Rowing - Introduce Yourself...

Options

Replies

• DavidMW1
    DavidMW1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Wow, haven't been here for a while. Lots of new faces and stories. Great to see! Welcome to all, and don't be intimidated, I've yet to find anyone in this group who isn't incredibly supportive and helpful.

I'll visit more often in future.
  • neetneetneets
    neetneetneets Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a 20 year old university student from NZ and have recently joined the university rowing club. So far I love it! Erg sessions are a bit of a drag and we've only been out in the 8s a couple of times (scariest experience of my life) but it's wonderful to do a team sport again and have people telling you what exercise to do (instead of having to think of work outs myself). And the social life... is pretty good!
  • m1311
    m1311 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Wow...I just dropped in too, and it's lovely to see the bunch of new names/faces. Be sure to friend one of the old-timers (yeah, we've been working together since around November 2012, so "old-timers" might not be the right word), and then you'll end up getting connected to everyone.

Hmm...I think we might be able to hit the big time if we have a committed group by the next Holiday Challenge.

Oh...just be warned: these guys (Robert, David, and Jeffrey) are so motivating that you might end up rowing more than you ever thought possible. I was a weakling until I met them, and now people comment on my muscles! I owe it all to the team.
  • mrspeterson
    mrspeterson Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Manning, I'm 45, very overweight with a sedentary job and an autoimmune disease. I want to get in shape and lose weight because I know it feels much better to be strong and healthy than sick. I also want to keep up with my sporty son and husband.

I bought a C2 for the new year and immediately damaged my lower back. I couldn't figure it out, I rowed in college and was pretty sure my form was close to being right. As it turns out, my body is different now that when I was 19 (what?!) and my lack of core strength as well as belly fat pushing against my spine was not a good combination. After two months of PT and continuing my exercises (as well as enrolling in a Feldenkreis/Somatics class), I am slowly getting back on the machine, adding two-three minutes every other day.

I'm still in the lowest 25 percentile, which is GREAT it means I'm not pushing myself too hard and am less likely to reinjure my back. I'm in this for the long haul, and my goal is to eventually be able to erg every day. Thanks for having this group!
  • m1311
    Options
    After two months of PT and continuing my exercises (as well as enrolling in a Feldenkreis/Somatics class), I am slowly getting back on the machine, adding two-three minutes every other day.

I'm still in the lowest 25 percentile, which is GREAT it means I'm not pushing myself too hard and am less likely to reinjure my back. I'm in this for the long haul, and my goal is to eventually be able to erg every day. Thanks for having this group!

I LOVE Feldenkreis, AND rowing. You are doing the right things, and I hope you feel better every day.
  • Ilovevwgolf
    Ilovevwgolf Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Indoor rower here...taking it seriously since end of September 2012 and thoroughly enjoying it! I have a Concept 2 PM3 at home and I try to row 3x a week averaging 25K meters. We don't have a on-water rowing club in this city so eventhough it is ENTIRELY different water sport I just joined a dragon boat club. They paddle not row..! Hard work just the same. I have lost all the weight I needed to and my body is much toner than it ever was. On a good day I thought I can see a 4-pack! (The 6-pack will come..)

Unfortunately the little pouch of wobbly bit - I blame it on child bearing and age - just under my belly button is still hanging around there - refuse to budge - be it much less wobbly! Got to find other ways to rid of that one.

So to those who are considering rowing as part of your exercise regime..I'd say go for it! You can see the result on your body and it is pretty awesome!

But please...go to the Concept 2 website to see how it is done properly because too many people are doing it wrong initially and mess up their back. You Tube also have some good videos.

Edited to add:* At the moment I am with Free Spirit Virtual Club (January Challenge 175K meters!) and at the moment doing the April Challenge (not doing that well due to Dragon Boat commitment). Maybe for the next challenge I should join the MFP team! *
  • m1311
    Options
    Welcome to the MFP rowing group! I just recently heard about dragon boats, and that sounds like fun!

Congrats on the 4-pack. Rowing will sure do that for you.

I think you have found your group for next year's challenges!!
  • Howard_99503
    Options
    Hi, I'm Howard. I took a learn to scull class put on by the local rowing club last June as a bucket list type thing. I liked it and joined the club and sculled 2-3 times a week until the middle of August when I had rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder. This was unrelated to rowing and I had been scheduled for it since the previous April. Rowing didn't seem to bother my shoulder at all.

I found a used Concept2 on Craig's List and bought it. I did buy a new PM3, handle, wheels, and seat bearings for it. It's smooth now. I erg at home 3-4 days a week 30 to 60 minutes and I erg with our club 2 nights a week for close to another hour a week. I can't say I'm very accomplished or speedy but I try. I just did a 3:45 for a 1K and 7:59.8 for the 2K this month. I'll be 64 in a few days and both times put me above the 50th percentile for my age group. When I started I was working very hard to get my times into the 30th percentile. I like that Concept2 has their ranking pages. It's another incentive to try and better myself.

Our club will have a move the boats out of winter storage day this coming weekend. We'll probably have ice out on our lake and get on the water in two weeks. Right now spring is running late. After a winter of erging, I really want on the water. I'll be getting a new 1X in late May so that has me really excited too.
  • m1311
    Options
    Howard, I'm betting we're ARC buddies, because I don't know any other team that would be getting the boats out now.

If you would friend me, it would be great...some of the people here were interested in the talk we had at the second time trial when you were sharing your lactic acid threshold workout. They wanted to know what that meant, and I wasn't exactly clear.

Hope to be seeing you...if not this week, maybe next!
  • BlackLabLover
    BlackLabLover Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi VW and Howard - welcome! I am an indoor rower - no water clubs around here, either VW. I do like the C2 (I have a PM3) - I love the UK site - I think it has more information than its US counterpart.

Howard- I would love to read your bit about the threshold. Do you have a post about it?

Best,
    Tammy
  • Ilovevwgolf
    Options
    For Concept2 2013 Season (I started 26th Sept - 30th April) >> 823 000 meters. :drinker: :smile:

Hopefully I can reach 1 million mark for 2014 Season..
  • JBHewitt11
    JBHewitt11 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi. I have been rowing on a Concept2 for about 5 years and it keeps my weight stable, but it is time to loose some weight so I am going to mix my rowing with weights and change my eating habits.
  • m1311
    Options
    Welcome, JB! We'll be pulling you into our little Holiday plan, come winter! By then, you'll probably have lost all your weight and be in fighting trim!
  • LindaStL64
    LindaStL64 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm fairly new to MFP. I've been rowing with the St. Louis Rowing club for almost 3 years. Love it. Very addictive.
  • skillingsrobertj
    Options
    Welcome to the forum Linda !

We have quite a nice group here; friendly, supportive and a good cross section of veterans and newbies (like myself).
  • Howard_99503
    Options
    Hi Linda, welcome. I'm glad to see another rower sign up.
  • mtcastillo86
    mtcastillo86 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Complete newb here! This group looks awesome! It's obvious how much many of you love the sport.

I think I sat on a row machine at the gym once about 10 years ago, but I didn't know what I was doing, so I got off and returned to the dreadmill. Now I'm 45 and getting back into running, and I'm looking for a good workout to do on my off-running days that will be easy on my joints and will give my core and upper body a challenge. So what do y'all think? Could rowing be the sport I'm looking for?

I'd always heard about the benefits of rowing, and it does, indeed, look like a great workout. We have some machines at the gym. Not sure how good they are, and they aren't used nearly as much as other machines are. I've been researching proper form online, so I think I'm ready to give it a try. Any advice? Besides take it slow and master proper technique in the beginning?

Thanks!

Mary
  • Howard_99503
    Options
    Welcome aboard.

The Concept2 people have a fairly good website for indoor rowers. Here is their beginners page: http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/training

Reading over what they say can't hurt anything. I wind up logging in my indoor rowing meters on their logbook page and much of my on the water rowing meters goes in there also. Check out the Concept2 site, you will probably find much that is useful to you.

Set the louver for ~3 and pull to your heart's content. Hmmm, maybe I should have said the more you pull, to certain limits, the more your heart will like it. I hope you enjoy the workout and keep the torture to a minimum. Keep it within what you can do and what your body is ready for.
  • mtcastillo86
    mtcastillo86 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Howard! I followed your advice and reviewed the technique video on the Concept 2 website. Turns out the machine at our gym is a Concept2, so yay! I did about 15 minutes pretty slow, just figuring out my form, and then I did 30 minutes, giving it some pretty good effort. Whew! My legs and butt are gonna be so sore tomorrow. LOL. But it was, dare I say, kinda fun. It was good to do something new. Next time I'll bring my iPod.
  • Ilovevwgolf
    Options
    Thanks, Howard! I followed your advice and reviewed the technique video on the Concept 2 website. Turns out the machine at our gym is a Concept2, so yay! I did about 15 minutes pretty slow, just figuring out my form, and then I did 30 minutes, giving it some pretty good effort. Whew! My legs and butt are gonna be so sore tomorrow. LOL. But it was, dare I say, kinda fun. It was good to do something new. Next time I'll bring my iPod.

You'll be toned in no time..! :smile: