Day 1: 30-Day Shred, Level 1 - Jillian Kicked My Tail

Options
jamluckett
jamluckett Posts: 4 Member
On Wednesday, I started Jillian Michaels' 30-Day Shred, Level 1.

I was inspired to finally get myself in gear, because I want to enlist in the Navy Reserve and will have to pass some fitness tests, as well as be in shape for the inevitable basic training. I'd wanted to get into shape long before, but couldn't really snap into a routine without quickly reaching a plateau. Hence, my last true exercise was back in 2004/2005.

CUT TO: I discovered Tiffany Rothe's workouts on YouTube and started doing those last week. Tiffany's workouts are amazing, fun, empowering, and effective and I'm going to keep doing those as well - I'm using her weekly schedule with a few extra videos thrown in. One such video was "Yoga Meltdown."

I started with "Yoga Meltdown" on Wednesday of last week. I should have known from the title, and the fact that it was Jillian, that it would be Yoga on steroids, but alas, I went in completely naive. It was tough, but...I then realized that it was exactly the thing I was seeking to complement Ms. Rothe's workouts... I also needed a more 'relentless' coach like Ms. Michaels.

I must admit that I let a lot of soreness and a little illness create some gaps in my regimen earlier this week, but yesterday, concluded that if I started "30-Day Shred" - the 10 day / 10 day / 10 day program would be 'digestible' enough to get over my initial hurdles and not make excuses. I told myself, "In just 30 days, you might see some results if you stick with it and your calorie-watching." It already seemed more within reach, breaking down to a more concrete time frame of potential expectations.

So I did it. In my rough shape, I still found myself gasping for air, even before the warm-up was complete. lol However, I pressed onward. I feel the main difficulties are that a. I don't yet have proper workout gear (clothing, shoes) and b. I don't yet have hand weights and the closest thing in my home which had enough weight to have any effect was a 12-lb medicine ball. I missed a few reps here and there, ran and quickly gulped down some water, but jumped back in and stuck it out.

With the exception of a few particular exercises, the 20 minutes went by much faster than I thought it would. I felt worn out, in the best possible way, and I was proud of myself for having made it through. I've got a little lower back soreness, but it's not enough to keep me from attacking day 2.

I was able to order hand weights today, and hope to get proper clothing and a scale in the near future. Meanwhile, I hope to be diligent about tracking on MyFitnessPal, as well as doing my combo of "30-Day Shred" and Tiffany Rothe's workouts. After I accomplished my 30-Day goals, I hope to mix up the Rothe workouts with others from Jillian - a return to "Yoga Meltdown" and "30-Day Ripped."

Replies

• AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    This is great, you will find you notice small improvements to your fitness each day, and will gradually be able to do the exercises more easily.

I'm just starting level 3 tomorrow and after that I plan to do a mixture of Jillian's other DVDs.

Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll get great results. :smile:
  • CrimeanGurl
    CrimeanGurl Posts: 103
    Options
    Stick to it! 10 Days from now, on the first day of L2, you'll be pretty nostalgic about how easy L1 was. I promise :)
  • jamluckett
    jamluckett Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Aw, thank you both!

I'm going for it! I did end up quite sore again, today, but I'm about to fire that video up again in 60 seconds and will tough it out! I feel, too, that it will get easier. I'd rather have a little physical discomfort now, than have disappointment and regret later, about letting myself slide again. Onward, we go!

Good luck and success to you, as well, in this month's goals!