Heavy Bag Training Questions?

Options
betsy329
betsy329 Posts: 61 Member
So I got my bag Saturday, and won't have a chance to ask my trainer any questions until this Saturday, so maybe you guys can help. When doing a heavy bag workout, are you supposed to wear wraps under your gloves? I have 12oz gloves, and was curious if I needed to wrap my wrists also? We don't wear wraps in class, but we aren't doing the heavy bag either so I wasn't sure.

Also, how often should you do heavy bag training? Someone told me you should only do it a couple times a week because it is so hard on you. I am willing to do it all the time, but don't want to mess myself up either. Any suggestions/tips would be most welcome:)

Replies

• IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    In our Muay Thai class we have to wear wraps and once I start using our bag at home I will keep using them . I think it is to keep my gloves cleaner and fresher, the wraps will absorb the sweat and give extra protection to the knuckles. I use regular wraps at the gym but at home I will use quick wraps to save on time

Not sure on question #2 but would like to know, our bag is hanging up now and I can't wait to use it !!!
  • betsy329
    Options
    In our Muay Thai class we have to wear wraps and once I start using our bag at home I will keep using them . I think it is to keep my gloves cleaner and fresher, the wraps will absorb the sweat and give extra protection to the knuckles. I use regular wraps at the gym but at home I will use quick wraps to save on time

Not sure on question #2 but would like to know, our bag is hanging up now and I can't wait to use it !!!

Izzy- do you guys do the bag in class?
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    we use the heavy bags and sometimes the kicking pads & focus pads, it sort of varies each time. I got my own gloves last week and I was so excited !! hehe !
  • betsy329
    Options
    Good deal! I guess each class is different as we've only used each other. And hurray for gloves! It's always a good day when you don't have to use someone else's equipment :) lol
  • synthomarsh
    synthomarsh Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    yea I learned the hard way wraps help out tremendously for the knuckles and wrist, Made the mistake of not using them once I did some serious bag work and I ripped the skin of my knuckles on both hands didn't even notice till I was done.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    wraps protect the soft tissue while gloves protect the hard tissue. So I would wear both.
  • tigerblood78
    tigerblood78 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I train the heavy bag 4-5 days a week with 12 oz gloves....no wraps....no problems...but that's me
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different. But the way we ween people off gloves where I train is: gloves + wraps for 3-6 months, then move on to just wraps for 3-6 months, then make the switch to bare knuckle. This gives you time to learn the proper form for bare knuckle punching (3 knuckle punching). And gives your body time to get used to the impact, especially as you start to throw harder and harder punches. Here's a good video on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuocGU8E15I
  • damiannikodem
    damiannikodem Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    This depends how proficient you are at punching, if you have little martial arts experience I would recommend gloves,

We train a lot with focus pads, handheld bags, boards and tiles in my dojo with no protective equipment so im pretty used to it.

Personally I just bare knuckle the bag with proper punches if I am going at a slower pace or slap it with the back of my hands if I am going for a faster pace.
  • betsy329
    Options
    I went ahead and got wraps since I seem to hit the bag harder than the focus mitts and thai pads.. I honestly can't say i notice much of a difference other than the pain in the *kitten* it is to wrap up your hands. Now I've just been trying to figure out a routine to get into.
  • betsy329
    Options
    I train the heavy bag 4-5 days a week with 12 oz gloves....no wraps....no problems...but that's me
    Do you have a set routine? Do you use a timer or just count your combo's? Sorry for all the questions :)
  • tigerblood78
    tigerblood78 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Do you have a set routine? Do you use a timer or just count your combo's? Sorry for all the questions :)

At home I use Bas Rutten's MMA workout routine CDs....which consist of 2 or 3 minute rounds....where you throw the combinations called out.....it's a great training workout
  • setaseba
    setaseba Posts: 11
    Options
    Everybody is different. But the way we ween people off gloves where I train is: gloves + wraps for 3-6 months, then move on to just wraps for 3-6 months, then make the switch to bare knuckle. This gives you time to learn the proper form for bare knuckle punching (3 knuckle punching). And gives your body time to get used to the impact, especially as you start to throw harder and harder punches.

yup. after you get used to bare knuckles on the heavy bag you can start working on cinder blocks etc...obviously there's a limit to what your hands can handle and it varies from person to person but if you take your time and work up to it the sky's the limit :)
  • dlegros
    dlegros Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    We only use gloves for contact sparring - bag and focus pad is bare.

But then our focus is being able to punch a real person without gloves so it's pointless using gloves which actually teach bad habits (ever tried to make a proper tight fist in boxing gloves?)
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    We only use gloves for contact sparring - bag and focus pad is bare.

But then our focus is being able to punch a real person without gloves so it's pointless using gloves which actually teach bad habits (ever tried to make a proper tight fist in boxing gloves?)

Exactly^^^