Week 6

Options
fitplease
fitplease Posts: 647 Member
Week 6 has been easier than W5D3. I just finished W6D2 and realize that this is the end of walking breaks for the rest of the program. I am a bit nervous about the 25 min run coming up on W6D3, but after last week, I think I can do it.

How was your W6D3 run? Was it easier than W5D3 or just as difficult?

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Week 6, 7 and 8 can be challenging. But the thing is that you know you can do it. You know how to breathe and pace yourself and that you're physically capable of it. You know how great you'll feel after the run.

My biggest obstacle in the last weeks (aside from getting myself confused about form) was boredom. I missed the intervals because they kept me entertained. I had to learn how to focus on my music or the next corner coming up or the next hill.
  • fitplease
    Options
    I completed W6D3 easily! I ran 1.8 miles straight. Because I ran so far in one direction, I actually ended up doing 3.3 miles altogether. The last 1.5 miles were mostly walking, with a little light jog for a few minutes.

Unfortunately, I decided not to run on my heels so much and didn't quite get my form right until the end, so I have had some tight calf muscles for a couple of days. Lesson learned. :-)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    You did a 5k (3.2 miles)!!! That is awesome.

It took me until week 8 to get my form down and then everything was so much smoother and more efficient. You are doing it!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Agreed....you are doing great! Just concentrate on each day and you'll make it through.
  • melissafawnw
    melissafawnw Posts: 67 Member
    Options

My biggest obstacle in the last weeks (aside from getting myself confused about form) was boredom. I missed the intervals because they kept me entertained. I had to learn how to focus on my music or the next corner coming up or the next hill.

Boredom is happening to me too. I sometimes need to go on new runs to see new things. I started trying to listen to audiobooks to get lost in those and forget how long I'm running.
  • alanfogarty
    Options
    I did week 6 d3 yesterday I definitely found it the most difficult so far. Like yourself I am worried about week 7 and 8 but then again I was worried about other days. Also and they. Worked out. So I think we can do this
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Alan - you nailed the rest of your running life. 10 minutes into a run... "I don't know if I can do this. I'm tired and I have to pee. Why am I doing this?"

Except you did it the day before. And two days before that. And a week ago. And every other day the month before that.... So you know you can do it today. And probably the day after tomorrow too.
  • fitplease
    Options
    I started trying to listen to audiobooks to get lost in those and forget how long I'm running.

This is a great idea! I'll have to remember that for later.
  • BigBigBertha
    BigBigBertha Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I completed W6D3 today, I was so worried as I had to repeat W6D2 as I just couldn't do it the first time round... but I did it! Very proud!

Running is so much to do with your mentality as well... there was no reason why I couldn't complete W6D2 first time round, since I had done the much longer 3.2km run of W5D3 just days before For me most runs my head is constantly 'I can't do this... YES I CAN... I can't do this... YES I CAN!!'

I am apprehensive about the weeks I have left with no walking intervals!!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    You will be great, Bertha. You could actually go crank out a 30 minute run right now if you wanted to. The last couple of weeks are about conditioning you so that this amount of running becomes your baseline.
  • newfie_74
    newfie_74 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting week 6, so far so good. The rest of the program just seems to be geared towards increasing endurance. I'm still surprised sometimes that I've made it this far :)
  • kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Alan - you nailed the rest of your running life. 10 minutes into a run... "I don't know if I can do this. I'm tired and I have to pee. Why am I doing this?"

Except you did it the day before. And two days before that. And a week ago. And every other day the month before that.... So you know you can do it today. And probably the day after tomorrow too.

OH MY GOSH THIS IS ME. It goes on for....pretty much the entire run. The constant dialogue in my head...UGH :)