Strength Training and Eating at TDEE 15%

Options
LioshaM
LioshaM Posts: 129 Member
I have a question...So I've been reading that in order to build muscle you have to eat at a surplus (is this what bulking is all about?) Well this is my question, if you are eating at a deficit TDEE 15% and you are lifting (not necessarily heavy) what is going on inside the muscles? What's the key to finding the balance between building muscle and losing body fat? If I continue to eat at a deficit with the occassional break of course and still strength train, what can I expect from my body?

What is body composition all about.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    There's another in between level that happens - gaining LBM, which is everything but fat, and muscle is just part of it.

For all the claims you see of inches are lost and weight stays the same, so must be building muscle - huh, no, not at that rate claimed.
    Gaining other LBM items, water, glucose, ect basically.

Which is fine, that increases metabolism too, not just muscle.

If you are starting strength training and weak, you first run through using what you got, then if you keep overloading, and you have enough fat, you may slowly (1 lb in 2 months) gain muscle mass.

What's going on inside muscles is activating more of what you've got.

You'll keep losing fat while gaining some muscle very slowly, and more LBM. That will top out eventually, your increase in lifting will stop, and then you'll just keep losing fat and weight and no more body improvements, until you eat in surplus.

That is body recomp. Losing fat, gaining non-fat.
  • Gapwedge01
    Gapwedge01 Posts: 494
    Options
    There's another in between level that happens - gaining LBM, which is everything but fat, and muscle is just part of it.

For all the claims you see of inches are lost and weight stays the same, so must be building muscle - huh, no, not at that rate claimed.
    Gaining other LBM items, water, glucose, ect basically.

Which is fine, that increases metabolism too, not just muscle.

If you are starting strength training and weak, you first run through using what you got, then if you keep overloading, and you have enough fat, you may slowly (1 lb in 2 months) gain muscle mass.

What's going on inside muscles is activating more of what you've got.

You'll keep losing fat while gaining some muscle very slowly, and more LBM. That will top out eventually, your increase in lifting will stop, and then you'll just keep losing fat and weight and no more body improvements, until you eat in surplus.

That is body recomp. Losing fat, gaining non-fat.

Thanks Bales....good for me to read that (again).
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Well explained. To do weight training while cutting is essential to keep what you have got. The gain of Lbm is very small though. You can gain a it more eating at Tdee, but for muscle gain at a good pace, a surplus is necessary.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad this question was asked as I have been wondering about this!!!

I have a good percentage of fat to lose so I eat at a deficit but also doing heavy lifting with the hopes of building more muscle (or at the very least keeping what I already have). But was worried that the deficit would cause my workouts to be counter productive.

I'm so relieved to know it's all working in my favor at this point!!
  • AmyzNewGroove
    AmyzNewGroove Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Great question! Thanks for a great answer, Heybales!!