How are your lipids/cholesterol on Paleo?

Options
kskroch
kskroch Posts: 288 Member
Been evolving into low-carb paleo the last 9 months or so. Just got my blood work back for my annual physical and my LDL has gone up over 200 from 170 last year. My HDL is in the 50's (higher) and my triglycerides are 90 (same).

Wondering what my Doc is going to say. I will not go back on statins.

Replies

• hilliardjoe
    hilliardjoe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I just got my annual results back.

I dug out all my old results and put them into a spreadsheet so I could compare.

My cholesterol has basically bounced around 182-206 for the last 5 years.

My HDL seems to float between 37-46, my LDL (calculated) between 113 and 145.

The biggest change I've seen is in my triglycerides, they went from a range of 113-153 to 83 this year.

I've only been primal since Jan 1 of this year and my blood was drawn for the tests on Feb 28 so I'm not sure how long it will be to see the benefits but I'm not too worried about cholesterol anymore after learning more about it.

And in the past when discussing my results with my doctor she always seemed more concerned about my triglyceride numbers than the HDL/LDL numbers.
  • njdoll
    njdoll Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    These are my one-year Primal cholesterol numbers. I can't find my pre-Primal numbers but they were within normal range, with the total being under 200:

Total 204 (recommend under 200)
    Triglycerides: 36 (recommend under 150)
    HDL cholesterol: 81 (recommend over 39, with anything over 60 being a negative risk factor for coronary heart disease)
    VLDL Cholesterol: 7 (recommend 5-40)
    LDL Cholesterol Freidewald equation: 116; Iranian equation: 78 (recommend under 100)

All my ratios, which are a true indicator for risk of heart disease are excellent. One thing is to take your results with a grain of salt while you are still losing weight, it throws off your numbers.
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I just had my cholesterol checked last week... Here are my results.

Total 179

LDL 83

HDL 86

Tris 48

I've been eating Paleo for about a year now - generally about 80/20. I have been eating low carb though for the last 12 years and generally no grains. I'm 47, btw.
  • kskroch
    Options
    Anyone get the LDL particle size/count done? My doctor said they don't do it unless you have a heart attack.
  • njdoll
    njdoll Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Anyone get the LDL particle size/count done? My doctor said they don't do it unless you have a heart attack.

Not I. My doc is so old school he is hung up on the fact that my total is 4 points over 200 and ignoring the ratios. He told me if I was in menopause, he'd prescribe statins. I gave him a blank stare. I doubt he'd know what to do with LDL pattern A/B breakdown.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Yes, don't be overly concerned about the cholesterol amounts. Tests for cholesterol have existed a long time and that's why they have been the main focus however, high cholesterol in general is NOT an indicator of a problem (contrary to what we have been brainwashed to believe!). There are different types of cholesterol and it's not even as simple as LDL versus HDL. As someone already mentioned, triglycerides are a better indicator.

I eat an extremely high fat primal diet, just like many hunter/gatherers, and while I don't go to the doctor anymore, I don't need blood tests to confirm what I know: that I am the healthiest I have been in my entire life. I could fill this page with the health problems that were resolved immediately after changing my diet, but of course it's just "anecdotal". LOL
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    06/13/12
    Total Cholesterol 178
    HDL 35
    Triglycerides 103
    LDL 122
    TC/HDL 5.1

11/15/12
    Total Cholesterol 165
    HDL 37
    Triglycerides 68
    LDL 116
    TC/HDL 4.5

02/14/13
    Total Cholesterol 180
    HDL 37
    Triglycerides 74
    LDL 128
    TC/HDL 4.8

The most significant change has been in my triglycerides and ratio. When I started it was the ratio that was of most concern.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Remember LDL is highly influenced by partical size and the "equation" used. It isn't a solid science.
    I do wonder if by LDL of 200 you "might" have meant TTL? 200 does seem high.
    My TTL is within 3 points of "desirable" but i don't give a crap as my HDL is so high and my Trigs are so low with amazing ratios.
    This was on a solid bacon and egg diet almost every day. lots of both. Lots of red meat.

HDL 63 : <40 poor, 50 acceptable, >60 best/protective (ROCKSTAR)
    LDL 118 : 100-120 Near Ideal (Good) (excellent depending on pattern A vs pattern B)
    Trig 80 : <150 Desirable (ROCKSTAR)
    Total 197 : <200 Desirable (Good)
    Trig/HDL 1.27 (super low): 2 or below is "desirable" with 4 being high. Indicator of pattern A vs pattern B! high ratio strongest predictor of heart attack.
    TTL/HDL 3.12 (super low): Ideal <=5
    LDL/HDL 1.87 (UNBELIEVABLY LOW): Ideal <=4.3 7-11 considered moderate
  • kskroch
    Options
    Met with the doc today, she was concerned but not freaked out.
    Actual numbers:
    Total Cholesterol: 232
    Triglycerides: 109
    HDL: 51
    LDL Calculated: 181

She wants to check again in 6 months - given that it has varied a lot the few years with my dieting/weight loss and off statins. Given my history and family history if it is still in this range recommend me to a cardiac assessment that will to the breakdown on the LDL. The most positive development is that my HDL is up from 34 to 51 from a year ago and the Trigs are about the same.