New To Paleo, feelin groggy but I have too much pride!

Options
I'm brand new to paleo... I understand from just a little research this heavy eyelid daze with fatigue and blah feeling should go away soon.. I'm trying to go cold turkey. I'm only 26 and I got bloodwork back that I have bad cholesterol. I started monday morning, and haven't broken yet.. I plan on making this serious due to the fact that i'm adopted and have NO idea of my biological genetics, i.e. prone to heart disease diabetes, etc. I had my fun in college and after, love miller lite and burritos, but i realize if i'm going to make a change it has to be now. I have a lovely girlfriend who i live with that was a college athlete and is a health nut, so my support system is strong, mind you i have two other roomates, that a girls, yes i'm a 26 year old guy that lives with 3 other girls... i need a tv show.. but they are all very clean eaters, if there's crap food in the house its mine. but now it's in the garbage and it was taken yesterday so i can't dumpster dive if i'm desperate.... I'm just wondering how long it takes to start feeling like a superhero because everyone i know that has done this diet is well...like a superhero as far as energy goes. wish me luck

Replies

• bananapancakebella
    Options
    Feel free to add me, I'm 28 and went paleo a few weeks ago.

For me, most of my sugar cravings and low carb flu was gone after day 3 or 4, but for some people it lasts a few weeks. I ate pretty healthfully before so I might have had it easier than most. But I love paleo so far. I feel pretty awesome.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I had a couple days of feeling really horrible somewhere in the middle of that first week. The first day I just gritted my teeth and carried on, but the second day I was just out of it--terrible headache and really crap mood, tired....so I had a baked sweet potato with a bit of coconut oil and cinnamon, and that did it for me. Felt great immediately after I consumed that and was perfectly fine from there on out. That was back in July 2012. You can do it! Eat a sweet potato if you must, and make sure you're drinking lots of water.
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    I had about 5 days of the carb-flu (headaches and fatigue). It took about two full weeks for my body to adjust in total. Best of luck on your paleo journey!
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Everyone's advise so far is sound. I had about a week or two of carb-flu symptoms too. After that it was smooth sailing.

Good luck with your journey! I hope you share your successes with us.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I agree with Luper! Grab yourself a sweet potato!
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I felt crappy for about a week, but things have been great since! Hold in there! You can add me if you'd like, I've been eating primal for about 2 months.
  • Chipmunk222
    Chipmunk222 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have been using a cup of warm chicken broth and it has kept the carb flu symptoms at bay. :)
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Hang in there it takes 3-5 days.
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the gtiuo! Push through you are almost there!
  • sherrya68
    sherrya68 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am also new. I would really enjoy having some paleo buddies. I need all the help I can get.
  • erbimages
    erbimages Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yeah the first 1-2 weeks I called it "detox" sluggish with crazy sugar cravings and headaches. Please stick with it, it will pass I promise...make sure you are drinking extra water and add some more fats into your meals. That should help you!