Weak feet or what?

Options
hockey247
hockey247 Posts: 118 Member
I am really starting to wonder why I can balance in 1-legged yoga poses in flip flops and even heals but the second I am bare footed and on a Yoga mat, I fall constantly. I probably should do some research but does anyone know what causes this and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks!

Sam

Replies

• bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Hope somone answers your question as I am new at bikram yoga and great question of yours. I can balance well bare footed and can easily do tree pose without heated yoga, but after completing 13 days of bikram yoga to date, I can not let my foot go for either right or left. Hoping to get recommendations. I do still have a baker's cyst and suspect that this is the reason.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Chances are you are falling toward the outside of your foot (most people do). Next time your in a balance pose, pay attention to your foot - which side of the foot has more pressure, the inside or the outside, the front of the foot or the heel? Try to imagine 4 points of the foot - base of the big toe, base of the little toe, inner heel, outer heel. Spread your weight evenly on your foot - do this just standing on two feet, then move to a balance pose - at first it will be more difficult, because you are not used to standing this way. If you are like the majority of people out there, you need more pressure on the big toe base joint. Another way to think of this is to bring the outer shin/calf toward the midline - like someone is pushing against your lower leg.

Let me know if that helps/doesn't help.
  • hockey247
    Options
    Chances are you are falling toward the outside of your foot (most people do). Next time your in a balance pose, pay attention to your foot - which side of the foot has more pressure, the inside or the outside, the front of the foot or the heel? Try to imagine 4 points of the foot - base of the big toe, base of the little toe, inner heel, outer heel. Spread your weight evenly on your foot - do this just standing on two feet, then move to a balance pose - at first it will be more difficult, because you are not used to standing this way. If you are like the majority of people out there, you need more pressure on the big toe base joint. Another way to think of this is to bring the outer shin/calf toward the midline - like someone is pushing against your lower leg.

Let me know if that helps/doesn't help.

Thank you so much I will start working on it today. Luckily I am in mostly beginner classes but I seem to be the one struggling the most with the the 1 leg poses. I'm going to make sure to just keep working on it. Today I brushed my teeth alternating legs in a semi tree pose minus the arms (you get my point).
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    you can also practice standing against a wall.
  • hockey247
    Options
    I'll try that too-- I'm still unsteady but I am working on it. Thank you :)
  • jiresi63
    jiresi63 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It also helps to not stand on your yoga mat. Stand on the bare floor, find your drishti and just concentrate on that drishti point, and relax into the pose.
  • ilovemaisy
    Options
    Yogimary, your advice worked for me too! I still have trouble with tree but I think it's because my legs are so heavy compared to the rest of me. But it's worked in other poses to think about this and work on it.

So thank you!
  • hockey247
    Options
    I agre the advice really helped. I too still have issues with tree but still working on it
  • hockey247
    Options
    I have to update again-- I actually was able to hold tree today :) I feel like this is such a big step (for me). Thanks so much for all the advise, it really helped!!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Yogimary, your advice worked for me too! I still have trouble with tree but I think it's because my legs are so heavy compared to the rest of me. But it's worked in other poses to think about this and work on it.

So thank you!

You're welcome :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    trouble shooting balance problems:

1. Weighting feet properly: pretend a lady bug is under the arch of your foot, don't squish her! Keep balance evenly between the ball of the foot and the heel, preferably on the big toe side.

2. Core: keep the front, lowest ribs in alignment with the top of the front of your pelvic girdle. You should easily be able to place your thumbs on the lowest rib and the rest of your fingers on the hip bones to achieve proper alignment. Some postures require your rib cage to slide forward, past your pelvic girdle. Ask your instructor for proper core alignment concerning your specific pose.

3. Glutes: the buttocks do the work. Lock your hips into place by focusing on having your butt muscles hold you, not your legs.

4. Legs: Don't worry about keeping the balance leg straight. Once you find your balance, slowly progress in your practice in the stillness of the posture. As you become stronger, you will be able to straighten the bottom leg. Once straight, the balancing leg will be locked, and the knee cap lifted away from the floor, thus burning the fat off of your thighs.

happy training!
  • Pamela_June
    Pamela_June Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I am a 'new' yoga person... starting to really enjoy the benefits - however I am not only a 'new' to yoga person I am an 'older' person...(in my mind and spirit I am a very young person)... but I am 66 -

My point I guess is I want to learn more, but not sure what kind of class there might be for 'us' new folks to yoga.

In any case I got a lot of good info from this thread - so thanks folks!

Pam

:happy:
  • hockey247
    Options
    trouble shooting balance problems:

1. Weighting feet properly: pretend a lady bug is under the arch of your foot, don't squish her! Keep balance evenly between the ball of the foot and the heel, preferably on the big toe side.

2. Core: keep the front, lowest ribs in alignment with the top of the front of your pelvic girdle. You should easily be able to place your thumbs on the lowest rib and the rest of your fingers on the hip bones to achieve proper alignment. Some postures require your rib cage to slide forward, past your pelvic girdle. Ask your instructor for proper core alignment concerning your specific pose.

3. Glutes: the buttocks do the work. Lock your hips into place by focusing on having your butt muscles hold you, not your legs.

4. Legs: Don't worry about keeping the balance leg straight. Once you find your balance, slowly progress in your practice in the stillness of the posture. As you become stronger, you will be able to straighten the bottom leg. Once straight, the balancing leg will be locked, and the knee cap lifted away from the floor, thus burning the fat off of your thighs.

happy training!

Great advice!! Thank you so much!!
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    When I first started a serious practice I had the same problem. My hands and feet would sometimes be really sore after class, too. Once I got better at the alignment and my muscles/tendons in the hands and feet got stronger and more used to yoga I found this gradually subsided. Good luck!
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I find that in tree pose, if I open my hip wider (which is the proper form) I seem to settle better into the pose.

I work in an orthopedic rehabilitation setting and often use the "stand on one foot while you are brushing your teeth and doing the dishes" plan. You can also put a pillow, couch cushion, or towel under your foot. Use one finger on the wall/counter/chair for balance, but let the muscles in your feet, legs, and hip do the work (not your arm). Then when you move to a stable surface, your foot is able to ground, the muscles are stronger, and you can balance better.

Use a mirror and watch yourself balance and focus on a spot at eye level. That helps me. Even when I shut my eyes I visualize that spot on the wall.