Eating nose-to-tail

Options
Quinnstinct
Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
I know we are supposed to be incorporating all parts of the animal into our diet, not just muscle meat, for health reasons and balance but organ meat doesn't appeal to me having grown up on the SAD. How do you incorporate more parts of animals in your diets? Tell me about your organ meat recipes and experiences please. I did make bone broth once and it turned out a lovely gelatinous consistency but I didn't like the taste, I will have to try again. Thanks for the advice and hopefully good discussion!

Replies

• tracy1344
    tracy1344 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I like liver but nobody else in my family does, so I'm stuck eating the whole amount. I have some beef liver in the freezer that I'm going to do this too. I could get my husband and kids to eat it this way....

"What’s on the trays? That’s beef liver, cubed and refrozen. Beef liver is extremely nutrient-dense, but the flavor is off-putting to many (including one of us!). So we thawed it, chopped it up into pill-size portions, and re-froze it. We take them like frozen supplement pellets a few times a week—all the nutrition without any flavor." quote from http://www.wellandgoodnyc.com/2012/10/07/refrigerator-look-book-dallas-and-melissa-hartwig/#
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Eat at ethnic restaurants. I can get tendon, tripe and other weird goodies in my pho at the Vietnamese place I just found, and it's pretty close to paleo. And it's freaking delicious. And cheap.

You can get dried liver to mix into stuff... vegetable juice is recommended.

Eat some liverwurst or braunschweiger.

ummm... Bone broth... keep trying. I've made one batch that was good, and one that was terrible (too much vinegar, and it ruined the flavor).
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Interesting idea about the liver pills, I would assume I need to buy the very best quality liver especially because it's organ meat.

I wish I liked liverwurst or braunschweiger, my mom fed it to me as a kid and apparently I liked it then on white bread.

Great suggestions, thanks. There is a new Vietnamese restaurant opening by me, I'll see what they might have!
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I like liver but nobody else in my family does, so I'm stuck eating the whole amount. I have some beef liver in the freezer that I'm going to do this too. I could get my husband and kids to eat it this way....

"What’s on the trays? That’s beef liver, cubed and refrozen. Beef liver is extremely nutrient-dense, but the flavor is off-putting to many (including one of us!). So we thawed it, chopped it up into pill-size portions, and re-froze it. We take them like frozen supplement pellets a few times a week—all the nutrition without any flavor." quote from http://www.wellandgoodnyc.com/2012/10/07/refrigerator-look-book-dallas-and-melissa-hartwig/#

Thanks for this! I tried liver for the very first time today. I did not like it. I mean, it was palatable and I could probably MAKE myself eat it, but why do that to myself? I am definitely going to try it this way.