Out of the dating world?

Has anyone else been out of the dating world for a while? My last two boyfriends cheated on me so I decided to take a break and then I went back to college and I was surrounded by guys 18-22 yrs old. (I'm 28). Now I want to get back out there but I don't know how. I live in a small town area and I learned not to meet guys at the bar. Any suggestions?

Replies

• rkleine74
    rkleine74 Posts: 19
    I have been out of the dating world for a really long time. I spent the better part of my twenties hung up on an ex, and by the time I was over that, I found that I was surrounded by men that were nice enough guys, but really boring. At this point, I am too old for the bar scene (I can't compete with girls in their early twenties). I have considered online dating, but I don't know that it works well for shy people. I started taking tango lessons, which has at least gotten me into a community outside of work. If I knew how to get back into the dating world, I would do it. I'm really busy with my life as it is, but I wouldn't mind dating again.
  • I have been out of the dating world for a really long time. I spent the better part of my twenties hung up on an ex, and by the time I was over that, I found that I was surrounded by men that were nice enough guys, but really boring. At this point, I am too old for the bar scene (I can't compete with girls in their early twenties). I have considered online dating, but I don't know that it works well for shy people. I started taking tango lessons, which has at least gotten me into a community outside of work. If I knew how to get back into the dating world, I would do it. I'm really busy with my life as it is, but I wouldn't mind dating again.

I've tried online dating but I'm skeptical and afraid of what's out there. (My mother and I watch a lot of crime dramas). I keep saying I'm going to give it a go and then something happens (I catch the guy in a lie or he stands me up)
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Well, I was stuck in the fling world... sadly. I was being booty called and it's just as depressing for guys.

Still technically single because my friend just got out of a long relationship, but we flirt in a way that's definitely exclusive. The best thing to do is assess what you want. I've known that for a long time I was just lonely and was willing to settle, but I'd tell myself "NO" all the time. It's not good to settle.

I did a few times anyway.
  • zandria1
    zandria1 Posts: 22 Member
    dont look for it, when you look for it you wont find it.
    itll find you.

Im out of the dating game, permanently.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    I've tried online dating. I'm on EHarmony now. No chemistry matches yet, but I have met some nice people who would probably make another girl very happy. It can be awkward though and I don't get too excited for the first dates. It's really hard for me to feel romantic about someone who I haven't met OR who I haven't been talking to for a while.

You can't get rocked by the bad dates though. They are inevitable. Just keep going. It's a numbers game.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    My old roommate and I for funsies tried some of those paid sites and I went on more dates with OkCupid which is free... not my favorite thing in the world, but it's good for finding someone to do a weekend activity with.
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    I have sworn off dating since the split with my exh 2 years ago and considering our youngest is 3, I really have no desire to get out there and date. I am in school full time, looking for work, raising 3 kids practically alone and completely drown myself in martial arts training every chance I get.

In the words of Sweet Brown, ain't nobody got time for that!
  • Shananigans_
    Shananigans_ Posts: 785 Member
    After being out of the dating scene for 17 years, I went on three in the last two weeks. All of them were bombs lol but it did help my confidence to know I could meet someone, carry on conversation.
  • I wasn't even looking for the last two years and still nothing popped up. Someone said start up a social group in the "big" city nearby. "Big" city constitutes 40,000 people. I live in a rural area so it's ridiculous to meet people.
  • wheresheidi
    wheresheidi Posts: 213
    I haven't dated in ages. Went out Friday nite with friends & a guy bought me a drink & left his card with me. So now all my friends are pressuring me to call. I don't know what to do.
  • I've tried eharmony and match.com and both have been a bust.. dated some guys but it didn't work..
    I feel like I've recently given up.. I'm 41 and just don't feel like its going to happen for me.. trying to rework my life plan
    without a significant other...