Pull ups/Chin ups

Options
Saunz5
Saunz5 Posts: 165 Member
Is there a difference?

My main question is this - How do I work my way to doing these? There is no assisted pull-up machine at my gym so I need a different way to work my way up to doing an un-assisted one and then adding more reps...First goal: doing ONE un-assisted...
What are the steps to reaching this?
Thanks! :o)

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Chins ups are when palms are facing you. Pull ups are when palms are facing away from you. With chin ups you get more bicep recruitment and this makes them a little easier than pullups.

You can use resistance bands and do band-assisted pullups in lieu of the assisted pullup machine.

StrongLifts guy also has some various tips http://stronglifts.com/10-ways-to-get-stronger-at-pull-ups-fast/
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Grips are what make them different. Chin-ups are a more narrow palms facing you grip and the easier of the 2. Pull-ups have a palm out grip. I conquered them by just practicing. If one day I only got 3, the next time I aimed for 4 and so forth. If you have someone to spot you they can help with assist if needed.
  • Nonnyette
    Nonnyette Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If you go to Scooby's Workshop (Google it), he has an exercise called "Walk the Plank" which is meant to be a way of gearing up to do pull-ups. I haven't tried it as I'm using the assisted pull-up machine, but from the description it seems a pretty reasonable exercise and would fit your criteria.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I use a bar in my doorway and a small table to assist me.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Do negatives. And then do weighted negatives. A neutral grip is how I first was able to pull up....you might try it and see if its any easier for you. There's also a book- 7 weeks to 50 pull ups that has good advice. Anything you can do to build your lats will help.

You can buy a pull up assembly for a doorway for under 30 bucks. Then you can practice at home with a chair for assistance.
  • Saunz5
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :o) I'm excited to get started! I have goals! I WILL meet them! :D

Not sure what "bump" means???
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :o) I'm excited to get started! I have goals! I WILL meet them! :D

It means 'bring up my post' so it shows as active in the forum feed. But the others bumping it are either doing It so they can mark the thread for their reference or so one of their friends who would have an answer sees it.
  • Saunz5
    Options

It means 'bring up my post' so it shows as active in the forum feed. But the others bumping it are either doing It so they can mark the thread for their reference or so one of their friends who would have an answer sees it.

I learn something new every day! Thanks! :)