Induction

Options
Hi I am new to this group. I have done low carb before but not exactly Atkins. I do not have the book so I printed a copy of the inductions food list to go by. I was wondering how long have you stayed on the induction phase? And if you don't mind what were your results? Thank you, and I would love encouragement, friends and any suggestions. Also I am wheat intolerant so not eating bread, cake etc is not really a problem for me, I actually don't even feel like I miss it.

Replies

• CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Hi Christy, you can add me. I usually show up every day to check in, and welcome to this way of eating!
    I have been on and off Atkins for several years. The first time on induction I stayed on it for a couple of months, by choice. I just liked where I was and had enough variety to keep me interested. The first couple of weeks I lost 17lbs (not typical). At later inductions I didn't lose as much, but averaged about 12lbs or so in two weeks. I've noticed that if I added fat such as mayo, olive oil, and cream cheese to my meals that I got a better result.
  • daddybyday
    Options
    Hello, and welcome, Christy.

Well, this is my second attempt at Atkins. The first time around I stayed in induction for 1 month (added nuts to the program after 2 weeks), and lost between 15 and 20 lbs. This time around I lost almost 9 lbs in the first week. But, remember, every body is different, so please don't expect to lose like anyone else. But if you follow it, you should lose :wink:

You may want to check out the Atkins web site. They have a lot of free information, and a breakdown of each phase, with lots of helpful articles. And best of all, it's free (no, I'm not a paid representative, but I've used it lots).

Feel free to add me as well if you'd like.

Best of success to you!

Tom
  • Christy1125
    Options
    Thanks Tom and CoCoMa. I will check out the Atkins site more, I did print the induction phase food list. And thank you for the food that sped up your weight loss, I'll have to look into that. I sent a friend invite to both of you. Thanks again and I'll be reading the other posts on here too. It's nice to have support and to see what works for others.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I started induction last Friday (March 8) and I lost 7lbs in the first week and I haven't lost anything since then. I'm starting a C25K program so maybe I'm retaining water from that? I'm eating VERY clean so it's definitely not my diet. I did take measurements so if nothing happens weight wise or inch wise, I'll have to re-evaluate. I NEED to lose this weight, and I don't care if it's only 1lbs/week but it needs to be at least SOMETHING!!! lol Feel free to add me.
  • CoCoMa
    Options
    I started induction last Friday (March 8) and I lost 7lbs in the first week and I haven't lost anything since then. I'm starting a C25K program so maybe I'm retaining water from that? I'm eating VERY clean so it's definitely not my diet. I did take measurements so if nothing happens weight wise or inch wise, I'll have to re-evaluate. I NEED to lose this weight, and I don't care if it's only 1lbs/week but it needs to be at least SOMETHING!!! lol Feel free to add me.

WTG on your progress:drinker: I would suggest adding fat if you encounter a stall. I've done Fat Fasts in the past which was helpful, but I wouldn't recommend it for longer than 2-3 days.
    I did my first 5K last year, a mud run which was disgusting and fun at the same time. I've let myself go in regards to running, but I'm starting to get back to it.
  • livinglc
    livinglc Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi Christie, I'm new (tonight) to this group and to myfitnesspal, but not to Atkins. I started in 1.5 years ago, lost 40# and now am working daily to maintain. I thought I'd share my weight loss average, since it's different from others that posted. I saw many people had amazing results with 10 to 17 # lost in the first couple weeks. I never had that great result. I lost a steady 1# a week, and it took a year. I kept a handwritten food diary (too bad I didn't know about myfitnesspal) and I read everything I could find on Low carb eating. SouthBeach, Atkins, Ducet, Dana Carpender's many cookbooks, Life without Bread (the scientific info from German study). I highly recommend you get The New Atkins for a New You. This has so much really good advice that you'll want to read and re-read. I found that the websites did not have enough info to keep me motivated, but this book did. I also bought all the Dana Carpender cookbooks I could find and they are fantastic. I'm not crazy about the desserts, etc because I don't want to use the weird ingredients, but I love the protein recipes. They are quick, delicious and you'll feel like you are eating goumet, just by the little sauce you created in the pan from drippings, maybe wine, chix broth or cream. My husband is not LC (and has NO weight or health issues) and he's happy as can be with what I cook because it's delicous. And I also love them because they are so fast - you can come home from work and have dinner on the table in 20 to 30". I find that I have to cook (usually microwave) my veggies first because the main dish cooks so fast.
    This really is a good healthy eating life plan to follow. Especially if you have gluten intolerance since LC cuts out the grains.
    I don't eat any bread except the couple of Low Carb breads that are out there (they do have wheat in them).
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Hi guys... I have done some version of low carb mostly weekdays and not so great on weekends. I am 5'2" 130 lbs and reallly want to get to 120. this week has been a challenge but I too and going full throttle induction starting tomorrow 3/23. wish me look and if you see my diary and say what the>>>> I'll hear ya :wink:
    ''Good luck to the new folks and happy low carbs to all.
  • CoCoMa
    Options
    Hi Marcie,
    10lbs may come of slow, but you'll have to be strong during those weekends! I'll be here to support you and looking for support as well!
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Hi Marcie,
    10lbs may come of slow, but you'll have to be strong during those weekends! I'll be here to support you and looking for support as well!
    :flowerforyou: Losing weight is a team sport.....here for you too! I'm not in a rush to lose the weight and its probably really 7 (fluctuates between 127 and 130) and honestly if I stay focused on exercising and just feeling better the 7 lbs won't matter that much. good luck everyone!
  • Christy1125
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for the support. I lost 1 pound this week. I was upset at first, but I'm NOT going to quit. I have felt better this week so that is something positive too. If I haven't friended you I plan on it. This is a great group of people.
  • livinglc
    livinglc Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Losing a pound is great. Slow and steady is better than a quick loss, then nothing, and giving up. Keep doing what you're doing.
    I'm finding myfitnesspal to be addictive. For some crazy reason, I can't wait to log in my food and exercise for the day. I went for a walk today because I didn't want to have no exercise to record today. Great motivational tool.

Have you others found that myfitnesspal continues to be helpful for you?
  • highervibes
    Options
    Losing a pound is great. Slow and steady is better than a quick loss, then nothing, and giving up. Keep doing what you're doing.
    I'm finding myfitnesspal to be addictive. For some crazy reason, I can't wait to log in my food and exercise for the day. I went for a walk today because I didn't want to have no exercise to record today. Great motivational tool.

Have you others found that myfitnesspal continues to be helpful for you?

I'm the same! Totally motivated... come log, chat and be inspired :)
  • KurvyKitty
    KurvyKitty Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I started in January and have lost just over 20 pounds. I also tend to lose about a pound a week. Sometimes I get a little depressed over the slow loss, but I remind myself that I am losing at a HEALTHY pace...and everywhere I read, I find that this is better for not only long term loss but it allows your skin to respond to the weight loss as well. I've read where some people (particularly women) lost their weight too fast and now have this horrible ugly flap of skin which is as embarrassing as the fat was. I also try to remind myself, when feeling a little sad about the numbers on the scale...whats even more important is how I FEEL. That lethargic exhaustion that plagued me is gone. So much more energy, so little diabetic symptoms- in the long run its about your health, right? Stick with it, and don't get caught up in the numbers on the scale. Our bodies can fluctuate from water weight alone several pounds in a day.

Oh and one last comment...the scale says I've only lost 20 or so pounds..but my clothes are the REAL testimony. I have a long way to go still but going from a 24W to an 18W...and now those 18W are fitting loose- well, that speaks a lot louder then my scale. :)

Feel free to add me!
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Hi! I started a year ago and I've lost 78 pounds. I'm about 6 pounds from goal but I seem to be stuck. But I don't care. If I don't lose another pound, I am happy where I am! I'm wearing a smaller size than I dreamed of and I feel great! I'm on here everyday so you can add me if you'd like. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • elviramouse
    elviramouse Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Christie, I am also new to MFP and to Atkins I started Atkins about 6 weeks ago and lost 15lbs but for the following 2 weeks I had no loss so I joined MFP.
    Maybe you can help with this question my tracker has me over on my fat grams but under on my calories. so I am a little scared that I will be gaining.
    should I stay within that MFP range while staying on the Atkins Program?
    Thank you
  • highervibes
    Options
    Hi Christie, I am also new to MFP and to Atkins I started Atkins about 6 weeks ago and lost 15lbs but for the following 2 weeks I had no loss so I joined MFP.
    Maybe you can help with this question my tracker has me over on my fat grams but under on my calories. so I am a little scared that I will be gaining.
    should I stay within that MFP range while staying on the Atkins Program?
    Thank you

You can customize your macros. I would use the calorie guidelines that MFP suggest but change your fats and proteins. I have an 1800 cal goal not including exercise, and I changed my fat to be 65% and protein to 25% and carbs to 10%
  • AyeAye55
    AyeAye55 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi all!!! I am really excited to be on this site!!! I am very new to atkins but look forward to changing my lifestyle. Tomorrow will be day 1 for me...Wish me luck. :bigsmile:
  • rdonald57
    rdonald57 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    welcome and I am glad yoour excited maybe you could fire us all back up
  • dorkof82
    dorkof82 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hello hello!
    I started on Atkins induction in February of last year, did it combined with exercise until about may/June with cheat days here and there. I lost 50 lbs. then I was sporatic with my low carb having more and more cheat days, and eventually stopped Atkins all together and switched to weight watchers. Didn't have success with that. Gave up on everything for a little while then went back on Atkins with lots of cheat days again ( notice a pattern of self sabotage? Lol) after the holidays and the big family cruise in January of this year I decided to get back on track- I had to lose a bunch I gained back over the course of the year and the cruise, but I'm proud to say that I have lost about 30 lbs since mid January :) I plan to stay on induction until I reach or are near my goal and then I'll move to phase 2. Anyone can feel free to add me :)