Natural hair drama!

Options
SereneRose
SereneRose Posts: 499 Member
Hey Diva's!

I'm in desperate need of some advice the more I research the more confused I become so basically I need you to break it down to me like your talking to a five year old. :blushing:

Basically, I've always had long natural thick hair then when I turned 16 in 2001 I believe I relaxed it and did a retouch every 3rd month and this continued for about 6 years then I began to texture it every 3 months right up until 2010. By now my hair has thinned out and has no depth so I went cold turkey but did not do a chop. Fast forward to today and my hair is severely breaking. No longer long it touches my shoulders and feels brittle to the touch and I don't know if this is partly due to pcos or the way I have treated it in the past. I also take vitamins B Complex, C, D, E x 2 and Folic Acid and looking to add A into the mix.

I really want to thicken and regrow it but which treatment to do protein or moisturising confuse me so much.
Tonight I took my braids out and used Keracare shampoo, (because sulfate free) Organic Root Stimulator Hair Mayonnaise to treat it followed by Keracare conditioner. I added ORS heat protection styling serum and blow dried and massaged carrot oil (because I read I need a water based moisturiser) into ny scalp and KC glossifier.
The finished product left my hair feeling dry and brittle and didn't feel moisturised at all.

I rarely put heart on my hair, maybe once a week because I sweat out my hair with exercise and I have been putting in braids since xmas, taking out for 2 weeks then repeat. (I am taking a break from that because I think it is making my hair break even more)

Anyway I know this is so long winded but for a solution I thought you would need the whole back story.
YouTube is driving me crazy and there are so many products on the market some of which I cannot get in the UK unless at great expense.

What do you recommend to stop breakage, regrow my hair and strengthen?
I need a regime in place but don't know where or with what to begin.

Like I said before I'm confused and need this broken down for me.

Thanks for all responses.

Replies

• soosweet1920
    soosweet1920 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    If I read correctly you said that you have not BCed right? So does that mean you still have hair with chemicals attached to your natural hair? If so that can be the problem. For some reason having two different textures where one has chemicals and the other doesn't sometimes breaks your hair and prevents it from growing. I was having that problem and when I just BCed my hair started growing like crazy.
  • SereneRose
    Options
    Sorry this may sound dumb but what do you mean by Bced?

I honestly don't know what texture my hair is but I do think all the relaxer is gone as it has been almost 3 years.
    Since posting this I did a whole lot more researching and decided to go the organic root and purchased JB Castor Oil product range and awaiting on delivery by end of the week, I read great things about it so why not give it a try.

I admit I am I usually reluctant to trim my hair but recently I have been having inches cut when braids come out what drives me nuts is that this time my hair was very brittle and crackly to the touch but in January after basically the same regime it was softer.
  • brandyanne0204
    brandyanne0204 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hey Diva's!

I'm in desperate need of some advice the more I research the more confused I become so basically I need you to break it down to me like your talking to a five year old. :blushing:

Basically, I've always had long natural thick hair then when I turned 16 in 2001 I believe I relaxed it and did a retouch every 3rd month and this continued for about 6 years then I began to texture it every 3 months right up until 2010. By now my hair has thinned out and has no depth so I went cold turkey but did not do a chop. Fast forward to today and my hair is severely breaking. No longer long it touches my shoulders and feels brittle to the touch and I don't know if this is partly due to pcos or the way I have treated it in the past. I also take vitamins B Complex, C, D, E x 2 and Folic Acid and looking to add A into the mix.

I really want to thicken and regrow it but which treatment to do protein or moisturising confuse me so much.
    Tonight I took my braids out and used Keracare shampoo, (because sulfate free) Organic Root Stimulator Hair Mayonnaise to treat it followed by Keracare conditioner. I added ORS heat protection styling serum and blow dried and massaged carrot oil (because I read I need a water based moisturiser) into ny scalp and KC glossifier.
    The finished product left my hair feeling dry and brittle and didn't feel moisturised at all.

I rarely put heart on my hair, maybe once a week because I sweat out my hair with exercise and I have been putting in braids since xmas, taking out for 2 weeks then repeat. (I am taking a break from that because I think it is making my hair break even more)

Anyway I know this is so long winded but for a solution I thought you would need the whole back story.
    YouTube is driving me crazy and there are so many products on the market some of which I cannot get in the UK unless at great expense.

What do you recommend to stop breakage, regrow my hair and strengthen?
    I need a regime in place but don't know where or with what to begin.

Like I said before I'm confused and need this broken down for me.

Thanks for all responses.

Check out http://forum.blackhairplanet.com/index.php, I sometimes go there when I need to find solutions to hair problems. I, too, have decided to go natural and I am going to start using Pantene Co-Wash for Natural hair in the brown bottle.
    12774 Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Hi Serene Rose, It seems that you have too many things going on at the same time.Do you do all these processes yourself ?It seems that you might have to get some type of professional help which includes trimming your ends every 6 wks. Black hair maintenance is costly but sometimes we have to leave it to the professionals.
  • SereneRose
    Options
    Thank you.

I am beginning to understand more what I'm meant to do, I've been in hair sites all day and I've ordered Biotin pills and decided to go all natural hair products and will now use Jamaican Black Castor Oil range in my hair ascwell add occasionally Organic Root Stimulator.

My final problem is that I don't know what to do with my hair now I've decided to stop applying heat (tongs, ceramics & hairdryer) to it. As I will be exercising and my roots will sweat out I will no longer straighten it back out.

How should I have my hair?
    Heard of twists and bantu?
    Not sure if those styles would suit me so I'm at a loss.
  • SereneRose
    Options
    Hi Serene Rose, It seems that you have too many things going on at the same time.Do you do all these processes yourself ?It seems that you might have to get some type of professional help which includes trimming your ends every 6 wks. Black hair maintenance is costly but sometimes we have to leave it to the professionals.
    Very costly indeed. Majority of the processes mentioned are at different stages between 2001 and last night. :laugh:

My aunt does my trim because I am so bad at it approx every few months and I only do a treatment once every 2 weeks when ny hair is not in braids. Now they are out until June and once my new products arrive I will be doing a protein treatment every 2 weeks and a cowash weekly with my new lifesaver (I hope) which is Jamaican Castor oil.
  • Chanti1620
    Chanti1620 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    OMG it seems like you are doing TO MUCH to your hair! The less manipulation you do to your hair the better!
    1. since your hair is brittle I hope when you blow it out it is on the lowest setting possible.
    2. re-hydrate your hair, and use Moroccan argon oil, it helps to thicken your hair
    3. use some jamaican castor oil, no lie i started using it march 2, and i washed my hair last weekend and this bad boy is THICK (i added, Moroccan argon oil treatment at the end of washing my hair, and left it in)
    4. Use a shampoo and conditioner that hydrates your hair, i use one that is in a blue bottle called re-hydration...
    5. low maintenance styles; braid that bad boy back, twist it, wash and go's; whatever stop playing in your hair you're breaking it off; i started wearing a wig, i love my wig its mad long (i whip my hair back and forth all the time with that wig) get a shoe string and tie it around your hair and it gives you a pretty afro, (i have a loose afro in my profile pic)

I use jamaican castor oil hair food, for my hair, and the oil on my scalp and i'm doing pretty well, been natural since 2010 and my hair is shoulder length; i never did a big chop, i actually just let the perm ends fall off

Hope i helped some how :)
  • SereneRose
    Options
    You helped nuff girl.
    I'm going to search out the Moroccan Argon Oil you mentioned and hope I can get it here.

Last night I tried a braid out, I moisturised reach section with ORS Carrot Oil and braided and this morning it looks alright but not very curly but that I guess is because it is still fairly straight from the pressing I did on Sunday. I will try again when it begins to lose the effect and I get some setting spray without all the harsh chemicals.

I didn't blow dry on lowest I had it on the middle setting and I didn't press the cold air button, looking back I see how stupid that was. Shampoo, conditioners and treatments unless homemade I will be using will only be Jamaican Black Castor Oil brand as I want ad little chemicals in my head as possible from now on.

I was braiding with extensions but each time it just left my hair thinner and shorter so I think I will avoid them for a while and for the time being stick a bandanna on my head with the back teased up, unfortunately I can't cornrow only simple braids but I plan to learn with YouTube's help. I like your hair and wanted that look for myself but I lack the body so my hair just flopped down lol.

I can already see this transition won't be easy, no hairbands, no heat, no blow drying.
    Oh boy but it will be worth it.

Thanks for all your help. :smile:
  • Chanti1620
    Options
    It takes time, i made the mistake of bleaching my hair, i'm just letting it grow out so i can cut it off. I use to blow my hair out every week after i washed it, but so much of my hair WOULD COME out so i stopped blowing it out over the summer, and my hair is much longer.

I just started learning to braid, but i only wear these braids at home, never in the street lol, i'd look a hot mess!
    Invest in some hats that you can just put over half you're hair and style the front

and i use this gel that brings my natural curls i cant remember the name but its like 5 dollars for a huge thing of gel, its a green gel
    if your hair isn't strong i wouldn't recommend braids, unless maybe you r transitioning. when i used weave to braid my hair i only left it in for 3-4 weeks because it can pull out your hair
  • SereneRose
    Options
    Well I have learnt my lesson with the braids my hair isn't strong enough to handle it way too much breakage so I will just have my hair out and under bandanna's hopefully will thicken enough for a fro.

I cannot braid anything except single plaits abs my twist out attempts were pitiful lol but I will persevere girl. Is the gel your talking about called Eco Styler Olive Oil? That one looks good and will get some from my store in time for the other stuff to arrive.

Another thing is I cannot tell if I am still transitioning because my hair is so thin anyway so everytime I think I've worked up the courage to cut some away I don't know if it is natural or not and salons are usually too scissor happy.
  • myphenix
    myphenix Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    sounds like your on the right track! taking care of natural hair can be confusing but once you get your regimen in place its fairly easy. When I started my natural hair I watched All of the "mynaturalsistas" youtube videos. They helped alot!
  • Chanti1620
    Options
    Yes it is Eco Styler! I love it, my hair is so curly when i put it in, but i don't use it that often only on special occasions.
    I don't think you should be too concerned weather you are transitioning or not, just focus on getting you're hair to be healthy and strong, i know i never did a big chop, my perm ends just fell off when they were ready.
    i have yet to get my hair trimmed, although i need too, but yeah haven't done it yet =/

i plait my hair too, and leave it for like a week moisturized, and it has a nice wavy effect when i pull it out.
  • SereneRose
    Options
    Hey Maiya I do hope your right girl and it is confusing. I have subscribed to her page and plan to do watch them all.

My bf brought me home eco styler tonight and I re moistured added the gel and put my hair in the braids, fingers crossed it turns out Ok in the morning. I may take a pic of it and post.
    I'm a lil excited to see if it comes out right. :-D

As soon as I master cornrow I will try your suggestion, thank you Chanti. :-D
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Because you say your hair is dry, brittle and breaking, I would stay away from the protein treatments right away and focus more and getting the moisture back into. the moisture will help revive your hair and then you can start working in a protein treatment once you get moisture back in check. Protein treatments can be kind of drying and may be quite devastating to fragile hair. I think your plans to stay away from the heat and braids for a while is the best idea for now as you nurture your hair back to health.
    Braids, twistouts, bantu knot outs will be great protective styles and even wearing wigs (as long as your hair is moisturized and sealed with an oil before styling) will be very beneficial to this recovery effort. CO washing (conditioner washing) , or no sulfate shampoos or clarifiers would be great as shampoos can be extremely drying to hair in general but especially on brittle hair.Weekly deep conditioning treatments would probably be good for you as well. Jamaican Black Castor Oil, Coconut Oil, Oil Oil are great sealants for your favorite moisturizer. I love Shea moisture line of products. The Curl Enhancing Smoothie is a great moisturizer.
    Good luck!!
  • Princess721
    Princess721 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Personally I would go ahead and have a professional cut off all the remaining relaxed hair. I would also concentrate on moisture coconut oil and castor oil are my personal best friends but you have to find what works best for you.

I completely agree with doing protective styles and maybe rocking a wig as long as your hair is protected underneath it.
  • chasitylg
    Options
    I am in the process of transitioning to natural and I have had some breakage b/c I was wearing braids the last 3 months. I am learning to find some protective hair styles. I had my natural stylist to cut my ends, and she gave me a deep conditioning, protein treatment and some type of treatment to seal in moisture. She braided my hair and covered it with a net and I have a full sew in. I also made sure to get a sew in that has body and curls and that I can work out in and not have to do much with it but, fluff and go.

If you an cut off the damage, receive some treatments and get a protective style and allow your hair to lay dormant for awhile and give it some consistency it should be fine in alittle while. And, make sure you are drinking plenty of water to add moisture to your hair as well!
  • SereneRose
    Options
    Hey ya'll!

Thank you for all the advice it has been great stuff and I have taken it all in. Let me give you a rundown of where I am at.
    The recent pic of me is my most recent attempt at a twist out, there is another on my profile which was an attempt on straightened hair and it just looks wavy although I like it too.

I have now received my organic products and have gone down the route of Jamaican Black Castor Oil range (the shampoo, conditioner, hair food, lavender and coconut castor oil) I also have the following oils lavender, jojoba, glycerin, rosemary and argan and I have Shea Butter and Coconut butter. So far I have washed my hair once with the new products (I did a 2hr prepoo and sat under a heated cap with ORS Replenishing Conditioner mixed with the rosemary, lavender and castor oil) all I can say is WOW!! I have never been able to run my fingers through my hair during shampoo phase, I think washing in sections really helped with this too. :happy:

As part of my new regime I only shampooed once then conditioned (will do a deep protein treatment this week) then let myself air dry while applying the Lavender JBCO to my roots and ORS Carrot Oil to the strands then sealed with the JBCO Coconut Oil. This oil in particular confuses me a bit as it says to use like grease and the first time I did I was too heavy handed, soak through satin headscarf to pillow heavy handed so was lighter this time and worked a treat.

Last night I tried a twist out this time as my braid outs were not successful and came out wavy and I applied more of the Eco Styler gel which I thought I was too heavy handed with but this morning my curls set and I wore my hair out to the side, My mistake was I didn't moisturise same time as I thought my hair was ok from Saturday's moisturising which led to me having to spritz my hair every couple of hours. (spritz bottle - argan, lavender, castor, glycerin, rosemary, jojoba).
    Tonight I re-moisturised and will keep this up daily and sealed in the strands and ends and oiled my roots and re-twisted chunky without adding anymore oil just carrot oil and spritz concoction to wet and help set it.

So I am so sorry this is long winded just thought you would like a better idea of where I am and also to correct me on anything I may be doing wrong or give any tips.

Btw. I have not relaxed since Feb 2010 so I think my hair has grown it all out but I cannot tell so will get a trim but won't be doing a chop as I don't think it is necessary. The only comb which touches my head is a wide tooth and that is mostly for wash day now and I can finger detangle now even dry, something I could never do before.

Again thanks for all the previous advice. :flowerforyou: