4 days on BMF please help

Options
thinagain2014
thinagain2014 Posts: 51 Member
I know it's too early but I stepped on the scale and gained .5 pound! I thought it's supposed to be moving the other way. I have had a hard time meeting the 2250 calorie goal, but tend to go over the 1000 deficit each day. One day I had a 2200 deficit. Should I have a high calorie day to make up for it?

Thanks for you help:)

Replies

• hballack
    hballack Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have found that I have had weight fluctuations but the scale overall is moving down. There are many reasons for weight fluctuations (sodium intake, time of the month, water retention, building muscle if you are lifting weights).

I wouldn't be worried yet. You may want to go with a smaller calorie deficit though, especially if you do not have a lot of weight to lose. It may take longer for the lbs to come off but it will probably be more liveable and easier to keep the weight off permanantly.

Good Luck!

Heather
  • thinagain2014
    Options
    My worry is my calorie intake. I do have lots to lose (116lbs to lose), but BMF has me eating 2250 calories. Mind you, I had been eating 1800 last month and didn't lose but about 5lbs last month. I currently weight 275.5 so I should be dropping weight steadily right now and I'm not. This has not happened with my weight loss attempts in the past but then I've never eaten that many calories to lose either. My official weigh in is this Friday so I'll see what happens. If there are any other suggestions, please feel free to post.

Thanks
  • floopysandi
    floopysandi Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    It's all about patience unfortunately. And I can gain or lose 5 lbs in one day from water, so I don't trust the scale anymore. It's more about how my clothes fit and how I look. I have been using mine for about a month and it seems to be very accurate for TDEE. You shouldn't go too much below your TDEE or you could have a stall in your losses (why they recommend a higher amount of calories vs. MFP.
  • zlauerMom
    zlauerMom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have steadily been losing 1.5 pounds/ week which is my goal. I might lose 0.5 pounds one week, then 2.2 the next, then 1.3 and so on. When I look back over a month or two, I'm averaging 1.6 pounds/ week.

When you workout more than normal or if you have sore muscles, those muscles are building stronger and repairing themselves. During that time you'll retain water for that work to happen, then your body will let it go. Looking at the scale everyday is fine, but if you are truly tracking everything, I wouldn't worry it is real weight gain.
  • thinagain2014
    Options
    Thanks for the help and inspiration. I won't look again until Friday:wink:

I am being very diligent in tracking everything but was just getting concerned because I am not hitting my calorie goal every day even though I am eating higher fat content to try to get as many calories in as possible. I feel a big difference in my clothes and have lost inches so I guess it's just patience from here on out.
  • hballack
    hballack Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Check out the eat more to weigh less group! They have some compelling evidence against very low calorie diets. I have been following their advice for 2 months now and am very glad that I am.

I wish you much success!

Heather
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I haven't ever consumed or burned the target number BMF gave me. It's way too much for me. I keep an eye on how much I'm burning (with the display) and make sure I stay 500 calories below that. I have been consistently losing a pound a week on average, but I still have fluctuations of a pound or two.
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    During my first week with BodyMedia, I lost 7 lbs. I set the calories burned fairly high but never eat all of the calories that go with that. I try to eat 1,200 - 1,300 each day, but my calories burned is set to 2,500 per day. I usually hit 3,000 calories burned each day with a huge deficit. It's been working great for me! Maybe you need to adjust your goals.
  • thinagain2014
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will wait a couple of weeks and see what happens and then adjust from there. I really appreciate your posts.
  • dmw45
    dmw45 Posts: 73
    Options
    Ive never had any success on 1200 calorie diets. I lost 6 lbs onnutrisystem and then nit another one after thst despite being faithful to the plan for months before I got so hungry I started binge eating. Weight watchers had me starving too even though I lost about 12 lbs on thst before I went off it causr I was hungry and gained it back and then some.

BMF has me eating about 1500 for a 1000 deficit. Im not hungry all the the time, im not getting cravings, and im losing weight. I feel like this is something ill stick with!
  • Becky388
    Becky388 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    There is a group on here Eat More to Lose More or something like that. Look it up and read what they have to say. You may have been undereating for quite some time and may need a reset. It's quite possible during the rest that you may gain a little before losing. Also it you just started an exercide program you may be retaining water from sore muscles. Plus, weight flucuates, if I have too much sodium or too many carbs (especially wheat) the scale will bounce up 3-5 pounds over night.
  • thinagain2014
    Options
    So now I'm two weeks in with my BMF and have lost 4lbs (2 each week), which is right on target. Thank you all for your suggestions and support. I am highly motivated and feel like this time I can finish this thing.

Happy Losing :smile:
  • jc4mee
    jc4mee Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 4 pounds! If you focus only on weight you can get discouraged at times, but if you focus on how you feel and how your clothes are fitting, then you will see the real results that matter. Of course, I can tell you that is much easier said than done :wink: You are doing great and if you have found something that is working, then it is much easier to stick with it in the long run, and that's what's important.

Keep up the great work!