Seperated single dad

Options
ChangingDad
ChangingDad Posts: 14 Member
Hello! Almost 6 months ago I unceremoniously became a single (day-to-day) parent of my five great kids (9, 14, 15, 17, 18). Currently seperated, I seem to be the only one of two us that wants to fix that at the moment therefore I am working on accepting the situation and moving forward. As the day-to-day parent of five and being firmly committed to setting as a healthy an example for my kids as I can, I thought this group might be a good place to plug into to help find friends in similar circumstances and ideas and support along the way.

A year ago I made the choice to turn myself around in order to become a better husband and dad. I joined MFP and from Mar'12 to Oct'12, I dropped almost 50 lbs. When my life went upside down I dropped MFP and tanked...losing another 15lbs (I don't recommend this method)...I made a decision to stop the slide, get back into my routine and get at least this part of life back together. I added back some of the weight I had starved off and reinstituted my exercise routine with much support from my kids. I am still working on a host of other important things but want to maintain the successes of this past year.

This past week I decided it was time to stop hiding away and start looking for new ideas and supportive folks to help keep me motivated with my routine as well as encourage my kids while juggling baseball practices, tennis practices, theater, field trips, sleepovers, meals, etc.

If you know where I'm coming from, would certainly appreciate some new friends to support and get support from during this crazy time.

- ChangingDad

Replies

• LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Wow, five kids - I've got two and feel like I need at least a third arm!

I too need all the support I can get, I've been trying to do this whole thing on my own for way too long.

Congrats on the weight loss and the change to a healthier lifestyle!
  • tx_angel77
    tx_angel77 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this site but not as new to the single parent role. I've been a single mom of two wonderful sons for almost five years now. I definitely know what it feels like to walk where you are walking and would love to offer a friendship and any encouragement I can. I too need a support system with positive people!! If you'd like to friend me, please feel free.

Best of luck to you on your new journey!

tx angel:smile:
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Hello! Almost 6 months ago I unceremoniously became a single (day-to-day) parent of my five great kids (9, 14, 15, 17, 18). Currently seperated, I seem to be the only one of two us that wants to fix that at the moment therefore I am working on accepting the situation and moving forward. As the day-to-day parent of five and being firmly committed to setting as a healthy an example for my kids as I can, I thought this group might be a good place to plug into to help find friends in similar circumstances and ideas and support along the way.

A year ago I made the choice to turn myself around in order to become a better husband and dad. I joined MFP and from Mar'12 to Oct'12, I dropped almost 50 lbs. When my life went upside down I dropped MFP and tanked...losing another 15lbs (I don't recommend this method)...I made a decision to stop the slide, get back into my routine and get at least this part of life back together. I added back some of the weight I had starved off and reinstituted my exercise routine with much support from my kids. I am still working on a host of other important things but want to maintain the successes of this past year.

This past week I decided it was time to stop hiding away and start looking for new ideas and supportive folks to help keep me motivated with my routine as well as encourage my kids while juggling baseball practices, tennis practices, theater, field trips, sleepovers, meals, etc.

If you know where I'm coming from, would certainly appreciate some new friends to support and get support from during this crazy time.

- ChangingDad

Been there done that and it gets better with time, working out and having fun with your kids. I have 2 kids, 13 year old son and soon to be a college student 18 year daughter. I'm a full time dad and they are with me 90% of the time. If not for them I would not be here. Friend me if you want, I gotcha back,lol.

Tim
  • mdawson47
    mdawson47 Posts: 51
    Options
    I only have the one child (15) but feel free to add me if you want
  • MelodyinGa
    MelodyinGa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I am a solo parent to a wonderful 7 yo daughter. My hubby and I got married in 2002. I moved a 1000 miles (to PA) from my family to be with him and his 2 kids. Fast forward...I left in April 2009 after being totally invisible to him to the point that I was sleeping in our 8 x 8 office without any physical touch the last 14 mths I was there. I did everything in my power that I could to save our marriage. We went to intense marriage counseling for 8 months to no avail. Ultimately, he was "ministering" to a co-worker. Even after I left and moved back to GA, I thought God would save our marriage. I finally realized that it was over in 2011. We just went to divorce court in Jan 2013 due to property settlement issues.

There were days that I wanted to die, but I knew that I had a precious child that needed me. Today, I am doing really well. I've lost like 61 lbs and have become active to the point of running races, kayaking, camping, and all that good stuff. I had to go through this to realize how strong I really am. I believe in marriage 100%, but it's a losing battle when only one side is fighting for it. You're doing the best thing...picking up the broken pieces and creating a new masterpiece!

Best of luck to you.....LIFE IS GOOD! Believe it!

Melody
  • ChangingDad
    ChangingDad Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks Melody. What a great testimony. Well done on losing the weight and getting out there despite the circumstance.