PALEObucks -how do you like your coffee?

Options
This is just meant to be a fun topic. I've been trying to lay off coffee during the week because I would like to reduce my anxiety. The other day, I couldn't bear without it so i decided to stop and get a coffee from Dunkin Donuts. Then I realized, how am I supposed to order coffee to make it paleo friendly? haha I couldn't stand drinking black coffee so I gave in ordering a hot coffee with cream. How does everyone else order coffee!?!? Would love to try new options!

Replies

• amielu
    amielu Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love the taste of coffee so I go with an espresso or espresso machiatto extra dry :-0
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    My husband laughs at me, but if we go out for breakfast, I smuggle coconut milk into the restaurant in a small glass bottle in my purse. I know, total paleo nerd right here :blushing:
  • strychnine7
    strychnine7 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Black, no sugar... Then again I drank it like that even before I was started eating paleo. Occasionally, I'd use cream but only to cool it down so I could drink it faster. A lot of folks like butter, coconut oil or other paleo-friendly fat in their coffee. It's way too much work, what with the blending and such, for me to bother with it though.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I'm 90% primal because I refuse to give up my sweetened cream in my coffee.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    My husband laughs at me, but if we go out for breakfast, I smuggle coconut milk into the restaurant in a small glass bottle in my purse. I know, total paleo nerd right here :blushing:

lol adorable!!

i'm more primal than paleo, but i like plain old milk. no sugar. i have to try coconut milk creamer though it sounds great. i just rarely drink coffee so i don't know if it'd expire before i could use it all
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I don't typically have coffee when I'm out--usually just tea. I've enjoyed bulletproof coffee in the past, but am having coffee from my favourite beans with a tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder and a teaspoon of cinnamon. No sweetener, no dairy. If I were ordering from a restaurant, I'd just have a black americano, no sugar.
  • jordanna1979
    jordanna1979 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just can't give up coffee cream!! I found a recipe online though through pinterest I think for French Vanilla Coffee Creamer on Against All Grain...going to try it out!
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I used to drink coffee with cream and sugar. Now I only order with with cream. It took some getting used to, but now I prefer it without the sugar. It's too bitter black, but I am enjoying the slight bitterness of having it without sugar. I would put cinnimon in it to help the flavor. Occasionaly, I would put a pinch on sugar.... just a pinch!

I live in Atlanta, so it's HOT. I've gotten used to drinking my iced coffee this way and when they accidently put sugar in it, I get so grossed out now.

It also dpends on the coffee too. I used to drink DD everyday, but I do not like their coffee with just cream. It has a burnt flavor to me. I drink Starbuck's or make my own.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I love it black, strong and in large quantities, I adore bitter things, so when I see people adding cream, sugar or whatever I sometimes wonder what planet I'm on.

I sometimes nibble of some dark chocolate while drinking coffee in the afternoons. It's delicious.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I made my own creamer with coconut milk and pureed dates for a couple months. but I am soooooooo sick of it now...
  • bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of going Paleo and I think i'm in trouble here. I live in Spain where there is a coffee shop on every corner. I've never seen people drink coffee like they do over here. I have to have my cafe con leche 2-3x a day which is good because I used to drink it up to 5x a day. How do you give up the milk? And what about raw sugar? Is that not Paleo. Maybe i'll do Paleo majority of the time but still have my cafe con leche with 2 raw sugar packets only 2x a day.
  • WillowBreeze
    Options
    I can't give up dairy: period. I follow all other paleo guidelines except that one.. I put a bit of milk in my coffee and do eat cheese/cottage cheese.

...no self control against my love of dairy prducts!
  • bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I can't give up dairy: period. I follow all other paleo guidelines except that one.. I put a bit of milk in my coffee and do eat cheese/cottage cheese.

...no self control against my love of dairy prducts!

That's going to be a struggle for me as well. I love yogurt, cheese, and milk. I have yogurt 1-2x a day and I have milk in my coffee 2-3x a day and I just love to nibble on cheese.
  • tracy1344
    tracy1344 Posts: 51 Member
    Options

Hahaha....that is so me!! Glad I'm not the only one that smuggles in paleo necessities.
  • cng31183
    cng31183 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Try it black with a hunk of dark dark chocolate dropped in.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I was drinking it with stevia and unsweetened almond milk but as of this morning I dropped the stevia. I like it just fine with only the almond milk. It also helps that we grind whole beans fresh each morning so I am starting out with good coffee.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I pulled up my big girl panties and drank it black. For 3 weeks it sucked, and then coffee started tasting good again. I do like the favored coffees more now. (I don't know if they are paleo or not but ignorance is bliss.)
  • sailawaykate
    Options
    Just depends on the day. I love coconut milk or regular milk in my coffee (mostly primal), but sometimes the brew is just so smooth I can't bear to put anything in it!
  • bananasandbarbells
    bananasandbarbells Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    bsmith-consider checking out primal diet...it's similar to paleo except its more lenient and allows dairy products and cheese. I think you should just take the basic principles from Paleo and adapt it to your lifestyle and figure out what works best for you. For example, i don't like black coffee so why should I drink black coffee just because its part of Paleo guidelines? Another important point is that it should become a lifestyle rather than a diet, so if you can't imagine not drinking your cafe con leche ever again, then you shouldn't take it away!
  • bananasandbarbells
    bananasandbarbells Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! I am excited because now I have some new ways to make my coffee! I checked some forums online too and got some ideas. Today I ordered a Misto tall from Starbucks with heaving whipping cream-no sweetener. It was delish and exactly what I was looking for!