Protein shakes, yay or nay?!

Options
lori_en
lori_en Posts: 133 Member
Hi guys,

Need some advice and I hope you guys can help...

I've been trying for ages to figure out how to minimise how much fat and carbs (they cause me to have bloating) I eat but keeping myself full. Didn't realise how difficult this would be considering I have no time in the morning to have brekky at home and the canteen at work is rubbish!
I was watching a show last night where someone was talking about their daily routine where they had a bowl of cereal for breakfast and then a protein shake as a mid morning snack to keep their hunger down; as a big fan of low carb and high protein, I did wonder how I had never thought of that before.

So I was wondering, do you guys think it would be a good idea for me to try? I have lost roughly 20lbs so far since being here, but I seem to be stuck at 145lbs and still with a round bloated belly, that I've been trying to lose for years, but so far no such luck!
If I was to start having a shake it would only be one in the morning, as I tend to have no problems between lunch and dinner, it's just the mornings I find exceptionally hard...
I should also point out anoth rreason I'm asking is I've read that if you're not doing a lot of exercise then having protein shakes means you put weight on... other than doing pole dancing a few times a week and a lot of walking, my job means I'm sat at a desk pretty much all day, so I don't want to be having something as a snack that would make me put on weight...

Hope you guys can point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Does porridge (oats) work for you? I'd rather go natural if possible than eat manufactured goods. Oh, and eat lots of these:

happy-chicken.jpg

Even for breakfast. It's breaking an overnight fast. You can eat what you want so why not chicken breast for breakfast?
  • ipiddock
    ipiddock Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    There are different kinds of Protein shakes. Some are known as weight gainers, which are high in calories and will put weight on if you don't put the calories to work in a gym. But there are many protein isolate shakes around that give you protein at a very economic calorie rate. However, natural sources are always best and will keep you better satisfied. A tin of Tuna for example will give you 35 grams of protein at 140 calories, whereas an Isolate Protein shake would give you around 30gams of protein for the same amount of calories.
  • ipiddock
    Options
    and I agree also with chicken, chicken, chicken. I often eat between 200-400 grams of it a day.
  • lori_en
    Options
    Thanks for replying guys.

Darren: Yes I did Porridge for quiet a while, but I found it didn't fill me up for long and it also made me bloated due to the milk (slight lactose intolereance!)

And turkey breast is my staple food of the week pretty much, I have it nearly everyday for dinner and I love it! :)

I should point out as well when it comes to snacking, my office are pretty strict in what you can and can't eat during work hours... hence my idea of the protein shake, a drink is acceptable, but sitting here scoffing some tuna or chicken I don't think I'd get away with! :/
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    What a sucky workplace!

I've wondered the same things though since I've been keeping more of an eye on my protein levels given my calorie increase on some days I struggle to hit it without going over on fat.
  • ipiddock
    Options
    I should point out as well when it comes to snacking, my office are pretty strict in what you can and can't eat during work hours...

Do what?

Where on earth do you work? A slight human rights issue me thinks. You are entitled to have a break - I'm sure the smokers do!
  • lori_en
    Options
    We're allowed snacks like biscuits and crisps and stuff, but when it comes to other things that could count as a meal, that has to be saved till lunchtime.

And yeah a lot of people have moaned about the factt hat smokers get a break and the non smokers don't... but nothing has ever been done about it! :/

For the time being I have bought myself some protein bars that I came to like when I was on the atkins a few years ago.
  • ipiddock
    Options
    We're allowed snacks like biscuits and crisps and stuff.

So your company allows you to consume unhealthy food during work hours but if you want to eat healthy you have to wait until its on your own time ;-)
  • F1uffy123
    F1uffy123 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    The work thing isnt great! I can relate though because my old company were the same. I think its more around having hot food at desks and the perception it gives and potential disuption to others around, but at the end of the day you cant really do a lot about it so just best to find what suits you.

I prefer eating naturally but i have found recently that i just havent been able to fit in as much protein as id like within my calorie goal.

I eat a lot of chicken, eggs etc but theres only so much i can eat each day, therefore i have started to have 1 protein shake a day just to boost that intake.

Im using optimum nutrition gold standard whey. This way i get an extra 24gm of protein from just a 29gm scoop which is 111 calories.
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    i have just stopped taking using protein powder, as it is processed and I did find that it gave me a bad stomach - may be something to think about.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Your belly won't go away from drinking protein shakes rather than eating actual food, if that's what you're asking. To get rid of your belly, you need to lose fat. There's no way to decide where the fat will come off first, but if you stick with it, your belly will eventually go. Losing fat entails eating at a moderate caloric deficit, exercising, sleeping well, and reducing stress levels.

I don't see why your work would require you to eat junk foods (protein bars are included in that for me) rather than healthy ones as snacks. Can't you have fruit, veggies, some sort of cheese/yogurt/pre-cooked meat?
  • spongeh
    spongeh Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I love my protein shake and have it every morning for breakfast on the go. 300ml of milk + 45g scoop into the shaker and I can then mix it and drink it on my way to work. Helps me feel fuller through the morning.
  • ChristyJade
    ChristyJade Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Rather than cracking out hot chicken meal at your desk can you not just eat some cold cooked chicken beast or legs? Or boiled egg or something? They can't discriminate between crisps and some chicken :-) I find that a glass of milk can be quite satisfying...
  • quietattheback
    quietattheback Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue/rules in work :( the skinnies sit scoffing chocs sweets etc while i am starving! I have taken to hiding boiled eggs in the kitchen and offer to make the mid morning cuppa so as i can grab something to eat, i get really hungry and start to feel sick and dizzy otherwise, another thing i started to do recently is bring a few brazil nuts in, they are high in calories but i measure them out ... They help add protein to my diet and curb the hunger a little x
  • caroleannlight
    caroleannlight Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes can be a useful way to bump up protein IMO. Why not try it and see if it works for you!. I have protein shakes as I find it hard to meet my protein goals otherwise ( I don't eat meat). Whey isolate is vey economical on calories depending what you mix it with. Otherwise a measured out portion of almonds is a good idea. My go to snacks are nakd bars which are not high in protein but healthy and lowish in cals. Good luck
  • Kyledrums
    Kyledrums Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've been having a protein shake to start the day revently and find it fills me up for the morning. Well I have that, some fruit and some breakfast biscuits. Though I'm going to start having less of the biscuits to help cut down on sugar.

I'm veggie so having a boost to my protein does me some good and I like how quick and easy the shakes are in the morning.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying guys.

Darren: Yes I did Porridge for quiet a while, but I found it didn't fill me up for long and it also made me bloated due to the milk (slight lactose intolereance!)

I have porridge with just hot water but you might not be able to stomach it. :o)
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Could you have some mixed nuts as well as I worry that a protein shake alone wouldn't be much of a meal.
  • plantboy2
    plantboy2 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Wasabi peas are a good alternative to crisps, etc. high protein, low carb. Nothing wrong with a few nuts and fruit too