Bridge to 10k

Options
Anyone moving on to this? or has done it? I am almost on week 9 of C25K and need to keep challenging myself on runs and distance. I'm enjoying this program so much, I want to keep going.

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I am going to maintain running 5K 3 times a week before moving on up to 10K. I am a new runner though, so I need to take it slow so that I don't end up with injuries. I definately am going to continue on though. I have a goal to run a 10K by the end of the year and then a half next year.
  • toddka1
    toddka1 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Just downloaded the C210K app for my phone. App lets me pick up where I left off on the C25K. Working on 30 Day Shred right now with walking on incline treadmill in addition. Hope to get out for a 5K this weekend. Cold and dark by the time I get home. Can't wait for daylight savings.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    I thought about doing it but they want you to go back to walking/running. I would prefer to keep running the whole time, just increasing my distance by .25 mile a week, still running 3x a week.
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm on W6D3 of 5k to 10k - active.com's app. Since I used their C25k app, I went with it.
    I cannot wait for next weekend and daylight savings to start. AND for more snow to melt of the sidewalks.

There is a Bridge to 10k group here. It hasn't been active in four months. :-(
  • loril13
    Options
    I thought about doing it but they want you to go back to walking/running. I would prefer to keep running the whole time, just increasing my distance by .25 mile a week, still running 3x a week.

The active.com 5k to 10k app starts you in right where C2k5 left off. D1 is a 20-25 min run, D2 is some sort of interval jog/run/fast run. D3 is an increasingly longer long run. There are no walking intervals.
  • xtrout
    xtrout Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    By the time I got around to planning a 10k, I was already running 6+ miles once a week so I have decided to skip over it and move on to training for a half marathon. So far so good. Sunday I will go out for a 10 mile long run which will be my longest to date.
  • Ajasper83
    Ajasper83 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I done my first 5k in November and laid off the running until about a month ago. I am picking back up with the 5k to 10k Run Double app and so far, so good. I will be starting w2d1 tomorrow. I noticed my endurance is still there, but at the time allotted for the app I am only at a little over 3 miles. Good luck!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I went straight to 10k from within a month of finishing c25k..I downloaded the app but worked on consolidating my 5k running. the gap from 5k to 10k was nowhere near as tough as going from couch spud to 5k :-) good luck!
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    There is a 10K app that continues right where my 5K app leaves off, so I"ll do that. t does add in a bit of walking, but the walking is really just between 20 minute runs. After that I have a half marathon training app that I'll start on.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I just downloaded the 10K app yesterday. I'm on week 9 also.
  • AmazonRDH
    AmazonRDH Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm a little bummed they don't have the 10K program online, it's only a phone app, and guess who has an old dinosaur flip-phone! LMAO! If anyone knows where it is on the inter-webz, please let me know! ----Someday I'll be like the cool kids and get a better phone!
  • luvmycats6197
    luvmycats6197 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! Just wanted to share some inspiration. I hated running all my life--even when I did sports in high school--felt awkward and never felt smooth or anything but did it just for practice drills we had... fast forward to years later and over 40 and overweight--so I finally decided to lose weight last year as my new years resolution. But by my birthday in March last year, I hadn't done anything yet. So I decided after a last hurrah (aka eating binges and vacation foods) during the first week of May when I went on vacation, I would get serious. So I joined here, and started a restricted calorie diet for a little while just to see some results to keep my motivation up. I started eating regular healthy meals again a couple months later and started running on August 1st with the C25K program! I did it every other day without fail no matter what the temperature or weather! I ran my first 5K Oct. 6th in under 37 minutes! The last several weeks of the C25K I had been adding more running time to the regular schedule--but only if my body told me it was ok to keep going. fast forward to now: I ran my first 10K this past Sunday in under my goal--did it in 63:17!
    I love the C25K program!! It was so good for motivation. It did not let you feel defeated! I remember W1D1 when I thought I was going to die running for 60 seconds! I kept looking at my watch and when it was only 30 seconds it felt like minutes!!! But I kept going. Between first week of May '12 when I joined MFP and the holidays in Nov/Dec, I have lost over 65 pounds!! and i've kept it off and lost a little bit more. And yesterday was my birthday and a lady sitting next to us was celebrating her birthday too! I've always known men to be a little off in guessing women's ages but women usually can get it close--but this woman said she had a son older than me--that he was 40! So I asked her how old she thought I was--and she guessed 10 years younger than I am!! (and I was not wearing any makeup!!!!) So Yay me--at age 44 now!!

KEEP GOING YOU ALL!! IT IS DO-ABLE!! And yes--at some point in it, most of you will get the "bug" and come to enjoy it!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

You want to go over there with me and make it active? I'm not planning on doing a 10k yet because I don't have the time to train, but we can share tips, etc. and make sure that anybody who posts gets answered.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I am in week nine now, and my 5K is in two days. I'd love to see the 10K group active, too.

My plan is to work on speed for a month or two, then to work the 10K program. I just started working with a trainer at the gym (who is a marathon runner/triathlete) and we are discussing my goals. One of them is to work on speed and stop avoiding hills.

My knees are hurting a little today. This is the first time during this whole process, so I'm wondering about the 10K distance...if I will start to have problems. But I'm up for it!
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    By the time I got around to planning a 10k, I was already running 6+ miles once a week so I have decided to skip over it and move on to training for a half marathon. So far so good. Sunday I will go out for a 10 mile long run which will be my longest to date.

Swoon. I want to be able to say something like that.

How was the 10 mile run?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

My knees are hurting a little today. This is the first time during this whole process, so I'm wondering about the 10K distance...if I will start to have problems. But I'm up for it!

Mine ached a couple of days ago. I think I was taking too big of strides on the treadmill (I blame Prince.)
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I've completed Active's 5k to 10K program and am now repeating it. I liked how the prgram is set up since I did Active's C25K program. I'm now repeating the program and again will be doing most of it indoors. Since I'm stuck indoors I'm upping my incline and will be running at a jog of 6.7mph.
  • meredithfp
    meredithfp Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I just started active.com's 5Kto10K program tonight. Now that I can run an entire 5K, my goal is to increase my speed. Though the run/walk intervals drive me crazy, I hear that inserting intervals of walking will let me make the runs faster. That's what I'm hoping for, at least.
  • loril13
    Options

You want to go over there with me and make it active? I'm not planning on doing a 10k yet because I don't have the time to train, but we can share tips, etc. and make sure that anybody who posts gets answered.

Sure. I am already a member of the group. It is much smaller than the C25k group.

Any other finisher's of C25k who are now doing 5k to 10k want to join us?
  • kaji13
    kaji13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I finished c25k in August and ran a few 5k's...I just increased my "long run" (I try to do at least one longer run a week) by 1/4 or 1/2 a week rather than doing the bridge to 10k because I didn't like the idea of going back to walking in the middle of my runs. I ran my first 10k this past weekend! :)