What's your workout?

Options
cinico
cinico Posts: 294 Member
I am considering decreasing my workout and following the primal/paleo guidelines! But I like following a schedule like those found with Beachbody workouts! So I need to get good ideas of workouts you guys and gals are doing!

Replies

• booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    jump into paleo and see how it goes. i eat paleo and do crossfit (5x a week so its almost like a p90/insanity hybrid i guess you could say)

it is AWESOME for me... i feel fantastic eating paleo. stick with it a few weeks, i didn't eat a typical crappy diet prior so i didn't notice the changes until i fell off the paleo wagon and realized how much better i felt without grains.

give the diet a go, your workouts don't need to change at all. just be sure you eat enough fat with paleo or your probably won't meet your caloric needs.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Mine goes something along the lines of:
    Squat 5x5
    Bench 5x5
    Deadlift 5x5 (currently working on form)
    Overhead Press 3-4x8-10
    Weighted Dip/Chins 3-4x8-10
    Leg Press 3-4x8-10

Sometimes I mix the assistance (not OHP or any 5x5's) with other things; pull ups, cable crunches, etc. I'm keen to learn rows, too, but as with everything, form is more important - still practising.
  • dwest1976
    dwest1976 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I started Paleo/Primal back in November and then started Insanity a week and a half ago. I lifted, ran and biked for a while before starting Insanity to make sure I was in good enough shape to handle it. So far, so good.

I would love to do Crossfit, but with family commitments, I really can't take classes. I can either get up early and rock out in the basement or hit the office gym during lunch.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I've been going to a kettlebell gym three times a week since January. I love it! It's a great combination of strength and cardio. Those kettlebell swings burn so many calories. I even bought one for home use on my off days.
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I'm following the New Rules of Lifting for Women program.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    So far, I've only added in light cardio. I usually do a combination of the following, I try to get in 30-45minutes of movement every day:

- light stationary bike ride for 30 minutes
    - relaxing yoga or stretching for 15 minutes
    - a short class (~20 minutes) of Zumba Fitness on the Xbox 360
    - a casual walk around the neighbourhood for 30-45 minutes

I plan on adding in strength a couple times a week and one day of high intensity eventually.
  • nemrut
    nemrut Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I walk at least 50 minutes every day, do a cardio class and core/balance class as well as some weight training at the Y two to three times a week.
  • SpartyOn33
    SpartyOn33 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html

I follow this plan, and have lost a ton of body fat % and increased my muscle tone. Usually do high intensity interval training on the elliptical for the cardio days. I highly recommend this program, if you are going to stick to it.
  • cinico
    cinico Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • bananasandbarbells
    bananasandbarbells Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a half marathon so I run in the am and lift at night. I usually eat more and feel fine with eating paleo doing these exercises
  • sarbar71
    sarbar71 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I am doing Insanity right now - I have two more week left. I think when I finish the program I will probably go back to running, maybe throwing in a few Inanity workouts a week. I have not had problems with energy since gong Primal - if anything I have more energy now than I did before. Sometimes I feel a little sluggish if I am working out on an empty stomach, but otherwise, no issues.
  • Merci444
    Merci444 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I just finished ChaLEAN Extreme, which is heavy lifting. I work out at home so I really do need heavier weights because I have noticed an increase in strength. I'm getting ready to incorporate another program for HIIT in between the strength training (Turbo Fire.)
  • hilliardjoe
    hilliardjoe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Right now I just try the basic primal movements from the primal blueprint. I am so far out of shape I needed to start somewhere and it gives me a plan.

It would be 2 sets of 50 wall pushups, 50 wall squats, and 1:30 of hand/knee planks. I try to do chair assisted pullups but it is basically all leg so I'm not sure what I get out of that. I need to get stronger and weigh less before I can do a real pullup but it is a goal. I am about to graduate from the level one movements (which is what I am doing) to the level 2 ones (inclined pushups, bar assisted squats and forearm/knee planks) for all but the pullup.

For cardio I do Tabata sets on a stationary bike. 4 minute warm up, the a 4 minute set that alternates between 20 second max effort and 10 second rest periods. I then rest for a minute between sets, I do as many as I can before my legs and lungs feel like they are going to die. I then finish with a 4 minute cool down. Today I almost got 3 complete sets in and have seen a lot of improvement since starting.

I do know I'll be in much better shape for softball this spring/summer than I have been in years.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm very slowly training for a 1/2 marathon between injuries and illness (it has not been a good month) and I do weight training with a trainer twice a week.
  • JScar1964
    JScar1964 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    1/2 marathon training. On days not running 100 pushups/situps/lat pulls/squats/windshield wipers (on back, legs vertical, left right left)
  • mrsbaglady2you
    mrsbaglady2you Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, I can not compare my workouts to all these great athletes on this post, but iam just getting back into the gym after being gone for a year! I started paleo only a week ago and so far its given me the energy to go to the gym and do cardio for an hour 5 days a week. I also gained like 100 pounds in a year as well by eating 6 to 7 unhealthy meals followed by zero excersise.... Yes it was awful and after seeing what it has done to my heatlh and quality of life... I decided to make a change ASAP..... congrats to all of you that move and eat clean... it pays off....
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    mondays - 50 min cardio
    tuesdays -40 min weights - 30 min cardio
    wed -off day
    thursday -60 min weights 30 min cardio
    friday- 60 min weights 30 min cardio
    sat -60 min weights 30 min cardio
    sunday - 60 min weights 30 min cardio

cardio usually consists of stairmaster and/or highest incline treadmill speedwalking
    weights are mostly circuit machines with a few free weights ...also try to do some ab exercises here and there
  • mandabrett
    mandabrett Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Mine varies due to work schedule, but this is my plan for this week. Every week is similar to is one.
    M- squats with 40# bar 20x3, lunges with 30#bar 30x, leg press 110# 15x3, arc trainer (cardio) about 40 min or 500 cal
    T- same on arc trainer hammer curls 15# 10x3, curls with 40# bar 10x3, assisted pull ups15x3, pul downs 40# 15x3
    W-legs again basically same as Monday, row machine (cardio) 7500m
    Tr- arms again and 7500 row
    F- meet with trainer (biweekly meeting)
  • strychnine7
    strychnine7 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Monday and Thursday, I have been doing the following:

10-12 Narrow-grip pull-ups
    12-15 Dips
    12-15 Neutral-grip, elevated, push-ups

20 Bicep curls (Total Gym)
    25 Back-flys (Total Gym)

5-7 Narrow-grip pull-ups
    10-12 Dips

25 "Seated" Bicep Curls (Total Gym)
    25 Chest-flys (Total Gym)

5-7 Narrow-grip pull-ups
    10-12 Dips

15 Bicep curls (Total Gym)
    25 "Seated" Bicep Curls (Total Gym)

5-7 Narrow-grip pull-ups
    8-10 Dips

40 Ab crunches (Total Gym w/ "Ab Crunch" accessory)
    40 (20 each side) Oblique Ab crunches (Total Gym w/ "Ab Crunch" accessory)

Tuesday, and/or Wednesday, and/or Friday, I go for a ~3.5 mile walk.
    Saturday, I go for a weighted-hike, usually about 7 miles.
    Sunday, I do absolutely nothing if I can get away with it.

And yes, I'm aware the Total Gym is kind of thought of as gimmicky. I actually recommend the hell out of it, though. I never would have bought one except it came highly recommended to me by a former power lifter who always loved his.
  • shaywallis
    shaywallis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I do crossfit 5x a wk. I've been going for about 2 1/2mo now. Today we did a pre-WOD max deadlift (I got 135#), 25min amrap of 7 push press (65#) 12 ring dips, 20 ab mats and 60 jump rope. I got in 9 1/2 rounds and finished up the wod with a 1,000meter row and some hang clean practice (75#)