Reception Food

Options
bioheil
bioheil Posts: 72 Member
So we are having a New Years Eve wedding and starting our reception and ceremony a little later so things will still be going strong at midnight. Since we are having things a bit later we decided against a traditional plated meal and instead area doing an hordourvs buffet. We are thinking sliders, meatballs, antipasto trays, our caterer even has an idea for a mashed potato bar in fun martini glasses with lots of different toppings! What is everyone else doing?

Replies

• AvalonsUnicorn
    AvalonsUnicorn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking for mine soup and sandwiches. We aren't inviting more than 50 people.There will be no drinking due to the fact neither of us believes in it. We'll do sparkling cider for the toasting. Also We are dong cupcakes instead of a cake cause I think it will be cheaper PLUS its a small local business and I've ordered from her before. Let me just say her cupcakes can't be beat! Speaking of which if any one knows where to cheaply get a decent cupcake tree thing for about 50 or so cakes the top being one of those big ones please let me know. I have a limited budget and I'm having no luck finding one that looks nice.
  • clairecandoit11
    clairecandoit11 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    When I first got engaged and started planning where we would have our reception I started to feel this overwhelming sense of stress fall over me between finding a place that holds a lot of people and a caterer and a place to get linene/silverware, etc... AHH! So I came across this family owned venue that has it all in one! They do their own catering, provide a DJ, tables,linens, silverware, glassware, tables for the cake/bridal party, etc... so we are having two different kinds of chicken, mashed potatos, salad, green bean casserole. SO EXCITED!
  • ssime1980
    ssime1980 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    For the evening reception we are having a hog roast!! Very fun!! xx
  • juliebmomof3
    juliebmomof3 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Oh we wanted to do a pig roast, but it was reeeaally expensive. We decided a long time ago that we were going to keep it simple and put more effort into an awesome honeymoon lol. We are making our own buffet with pulled pork, sausage, macaroni salad, meatballs, rigatoni, roasted potatoes, salad, meat and cheese trays. Wow now I am hungry lol
  • TheSpicyMermaid
    TheSpicyMermaid Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Taco and Margarita man? Do they have a lasagna man? I love lasagna. Like Garfield.

Since we are having a destination wedding, our "reception" will be after we get back. It's more of a laid back celebration. Nothing fancy. No tablecloths. No uncomfortable dresses. Food, drink, booze and lots of dancing. :)
  • Miss_Aurora
    Options
    I posted this in another thread before, but without as much detail ..

We'll be having a champagne & cake reception in a hall after the wedding. We were going to go for a church hall .. but looks like the elections are going to be on the same day and we are sure that will mean no halls will be available :( So going to have to rethink that one! LOL

We're looking for a hall with a nice garden or grass area so we can get a van like this audrey-the-vintage-caravan-vintage-glamour-days.jpg You can get devonshire or high teas catered by the caravan company. So that will pad out the champers & wedding cake.

There is a local one that's oh so cute, but we may not get to have our wedding locally and in that case we'll just be in the hall.

In the evening we'd take everyone out for dinner. There are only going to be about 30 of us, so we'll be after something laid back.
  • heykaraoke
    heykaraoke Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Initially we were having a morning/afternoon wedding (ceremony at 11, brunch reception from 12-4) and I wanted to serve brunch for the meal with stations set up - omelette station, waffle station etc. and have a fruit bar, pastry bar, and a gourmet coffee bar, too. My fiance likes the idea but my family is so against it so I think we're going to switch to an evening wedding (ceremony at 3:30, cocktail hour from 4:30-5:30, dinner and dancing till 9:30). So we'll be having a sit-down and offering three dishes: chicken, beef, or seafood pasta.

Jeez, re-reading this, I still really love my brunch idea. Maybe I'll just tell my family to shove it so I can have my waffles! lol
  • Miss_Aurora
    Options
    HeyKaraoke ... it's your wedding. You wouldn't let them dictate what you wore, how you do your hair. They should love & respect whatever style wedding you have!.. And it sounds so good to me, it's made me think how much I LOVE brunch, and maybe i could do that instead of arvo tea :D
  • Bunniculette
    Bunniculette Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    We are trying to keep it low key AND keep costs down. We're are doing BBQ in a historic barn AND (gasp) allowing children to come, you should have seen my step mother's face lol! Miss Aurora is right, do what you want, it's YOUR wedding