AM Energy for Insanity ( first thing in the morning )

Options
5amIAm
5amIAm Posts: 1 Member
Hi All,

I just started month 2 of Insanity, but I need some advice on how to have more energy first thing in the morning.

In order to get to work in time without sleep loss, I have to start my Insanity workout within 30-45 minutes after waking up, but even though my heart rate is well within rage during the workout for me to push harder, I get light headed and listless. When I've done the workout in the afternoon, I'm so much better, but I can't commit to doing that consistently. On most days, it's either workout first thing in the morning or not at all.

With that said, my problem is that I don't have time to make/drink coffee and I can't eat too many sugar/carbs (a typical instant-energy source) because that would defeat the purpose of the workout (and I'd rather save those few/rare calories for a regular snack/meal, when I can appreciate it). So, I tried Optimum Nutrition Amino Acid and Vega Sport pre-workout energy powders in water, but they just don't do the trick, especially not for month 2, I've found. I also tried a free sample of OxyElite Pro super thermo dietary supplement, but that had the opposite affect - I had the energy to push harder, but my heart rate sky-rocketed to the point that I was panting and still had to take breaks.

Any suggestions for me and others in my position, please? Thank you!

Replies

• redredfox
    redredfox Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Jump in a cold shower before you start! I wake up, put on clothes in the dark, go downstairs and just do it!
  • rmaglathlin
    rmaglathlin Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    yeah, i'm gonna have the same issue. i will need to do the workouts in the morning so that i won't have to force them into the rest of the day, but i am so much better later on! i tried that Vega stuff too and i thought my heart was going to explode! kinda fun in a scary way, but not something i would continue. are you drinking water in the morning? remember that when you wake up you are pretty dehydrated because you have just gone 8 hours (assuming you sleep that long) without drinking any water. being dehydrated will seriously kill your ability to push through any workout. you could try a caffeinated GU. they are pretty much straight sugar (100 calories per packet) but thats really not that much in the grand scheme of things if you're supposed to be getting around 2000 calories in a day anyway. i found that they really helped on race days when the race started at like 6am. other than that, you could try eating something before going to bed because then you won't be as empty in the morning, but that will slow weight loss i think because you do a lot of fat burning at night on an empty stomach. if you find something that works, let us know though! only three more days of recovery week left and i'm getting kinda scared for the second half!
  • penneyEmma
    Options
    I have been doing Insanity in the mornings before work - usually within 10 minutes of waking at 5.30am in an attempt to fit it in to the day. When I started I knew that the getting up early was going to be my biggest struggle but I kept telling myself it was just for 60 days so suck it up and go to bed earlier.
    I have managed to overcome the getting up early bit but I do find that I am still yawning by the end of the warm up - and I am only doing month 1 so far (on week 4 day 6). I do intermittent fasting too which means I only eat during the hours of 1pm and 7pm. I am considering a whey protein shake post workout - also to help add to my protein count for the day. I am trying to get to 100g a day but only manage around 50g because I dont eat meat.

All in all I guess what I am saying is I am in the same boat as you with early morning energy and I think it is only going to get worse when I hit month 2. I have no advice really but I will follow the thread and see what others suggest. Have you thought about a whey protein shake or a home made smoothie?
  • nillymomma
    nillymomma Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have to do my workout first thing in the morning as well, usually between 6 & 6:30, in order to squeeze it in before the kids descend upon me ;) To have enough energy, without an overly full stomach, I snack on a protein bar (I like Nature Valley's the best) while I get dressed and get my water ready. By the time I'm starting the workout I feel ready. I see it as depositing the calories that I need to get the burn that I want.

I hope you find something that works for you!
  • Falenea
    Falenea Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I do p90x in the morning and I have to get extra early to do it since the workouts are longer. I am looking foward to when i start insanity next month and i'll have a 40 to 60min workout instead of the 60 to 90 min workouts lol.