BC PILL and HEARTBURN?!

Options
ThriftyChica12
ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
First, I have NEVER had heartburn in my life, even when I was an unhealthy eater years ago.

Now, I am a clean-eating vegan for 2+ years, and never had heartburn.

Went back on BCP this past week after being off for the better part of a year, PLUS it's a new brand (Reclipsen)....
I have had heartburn for a few days no matter what I eat! :sad:

Just did some research, and there are TONS of links between BCP and heartburn on the internet.

This just makes me wanna go OFF my pill again, and explore some of the alternative treatments for PCOS...
i HATE drugs and medications...

Replies

• ThriftyChica12
    Options
    In a few weeks once the BCP comes out of my system...I plan to start Saw Palmetto and/or Vitex (Chasteberry) carefully and in small doses.

MY symptoms of PCOS are not extreme, and frankly, this BCP-heartburn connection that I just experienced has me back to seeking natural alternatives....
  • LoveFitNation
    LoveFitNation Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hiya - I never had heart burn when I was on BC but honestly I wasn't on a strong BC at all...I couldn't handle the drugs - it would make me throw up all the time unless I was on a very very low dosage...somewhere on her I asked everyone about natural medications...some people came up with some great alternatives...you might want to look it up if you have time...

Are you wanting to control the PCOS or trying not to get pregnant??
  • LoveFitNation
    LoveFitNation Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/906113-natural-medications

(The link to what other ideas I was told about)
  • ThriftyChica12
    Options
    Hiya - I never had heart burn when I was on BC but honestly I wasn't on a strong BC at all...I couldn't handle the drugs - it would make me throw up all the time unless I was on a very very low dosage...somewhere on her I asked everyone about natural medications...some people came up with some great alternatives...you might want to look it up if you have time...

Are you wanting to control the PCOS or trying not to get pregnant??

thanks so much for the info in the link.

PS: i was on BC only to control PCOS (acne, irregular menses)...I use other forms of contraception to prevent pregnancy.
  • pland54
    pland54 Posts: 132
    Options
    I've experienced that too on two different brands of birth control pills. I've tried at least 7 different kinds over the years because I've had different problems with every single one. If your symptoms are not severe (which is awesome btw) and you don't need it as a contraceptive, then I'd ditch it so fast....I generally really dislike birth control pills, and I hate that I really haven't had the option of walking away from them completely because my symptoms are severe and so far I haven't had other options. Some people do very well on them and never have any problems, but a lot of people are the opposite.

Good luck! And if you find success with some natural products, be sure to tell us about it :)
  • ThriftyChica12
    Options
    thanks everyone for the feedback and info!!!

UPDATE: now it's been 3 days since i stopped the BCP due to fears it was causing my heartburn, and as of yesterday, I am heartburn-FREE!

The first day or two off the BC, i still had a little HB. however, yesterday was my first day that I was HB free....AND, i ate tofu in chili sauce, citrus fruits, and even some popcorn before bed...no HB :drinker:

soooo.....hopefully i continue to stay HB free. then i will be pretty sure it was the BC. while i *could* just try another BC brand, maybe the message here is to try natural remedies for a while.

already, i have found a used a GREAT treatment for dandruffy dry scalp and slightly thinner hair: NEEM POWDER.
    get a box at the Indian grocer for about $1-$2 dollars, u get about 2 treatments per box.
    mix powder with warm water to make a paste, cover scalp with it, massage in, leave on for 30 mins, rinse out.
    one treatment, and my scalp is less flaky, my hair is glossy, and looks a little thicker :smile: