Top Tricks for Fighting Cravings!

Options
BekaSteele
BekaSteele Posts: 25 Member
I read this great article about fighting cravings - read some of the highlights below:

Hunger vs. Cravings

It’s not always easy to tell whether you’re actually hungry, or just having a craving. Here are two methods to help you figure out whether you need to eat something healthy or just ride it out the next time the Sugar Dragon rears its ugly head.

HALT! This acronym stands for Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired. The next time you’re having a craving, stop and ask yourself, am I really hungry, or am I just angry (or frustrated), lonely (or bored), or tired. If you’re not really hungry, then use some of our craving combat strategies below to see you through. If you discover that you really are hungry, then eat! (We’ll help you figure out what to eat when the Sugar Dragon is spitting fire next. Hint: it’s not fruit!)

Steamed fish and broccoli: This next trick is a bit simpler, and brutally effective. The next time you get a hankering for something to eat (and are wondering if it’s just a craving), ask yourself, “Am I hungry enough to eat steamed fish and broccoli right now?” If the answer is no… you’re not really hungry, you’re just craving, so act accordingly. If the answer is yes, then you really are hungry!

The average craving lasts for only 3-5 minutes, so when cravings come up learn to distract yourself until the craving passes. Use these two techniques to help you successfully fight off the sugar dragon:

Physically remove or obscure the temptation in question, placing it out of sight or ignoring it. If you can’t remove the temptation, physically remove yourself from the temptation.

Make a list of five distraction techniques you can use the next time your craving hits. Really, make a list. Keep it handy. When your cue(s) pop up, refer to your list, and then do one of those things.

Your list might include: going for a 5 minute walk, calling a friend, reading 10 pages in your book, writing a thank you card, filing your nails, eating something healthy, chatting with a co-worker, cleaning something, organizing something, or planning tonight’s dinner. It doesn’t really matter what’s on the list—only that you have one, and you use it!

What ideas do you guys have?

Replies

• jaimefaulkner
    Options
    This is good! Thanks for sharing Beka! I have found chewing a piece of gum helps me too.

Another trick I use is eating only at certain times. For example, I know I need to eat multiple times a day. I cannot eat three meals, I eat more like three meals with two small meals in between. I know I need to eat something around 3pm, especially if I want to have the energy to work out after work. So, if it's 2pm, I know I am just craving something and if I eat a piece of gum, drink some water, I can wait until about 3 to eat my snack.

It's also true that you can help curb that hunger with water. It doesn't and shouldn't replace food, but sometimes that hunger can mean dehydration and a need for fluids.

Good thoughts!
  • jromero04
    jromero04 Posts: 15
    Options
    I agree with both you ladies. The main thing I agree with is that if you think you are hungry, it could really mean you are dehydrated. I know I am and really need to step up my game. The problem with me is that I say ok, I am not drinking any more sugary drinks but then i find myself not drinking anything at all. Do you ladies have any suggestions on how I can drink more water?
  • jaimefaulkner
    Options
    Julie,

I think it's certainly a mind game. What has worked for me is having a cute refillable water container and finding a place that provides water that tastes good to me. (I don't typically like city water as I grew up on a well.)

I have found if the water has ice or is really cold, I drink more. My husband had a problem switching to water and he got low calorie and low sugar flavor packets to use. It helps if you really don't like drinking water. (Or squeeze a lemon in it!)

Hope that helps.
  • eramsey1234
    Options
    You can also try drinking black tea or green tea, just leave out the sugar. Both are great cold or hot and while you are drinking mostly water, it doesn't seem like it. It is as if the water is in disguise! There are also helath benefits to drinking tea and can help with weight loss.
  • mbanes
    mbanes Posts: 10
    Options
    Julie,
    One thing i do to ensure I get my daily water intake is using a straw. I know it sounds crazy but I drink more water this way:smile:
    I also agree with adding lemon; it makes it less "boring". Good luck !
  • BekaSteele
    BekaSteele Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Julie,
    Have you ever thought about having a contest with the girls at your FC? Make a chart and see who can drink the most water by the end of the day or week!

What I've found works for me is that I have a 24oz water bottle, I know I need to drink 1 by lunch, another one by dinner, and then I have my last one either during my workout or in the evening.

I like setting goals like that - there are days that at lunch I realize I've only had 1/2 my water, so I literally sit there are make myself drink it all before I get lunch. Breaking it up into 3 small chunks has been helpful for me.

Can't wait to hear how it's going :)
  • dot23scott
    Options
    I love these tips, and I do some of them. I know for me I HAVE TO BE MORE MINDFUL. Particularly in the evenings, when there are ready (and not very good) food distractions available, and on the weekends. I have not lost like I want to, but creating poor eating habits over 15 years is hard to break all at once. One day at a time!

Go team!
  • jromero04
    jromero04 Posts: 15
    Options
    Thank you to all who gave me ideas. I have been drinking more water due to your ideas and hope to be able to drink the 8 glasses a day as recommended. As Dorothy said, one day ata time!