Tips for strengthening hands and fingers?

Options
red9812
red9812 Posts: 85 Member
I've noticed my fingers are a bit stiff/sore,especially in my left hand (I'm very right hand dominant). My ring finger feels almost jammed. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I love my pole class and would hate for this to get worse!

I've just started doing basic inverts without a spotter and I'm really excited to learn more!

Replies

• bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    One that the instructor had taught us was to do push ups on your fingertips, it hurts like crazy but you will get strength in your hands.
  • red9812
    red9812 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Great idea, I'll give it a try. Thanks!
  • erbear117
    erbear117 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    rock climbing!! very empowering and challenging too!
    you can also get one of those squeezy hand resistance things to squeeze in your spare time.
    my aerial teacher would also have us close our fists and open them, as quickly as you can, over and over, while keeping your arms straight out in front of you. when it starts to burn your forearms and fingers... keep it going!!!!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I went rock climbing for the first time today. I can vouch for this suggestion. Ow. Ow. Ow. When can we go again? Ow. Ow. Ow....

EAT: This was an event sponsored by my studio, too!
  • Carriesund
    Carriesund Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I got a Dynaflex when I started and a pull-up bar. I use the pull-up bar to do a lot of core exercises but I spend a lot of time when I first got it just hanging on it with one hand or the other. The Dynaflex has a weight in it that spins and has exercises that can help you with your grip and to strengthen forearm strength and hand strength. It helped me a lot with my split grip.

I love the idea of push ups on finger tips I am going to have to try that one.

Congrats on the inverts! I just love being upside down!
  • carissar7
    carissar7 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Hi! Your hands should likely improve with grip naturally the more you pole dance. I used to complain all the time about my small hands on the pole and how my grip was horrible. Now it's a lot better and I've been pole dancing for 2 years. Just keep at it and you will get stronger. Another thing that I feel improved my grip strength was weight training.
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I found aerial silks really helped improve my grip for pole, but my lack of grace was to much of a handicap
  • lori_en
    lori_en Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I still get stiff fingers sometimes after gripping the pole tight for long periods of time, but it's not painful

The main pain I seem to get these days is in my forearm/wrist whenever I try moves like the flag or staburst... really annoys me as it stops me doing these moves that I love so much! :(