paleo?

Options
chuckles9189
chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
Hi There,

I started my 30 day paleo challenge today. I'm concerned about getting enough calories. Is anyone else paleo out there that has any advice?

I purchased avocados and nuts and some almond butter to help boost me through this. but as of today I'm feeling pretty satisfied and not even at 1500 net cals?

Thanks in advance :)

Chelsea

Replies

• Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Sorry, can not really help you on that one. Just try to hit your calories. The food you have stated should help you getting there.
  • AmyzNewGroove
    AmyzNewGroove Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    This is a tricky one; following Paleo strictly for the first time likely means greatly increasing overall fat intake (good fats of course :smile:), and while your body gets used those additional fats you will feel much more satiated and less hungry. In fact, you might feel stuffed to the brim before even getting to your BMR... Eventually, your body will adjust to having less carbs and begin burning fats for fuel, and it's likely your appetite will increase at this that point, but it might still take a concentrated effort to meet your TDEE. Eating nutrient dense foods, like those you mentioned, will help a lot. I would add coconut oil to that list, add it to your coffee, or smoothies, etc., (google bullet proof coffee if you are a coffee drinker). Add those oils everywhere you can. Red/dark meat is your friend!!

Also, how new are you to EM2WL? You might want to set one of these two lifestyles as higher priority than the other...trying to repair metabolism all while teaching your body to function on fats (vs carbs) might be too much to handle at once, know what I mean??
  • amandacepstein
    amandacepstein Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi Chelsea,

There are a lot of different "varieties" within "Paleo" and they do not have to be low carb, necessarily. For example, potatoes are one of the most nutritious foods - it has a complete amino acid profile, lots of potassium, ditch the skin unless you love it. Sweet potatoes, and fruit, are all paleo friendly as well. You can also do "primal" which differs by allowing dairy if it works for you. Some paleo folks are even saying rice is fairly safe. Rice is a good way to get calories up easily if you chose to use it.

So, just a reminder, Paleo does NOT equal low-carb, though MANY practice it that way. Doing low-carb paleo-almost always results in a very low calorie intake, which in turn leads to metabolic damage and thyroid issues. I caution you if that is what you are attempting. Dr. Atkins himself said that his diet (low carb) would damage the thyroid over time.
  • chuckles9189
    Options
    I'm bumping this topic up with a new questions because I'm confused.

I've been eating mostly primal (with the exception of the last couple days due to being sick/out of town) but I really have to eat a LOT of avocados and nuts to get my calories. This seems really dumb to me. I've creeped around the paleo/primal boards and lots of people post about not meeting their calorie goal. and everyone says "that's okay! your metabolism will slow to adjust." This also seems really stupid to me. I didn't eat unhealthy before I switched. I mostly just cut out bread and oatmeal. I still get plenty of carbs (sweet potatoes, apples and bananas mostly). I had a pretty happy fat diet before paleo as well (good fats).

Here's why I ask. I really want to start NROL4W next week (I'm getting over my fear of the weight room a little more each day!) I know you can't build muscle in a deficit unless you have a lot to lose. I only have 15-20 pounds so I want to be eating at the book's recommendations. I think that perhaps paleo isn't the thing for me at this time. I wanted to dabble with paleo for a while before I started lifting so my body could get used to it. but I'm thinking in order to get my calories in I should just eat the damn oatmeal for breakfast and quit worrying so much about it. I'm not sure if I'm asking a question as much as I am just looking for some advice for those who are paleo, or maybe from some who have gone back and forth.
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I eat primal (for a year and a half) and I have no trouble reaching my macros, and eating enough. I's not hard to eat even 200 g carbs a day, which is a good thing to do nights before your workouts, and cut back to half that or a little more on the days you work out, depending on you goals. it is possible to be paleo and do EM2WL. Even the Paleo stalwarts suggest 80/20. you can still eat some rice and oatmeal if you want.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I eat a paleoISH diet. I do eat dairy but I don't eat gluten or grains. I was finding it pretty difficult to meet my calorie goals the first few weeks but I'm in the swing of things now! Good fats are satiating and good carbs are not very calorie dense and I didn't want to overdo it on protein. I ended up making something called "fat bombs" that I got as a recipe from here actually. It was a good way to get 150 extra calories with little protein or carbs.

FAT BOMBS

1C Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil
    3/4C Almond Butter
    3/4C Butter (unsalted)

Melt in pan over low-med heat. Once melted STIR IN

1/4C shredded coconuts
    1/4C walnuts chopped fine
    7 packets Truvia (stevia and xylitol) Optional

our these into silicon candy moulds (i get 30 decently sized flowers... I'll post a pic) and I usually eat them with berries as a snack. They are delicious, nutritious and a good way to get extra calories at 150 cal each :)

fatbomb.jpg
  • janelleduah
    Options
    I have been eating Paleo since August 2012 and yes avocados, nuts, coconut oil, clarified grassfed butter, coconut butter, and nut butters all help. But honestly, to meet goal, do what everyone has to do: just eat bigger portions. Eat more protein, cook your vegetables in a generous amount of allowable oils, eat snacks, maybe even introduce green smoothies and use nut butters, coconut oil, avocados, and full fat coconut milk to make them creamy.
  • chuckles9189
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! Definitely going to have to try those "fat bombs!"

Also, I had oatmeal this morning and was SOO hungry an hour and a half later, I remembered why I wanted to try paleo in the first place. I think on the days that I get grumpy or need to go grocery shopping I start doubting everything. Or days I get tired, because it takes more work. So thanks, everyone!