Hi, I'm new.

Options
Imajicat
Imajicat Posts: 114 Member
Hi there,

I'm new to this group. I'm mostly vegan/working on being vegan with nonguilt for the occasianal animal product. Just looking around for some groups that are full of people doing the same.

so, yeah... HI!!

Replies

• dle1962dle
    Options
    Hi, this is my first reply. I've been veg for about 13 or 14 yrs, lacto ovo. This has not helped in any way with wt loss or health for that matter (well it could have prevented diseases I would have gotten but since I never got them I don't know). I attempted vegan for about 5 months in 2004 and it was milk that did me in. Milk is a major comfort food for me. After watching FOK and also Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead, I decided to phase out my dairy and egg intake and work on limiting my fake meats for whole foods, including tofu. I still have a few servings of dairy left in the fridge and 2 eggs. I bought some almond milk but haven't tried it yet. B/c my weight is nearly crippling me, literally, I've decided for the next 5 or 6 days to do a modified veggie "fast" based on the FS&ND documentary. I'm eating veggies, drinking Bolthouse Farms veg and fruit juices (no money to buy a juicer) as well as drinking clear broth soups with cooked frozen veggies in them. I'll let you know how it goes. Today is day 2. If you watched FS&ND there is a food pyramid in there that I think is what you are looking for. If you haven't seen the doc, I can post the pyramid. It's not in color, it's just what I wrote down. It shows about eating dairy and eggs on occasion, rarely, to still keep from having the adverse effect of those animal products. Good luck, Di
  • jezama77
    jezama77 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm new too! In fact, I'm pretty new to MFP too. I just joined on Feb. 11. I also watched FS and ND, plus FOK. I find them fascinating. I did a fast to start my new year (my second fast ever). It was very successful for me. I think fasting is something that is good for some people especially if a person takes into account different types of fasting. I did only liquids for 40 days. I eat emotionally, so I needed to remind myself that I have other ways of dealing with my life than food. It really helped. I ended my fast on Feb 12, and I've been focused on eating whole, healthy foods since then! I intend on looking for things to eat that make me feel good. I've also noticed that anytime I eat refined stuff/dairy that I am hungrier and less satisfied. One day I ate a piece of angel food cake (really a light cake choice!) with strawberries and a dollop of Cool Whip, on that day, I ate more calories overall and was less sated and content. That about sold it for me! I definitely don't want to feel hungry all the time. Eating good food makes me full yet not stuffed. :) Anyways, I hope to find some like minded people who want to share ideas. :)
  • BellehavenfarmDawn
    BellehavenfarmDawn Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Forks over Knives led me The China Study and work by Dr. Esselstyn and back to Dr. Ornish and Fuhrman. If you like plant based whole healthy foods you might like the group called Eat To Live which is a book by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. there are all level of experience.

dawn
  • bowbee
    bowbee Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi. I would love to also meet other vegans. I am a newbie, as I just made the lifestyle change on 3/15. I know there is so much to learn and would appreciate all advice from veterans and also any newbies, like myself, for friendship and support.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Aedreana here, brand-new to MFP. I am a strict vegan because I oppose the murder of animals for any reason. So I am not vegan for health reasons. I don't worry about nutrition, I avoid exercise, and I smoke cigarettes. Right now I am planning to go on a diet soon to take off 10 pounds or so. I have been experimenting with different weights to determine how much I should weigh. My favorite meal is a Subway veggie sub on white bread with tomatoes, lettuce, bell pepper, red onion, cucumber, pepper, salt and oil! I don't cook except to microwave something simple like an Amy's brand vegan mac&chreeze, or I fry potatoes. I have 2 pit bulls! I:heart: desperately want to switch them to vegan dog food; however, I don't have enough money right now. I do not wear leather, fur, silk, feathers, pearl or shell. And I use vegan cosmetics, toiletries and household products.
  • 1RadChick
    1RadChick Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I'm new as well! I gradually changed over to Vegan after several months of realizing I didn't really like animal protein any more. I was 75% plant based for the longest time, then last week, I just dropped it. No Regrets.

Having said that, I'm wanting to be sure I do this right. I track my food daily here, and I just don't know how to do it! Do I worry about calories? How much carb do I need? The carbs keep coming high. Is there a percentage that will make this easier? Guidance?

Yea, I am a Virgo. LOL I like it to be fairly straight forward to understand. And I haven't been losing (I'm 53) for months so I am hoping this will help. It's amazing, my DOCTOR recommended it! I was floored. That was 2 years ago, and I have dabbled ever since but now I'm fully on board.

Any guidance would be appreciated. I know I need to watch iron and B12, and I take Raw vitamins already... Is my daily 4 cups of Kale, 1 cup apple juice, 6 chunks frozen pineapple enough iron? What else do I need?

Thanks in advance!
  • jzombee
    jzombee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Jezabell and I am on my third week of transitioning to Vegan. I decided to do it after watching videos on animal cruelty in the farming industry and also after watching forks over knives. I am a big animal lover and already practice veganism before I even knew there was a name for it! I am looking for new like minded friends to join me during the transition and just to encourage eachother and chit chat about life and such! :D