedays you will be too tight to where you can not eat at all, so it is important to still keep you calories at 1200 a day, which is very hard when the band is not forgiving.
    You will slim alot. Even though the food goes down, it make go down too hard, you will slim like a babys drool and need to spit alot.
    You will still need to watch what you eat, when you eat, how you eat. You will still need to do everything you would do if you did not have the band. The ONLY thing the band does it help with portions and like I said, it is not all the time and the days your band does not want to work, you will have to manage your self control to make sure you do not over eat.
    Also, you will have to go to the docs ALOT in order to adjust your band,i.e, not tight enough, then your too tight, then your not tight enough. You will have to go back and fourth until you find a happy medium. Even once you find a happy medium, it may not last and you will have to go tweak it again and again. So in all, this is and will always be A LOT of work, frustration, learning, adjusting, money for co pays. Not to mention, if you like to go out to eat, dont bother. You may be hungrier than a horse and you go out with friends to eat, then you order food, you go to eat it, and boom!!, you find your band is too tight and you one get stuck or two, you get stuck, slim and you cant eat a thing , then you just waisted your money on dinner you cant even eat. The only pro the lap band has, it does work if you work it thr right way... but it will always be a struggle trying to figure it out.
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    As Amber said above, it is a lot of work, but anything worth having is worth working for. I can tell you of my experience and that is all. I was banded 19 months ago. During those 19 months I have gotten stuck (usually when eating too fast or not paying attention to what I am doing and not chewing properly, doesn't happen when I am aware of what I am doing). I have slimed (again, usually my fault for not being aware). Some other things I have done - thrown away all my diabetes meds, CPAP machine, water pills, lots and lots of TOO BIG clothes and lots of extra emotional baggage that was a result of many years of being morbidly obese. What I have gained, a new sense of worth, a new love for myself, and hopefully many, many years now that my health is SO MUCH BETTER.

I won't lie to you, the band will not make you go to the gym. It won't log your food for you. It won't make you decide to have a high protein snack over the mikshake and ice cream. It's all up to you. Just because you have a treadmill, that doesn't mean you are losing weight. And just because that treadmill is in your living room and you pass it on an hourly basis, that doesn't burn calories. The same is true with the band. You have to be aware of what you are eating and doing.

I, as well as many other's here, are proof that it works but that it's hard work. If you are committed then you are a good candidate for the band. If I can offer 1 peice of advise, address your emotional hunger just like you would your physical hunger. If you don't it will be hard to be successful. Find a good therapist that you can relate to and go see him/her on a regular basis. Even after you feel like you have mastered this thing called eating, you may need help. The band doesn't stop head hunger.

So that's my 2 cents. Take it for what it's worth and if I can be of any assistance, please let me know.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Amber is right. I think why it doesn't work for most people is that you have to be willing and able to see your dr often. With the sleeve I don't have to see my dr. except for check ups. If you don't have insurance, lap band adjustments are $150 for most dr.

I love my sleeve. I still have to exercise, eat small portions, chew chew chew, but I don't have to try ang guess if it's just a day my band isn't accepting things or if I need to see the dr.
  • flrosie40
    flrosie40 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am always so disheartened by people who poo-poo one of the other WLS tools (the ones they didn't have) by slandering the other options. Choosing a WLS solution is a very personal choice. It is not necessary to tout false studies and made up statistics.

We ALL have knowledge of people who have succeeded and failed at any of the types of WLS. We ALL have heard 'stories' of people who've had problems with one or another of the WLS options. To say that one type doesn't work for "most" people, or that one type requires less work or more work, or less attention to food choices or more attention to bodily responses - bullsh*t! Any one of these tools will work for any person if it is biologically appropriate for them to do so and they are willing to do the work necessary to lose AND maintain the weight loss.

Some require more work and dedication than others. Some resolve problems faster than others and some require more maintenance down the road. Some have higher fail rates long term (you might be surprised by those). Some keep the patient self-sufficient and some require some accountability. Pick what's important / helpful for you. Research them all. Don't be swayed by a few opinions but by solid research from more than message boards on WLS topics and diet tools. It's a big decision and requires a great deal of thought and commitment.
  • hockeywife91
    hockeywife91 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I had my lap band surgery on 1/10/13 and I LOVE it. I have lost 30 lbs so far. Before my surgery, I couldn't do what I have done in the past 10 weeks....I know, I have tried numerous times over the years. There are good things and bad things about all of the different types of WLS. You need to do what is best for you and what best fits your lifestyle. I have had very little trouble with my band, if any at all. The couple instances I did have, were my own fault. I ate too fast and food got caught so I slimmed and then threw it up. I realize everyone has different experiences, but trust me, I will definitely be more conscious of how quickly I eat and WHAT I eat from now on. It was very painful to have food stuck....lesson learned :) Do I regret my band because of something I did? Absolutely not. It's one of the best decisions I have made!
  • teresa7926
    teresa7926 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Reading all the various pros/cons, successes/problems has been a hug help for me. I am in the process of being approved for the sleeve. Although much time has been devoted to research on the best procedure for me, personal accounts are very important. I am the kind of person that needs to hear not only the good, but the bad and ugly also. Thank you all for your willingness to be honest and open with opinions and personal experience. I for one appreciate it. There is still some fear to take this step. The biggest one is that if I am having problems following through with an eating plan to lose weight now, what makes me so sure I will be able to do it after surgery. The psychologist and dietician my surgeon referred me to both said my concerns are normal and that having the surgery will aide me in following through. Well, now it is up to the insurance company.
  • kileybug34
    Options
    I had Lap Band surgery on 2/28/13, I have since lost 24 lbs. I have always said it is the best and hardest thing I have ever done for myself. It does take work, but so does anything that is worth while. I walk 3 miles a day and I can only get in 900 calories, but to be honest...it is not as hard as I expected it to be. I am hardly ever hungry anymore and that feels great. I wish you luck on which ever surgery you pick. I know the band was the right decision for me.