Myfitnesspal and Low Carb lifestyle

Options
livinglc
livinglc Posts: 30 Member
New to myfitnesspal (tonight) and to this Atkins group. Been on Atkins plan for 1.5 years and lost 40 # and am working on maintaining.
My question is how you use myfitnesspal to monitor your carbs. This site does not have the correct carb count in their food database.
I eat about 50 net carbs a day to maintain. If I go over that, I gain.
The fitnesspal is a great site and I hope to use it to identify any eating issues I have that I didn't realize, but I need to trust the info.

Replies

• highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I changed my settings to reflect a more primal macros (60% fat, 30% protein and 10%carbs. I also edited my settings to track the fibre on my diary page so I can subtract the total carbs by the fibre and voila... Akins/Paleo?Primal friendly :) This is primarily why I keep my diary private.. most people can't wrap their head around ALLLLLL that satiating fat :)
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    You can also customize your food, as some foods in the database may not be accurate. For example, I only enter the fields that I'm concerned with such as carbs and fiber, everything else (fat, cals, etc..) is secondary. You can find the info in the USDA database (or visit fatsecret.com). It can be a chore to customize, but that's the best way to ensure accuracy.
  • livinglc
    livinglc Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advise. Very helpful!
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    When you are searching for foods in the database, add the word "carbs". This will pull up food items with adjusted carbs or net carbs. But be sure to check to make sure the carbs are correct. Sometimes it says "net carbs" but then it shows the full carb count. And like cocoma said, you can customize your own.