Need to replace sugars in recpies

Options
kcaffee1
kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
Help! I've got some soda/ sparkling water recipes that call for sugar, honey, or molasses to make a base for the drinks. I don't want to use these, but don't know what to replace the sugars with. Any suggestions?

Replies

• carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Could you maybe use splenda? I don't like to use anything other than sugar when I bake, but maybe it will be ok for drinks.
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    How much sugar?

Most things in moderation, and I'd prefer sugar over sweetners, but thats just me
  • kcaffee1
    Options
    @ carolemorden9 - I can't handle splenda. Something in the formula wreaks havoc on my stomach.

@ jsiricos - most of the recipes call for about 1/4 cup sugar, but I'm very sensitive to it. It does nasty things to my bs.

I've tried stevia, and it worked OK. The drinks I made were a little on the waaay too sweet side. I think my conversion ratio was off. But, for the moment, I've backed off of brewing up my own syrups because the carb counts are ridiculous, and wreak havoc on said bs. I've found that the ocean spray on-the-go packets work well though, so may stick with them.

Sorry about the delay in replying. I missed the update that there had been responses. ::Grins:: Got a little side tracked.
  • dylansmom87
    dylansmom87 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Ive been using Brown sugar blend in my recipes. Maybe that would work, and you dont use as much as sugar
  • kcaffee1
    Options
    May try that this weekend. Still picking through the recipes. So far the ones I've tried have been flops.
  • tonyoconnor129
    tonyoconnor129 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have no self control whatsoever, so I've eliminated all sweeteners from my diet for the time being.
    I figure that once I know what coffee, tea, apples really taste like I may go back to using
    other sweeteners in moderation.
  • kcaffee1
    Options
    Still planning on trying some new recipes this weekend, but for the moment have found a delicious set of flavors I can use that keeps the per-liter cost under what I was paying for the store bought stuff. Thanks everyone for the info. I'll try to post what the results of the experiments were like.