Let's Swap Recipes!

Options
kmcosgrove115
kmcosgrove115 Posts: 260 Member
The walnut brownies in FOK is amazingly sinful! I am looking online as I am at work for the recipe - if I cannot find it I will post it later when I am home in front of the book.............anyone have some good ones to share?

Replies

• 72MonteCarla
    72MonteCarla Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I made this DELICIOUS sandwich for dinner last night:

1 cup sliced crimini mushrooms (I didn't measure, I just used up what i had left)
    15 g chopped onion
    2 slices sprouted whole grain bread
    6 thin slices of tomato
    1/2 cup oil-free hummus (just garbanzos, a little water or vegetable stock, some lemon juice and spices - I like garlic, cumin and ground red pepper - pureed in food processor)

Sautee the onions & mushrooms (without oil) until tender. Spread 1/4 cup of oil-free hummus on each piece of bread. Add mushrooms/onions and tomato and make into a sandwich. Grill in non-stick skillet on medium-high heat until toasted. I put a loose fitting lid over it to heat help up the humus a little. Easy & really, really yummy! Enjoy!
  • lisadlocks
    lisadlocks Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the oil free hummus recipe. I will try it!
  • pb3693
    pb3693 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This isn't a very specific recipe, but I have found this particular combination to be extremely tasty by itself or as a topping/filler for a lot of different foods.

You will need:
    Tri Color Baby bell peppers - sliced in rings
    Onion - cut in large chunks, fajita style
    Minced Garlic - to your taste preference
    Kale - a few leaves chopped

Saute' the onion and garlic (in water) until the onion begins to soften, toss in the baby peppers and a bit more water, cover and let them steam until nearly soft. Toss in the chopped kale and simmer just long enough to soften it. You can add a little bit of lime juice or other spices according to your personal taste preference. I like it as is.

I also love to toss cubed baked sweet potato into the mix for a little sweetness. I've put this on top of bean burritos, eaten it by itself, tossed it on baked potatoes etc and its really good on everything I've tried :) Nice, warm, filling and colorful. Plus it lets me get the benefits of the leafy greens!

Another great recipe that I've tried is the French Toast from the Engine2Diet.com website.
    http://engine2diet.com/recipe/french-toast/

I've discovered that I like it best made with this homemade oil-free, super soft and yummy Oatmeal bread from VeganAsIWantToBe
    http://veganasiwanttobe.blogspot.com/2012/02/super-soft-oatmeal-bread-vegan-no-oil.html

I changed the recipe when I made it using 1/2 whole wheat flour, 1/2 bread flour, pulsed the oats in a food processor until they were like a coarse oat flour and tossed in some flax. I think it would be great with some raw sunflower seeds and chia seeds added in as well.
  • 72MonteCarla
    Options
    This isn't a very specific recipe, but I have found this particular combination to be extremely tasty by itself or as a topping/filler for a lot of different foods.

You will need:
    Tri Color Baby bell peppers - sliced in rings
    Onion - cut in large chunks, fajita style
    Minced Garlic - to your taste preference
    Kale - a few leaves chopped

Saute' the onion and garlic (in water) until the onion begins to soften, toss in the baby peppers and a bit more water, cover and let them steam until nearly soft. Toss in the chopped kale and simmer just long enough to soften it. You can add a little bit of lime juice or other spices according to your personal taste preference. I like it as is.

I also love to toss cubed baked sweet potato into the mix for a little sweetness. I've put this on top of bean burritos, eaten it by itself, tossed it on baked potatoes etc and its really good on everything I've tried :) Nice, warm, filling and colorful. Plus it lets me get the benefits of the leafy greens!

Another great recipe that I've tried is the French Toast from the Engine2Diet.com website.
    http://engine2diet.com/recipe/french-toast/

I've discovered that I like it best made with this homemade oil-free, super soft and yummy Oatmeal bread from VeganAsIWantToBe
    http://veganasiwanttobe.blogspot.com/2012/02/super-soft-oatmeal-bread-vegan-no-oil.html

I changed the recipe when I made it using 1/2 whole wheat flour, 1/2 bread flour, pulsed the oats in a food processor until they were like a coarse oat flour and tossed in some flax. I think it would be great with some raw sunflower seeds and chia seeds added in as well.

You are full of great ideas!!! Way to find ways to sneak in those greens. This all sounds divine. Thanks for sharing!
  • daniellebfit
    daniellebfit Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Yumo
  • kmcosgrove115
    Options
    Ok, better late then never!

This is a Walnut Brownie from the Forks Over Knives cookbook and as much as I enjoy eating plant strong, this brownie tastes EXACTLY like the real fattening, sinful thing - you must make these! And for the record, you can skip walnuts if you do not like and just make this fudgey gooey treat!

Makes 12 brownies

3 oz extra firm tofu - drained
    1/3 cup pitted prunes, rough stems removed
    1/2 cup unsweetened plant based milk (Almond Breeze or Silk are awesome!), heated until very hot but not boiling
    3/4 cup 100% pure maple syrup
    1/2 cup plus 2 Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
    3/4 cup water, heated until very hot but not boiling
    2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
    1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cups walnuts, roughly chopped (optional)

preheat oven to 325

line 8x8pan with 10 inch sq of parchment paper

crumble tofu in a blender / food processor

add prunes - pour in hot plant based milk and puree for about 30 seconds

add maple syrup and puree until relatively smooth

some flecks of prune are ok but there should be no chunks of tofu left

scrape down sides of blender / processor with rubber spatula to get all ingredients incorporated

sift coca powder into mixing bowl

add hot water and mix with fork until well combined - it should look like a thick chocolate sauce

add prune mixture to chocolate in mixing bowl and stir to combine

mix in vanilla

sift in half of the flour and add the baking soda and salt

mix well

mix in remaining flour and fold in walnuts (if using)

spread batter in baking pan - will be rather thick - you do not need to push it into the corners as it will spread as it bakes

bake for 17-20 mins - 17 mins will be a more fudgey brownie and 20 mins if you prefer a cakey treat

the top should be set and firm to the touch to know its done

remove pan and LET COOL (this is imp!) for at least 20 mins

slice into 12 squares and get ready to drool! you will have troble stopping at just one and boy they get better in the fridge chilled too!!!!
  • kmcosgrove115
    Options
    For anyone wanting oil and missing it while being plant based, I found this recipe and made it as I wanted to make garlic bread one night with my plant strong pasta - was using Ezekiel bread and fresh diced garlic cloves but needed that "oil" consistency to make it work - it really was not bad and you can't go wrong with such a simple recipe - shiny like oil and the spice give it the flavor - I still saute with water or homemade veg broth but who knew you could make "No Oil Oil???" LOL!

No-Oil Oil

Source: Benton Sister's Cookbook #3

1 cup water
    1 Tbsp. cornstarch
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 Tbsp. dried basil

Whiz in blender, water, cornstarch, and salt. Pour into saucepan; stir in basil. Heat to a boil. Cool. Will have the shine and consistency of oil to use in place of oil for those certain recipes or add your own favorite exotic flavor to this no-oil oil to add that special touch to that certain recipe.
  • 72MonteCarla
    Options
    For anyone wanting oil and missing it while being plant based, I found this recipe and made it as I wanted to make garlic bread one night with my plant strong pasta - was using Ezekiel bread and fresh diced garlic cloves but needed that "oil" consistency to make it work - it really was not bad and you can't go wrong with such a simple recipe - shiny like oil and the spice give it the flavor - I still saute with water or homemade veg broth but who knew you could make "No Oil Oil???" LOL!

No-Oil Oil

Source: Benton Sister's Cookbook #3

1 cup water
    1 Tbsp. cornstarch
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 Tbsp. dried basil

Whiz in blender, water, cornstarch, and salt. Pour into saucepan; stir in basil. Heat to a boil. Cool. Will have the shine and consistency of oil to use in place of oil for those certain recipes or add your own favorite exotic flavor to this no-oil oil to add that special touch to that certain recipe.

Hmmm... interesting. I assume I could leave out the salt.
  • kmcosgrove115
    Options
    Yep - and by the way we did the avocado salad dressing recipe today with cayenne - he LOVED IT!
  • SkinneyGirl28
    SkinneyGirl28 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Have you tried that "no oil" from the Benton Sisters for the oil in home made bread? This is the one place i need my oil to keep it moist.

SkinneyGirl28 :bigsmile:
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    The Engine 2 Diet website has a great meatloaf recipe. My husband eats meat and absolutely loved the meatloaf. I made it with baked sweet potatoes and a salad. GOOD EATS!!!
  • 45lbarrell
    45lbarrell Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    While the rest of the family was eating ice cream... I used my hand stick blender to make a great 'soft ice cream' using 1/2-1 cup almond milk, 1/3 c soy yogurt, 1 cup frozen blueberries and a squirt of agave. I've also done this with frozen bananas, strawberries & 1+ teaspoon of cocoa powder. Approximate measures.
  • SkinneyGirl28
    Options
    Ok, better late then never!

Makes 12 brownies

3 oz extra firm tofu - drained
    1/3 cup pitted prunes, rough stems removed
    1/2 cup unsweetened plant based milk (Almond Breeze or Silk are awesome!), heated until very hot but not boiling
    3/4 cup 100% pure maple syrup
    1/2 cup plus 2 Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
    3/4 cup water, heated until very hot but not boiling
    2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
    1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cups walnuts, roughly chopped (optional)

I want to try and make this. Are the prunes dried? I want to use carob powder as well.
  • SkinneyGirl28
    Options
    The reason I want to swap out carob is that chocolate is not vegan! According to the FDA.
    http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/ComplianceManuals/CompliancePolicyGuidanceManual/UCM074443
  • kmcosgrove115
    Options
    Nope - prunes are not dried - brownies are to die for!
  • 45lbarrell
    45lbarrell Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The Engine 2 Diet website has a great meatloaf recipe. My husband eats meat and absolutely loved the meatloaf. I made it with baked sweet potatoes and a salad. GOOD EATS!!!

Tried the loaf recipe, followed by loaf sandwich today. My daughter won't let me call it meatloaf..., but she did try a sandwich today, said it was 'weird', but at least she tried it! I must be getting used to all this plant based food because everything tastes good to me now.
  • jeannie0312
    jeannie0312 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Last night I made the best Vegan Pesto!!!

3 cups basil
    Juice of 1 lemon
    6 Tbsp pinenuts
    3 cloves Garlic
    1/2 tsp Sea Salt
    Put everything in your food processor & pulse until smooth
    then add slowly through spout
    4Tbsp of EVOO
    1/4 cup Nutrotional Yeast
    Pulse everything until smooth
    you may want to add a little water to thin sauce out a little

Enjoy :)
  • kmcosgrove115
    Options
    Gosh this thread just makes me hungry! Looking forward to trying the pesto now! Love it!
  • kmcosgrove115
    Options
    A no oil caesar dressing that tastes like the real thing:

http://healthygirlskitchen.blogspot.com/2011/05/homemade-vegan-no-oil-caesar-salad.html

Healthy Girl's Kitchen No-oil Caesar Salad Dressing

adapted from recipes by Amy Cramer (http://www.dinnersdonenow/) and Dr. Joel Fuhrman (http://www.drfuhrman.com/)
    makes 4 cups

1 15 ounce can garbanzo beans, unrinsed, undrained
    1/2 cup raw almonds, cashews or pistachios
    1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
    3 Tbsp Dijon mustard
    2 Tbsp capers with their juice
    2 Medijool dates (large dates)
    1 tsp garlic powder
    5 Tbsp lemon juice (roughly the juice of 2 lemons)
    1/2 cup or more water, to thin to desired consistency

Place all ingredients in a high powered blender or food processor and blend until a creamy consistency is achieved. Add more water as needed to achieve desired consistency.
  • jeannie0312
    jeannie0312 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I forgot I threw some water packed artichoke hearts, sundried & chopped kalamata olives :)