Replies

• arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Subbed.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Dubbed if they get good voice actors, Subbed if they don't. I really liked the dubbed versions of Hayao Miyazaki's films especially Howl's Moving Castle.
  • Coffeegirl101
    Options
    For me, though there's nothing wrong with dubbed, I prefer the subbed version. There are just so my emotions that the voice actors put in their words and inflections that I feel it gets lost in dubbed version. Japanese sense of humor is different. (in my mind it's better :love: )
  • axlm
    axlm Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I prefer subbed over dubbed for a few reasons. Since I'm trying to learn Japanese, I can get a lot of exposure to different grammar points by listening to anime. (Well, more than if I didn't listen to anything) Secondly, as others in the subbed category have stated, it just sounds better in the original Japanese. (exception: "(verb stem)ttebayo 「。。。ってばよ」", I heard that so much in my Naruto days, that I can't stand it anymore.)
  • cmls10
    cmls10 Posts: 16
    Options
    i like the subs , but i will totally go with DUBs, because if i just watch it w dubs , i loose track of the story and loose the episode and sometimes the ppl talk to fast and i have to rewind it to finish reading
  • mairinosteen
    mairinosteen Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Dubbed if they get good voice actors, Subbed if they don't. I really liked the dubbed versions of Hayao Miyazaki's films especially Howl's Moving Castle.

^This. Miyazaki's films are just so pretty that I don't like how the subbed versions block part of the picture. But it also depends on how quite I need to be, so if I am in my room watching anime on my computer and someone is in the next room I will normally watch it subbed but if no one is around I will crank up the volume and watch it dubbed.
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Subbed... I honestly cannot stand dubbed anime. I know that anime characters come out with ridiculous lines regardless of the language, but they don't sound quite so bad in Japanese! If I watch it dubbed into English I just cringe.

I have on occasion watched my favourite series' dubbed, just to see what the voice actors are like... Naruto is particularly hilarious. But it also makes me sad that there are probably huge Naruto fans out there who don't know the phrase 'dattabayo' even exists.

Maybe it's because I'm British though, and the dubs are always American. It sounds too cheesy to me.
    It's also helping my Japanese loads without even realising, which is a cool bonus.

or "Sokka" Not sure of the spelling. I believe it means. "I see"
  • LunarGypsy
    LunarGypsy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'll watch both but I have found that so much emotion and inflection gets lost when they dub them to english unless they pick a truly stellar voice cast. My fave anime, Ayashi No Ceres is HORRIBLE in english dub. HORRIBLE.......seriously, I do not know why they bothered cause it's so terrible it's painful to watch. But there are some, such as Death Note, that have truly excellent vocal casts that add to the excellent story.
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I watch subbed for pretty much all anime.

Edit: hahaha i just realized I've already answered this xP
  • KuroNyankoSensei
    KuroNyankoSensei Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Subs, American seiyuu 99.9% of the time cannot capture the raw emotion and the soul that Japanese seiyuu put into their characters. For example, Mamoru Miyano's example for Light's laugh in Death Note. He essentially became Light in that one moment. That is pure talent.

Only exceptions for dubs I would watch, as people mentioned before in this thread, are Studio Ghibli's productions. The dubs are good in these because one of their collaborators is DISNEY, and we all know how d*mn rich Disney is. Production values = $$$$$$$. Howls' Moving Castle for example, Christian Bale voiced Howl. Yeah, that expensive. And his was voice acting was fantastic, as well as Sophie's authentic British accent, because, for all of you who don't know, Howl's Moving Castle is loosely based on a British novel of the same name, (which I own and is absolutely wonder x3.)
  • dollhousedolly
    dollhousedolly Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have gotten lazy. So now I mostly watch dubs.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I like both ^_^ but I prefer dubbed cuz it is easier for me to focus on the action xD
  • toshi89
    toshi89 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    For me it really depends on what I am watching. Some shows change to much after dubbing, some don't. Some sound awful in English, some don't. It's a pick and choose for me. Example; Soul Eater, English dub SUCKS! Sailor Moon, I prefer English, the voices are less annoying, BUT when they brought it over they changed the story a lot.
  • toshi89
    toshi89 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Subbed... I honestly cannot stand dubbed anime. I know that anime characters come out with ridiculous lines regardless of the language, but they don't sound quite so bad in Japanese! If I watch it dubbed into English I just cringe.

I have on occasion watched my favourite series' dubbed, just to see what the voice actors are like... Naruto is particularly hilarious. But it also makes me sad that there are probably huge Naruto fans out there who don't know the phrase 'dattabayo' even exists.

Maybe it's because I'm British though, and the dubs are always American. It sounds too cheesy to me.
    It's also helping my Japanese loads without even realising, which is a cool bonus.

or "Sokka" Not sure of the spelling. I believe it means. "I see"

It does "Soka"
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    As one who has had to suffer through the mid 90's "dubbed by dummies" proliferation of VHS, I can say that dubbing has definitely improved in the past two decades.

May you never have to deal with someone pronouncing katana as "Cat-anna".

That being said - the dub of Shinesman is almost the pinnacle of good dubbing. It was low budget, but the people doing the dub not only got the jokes the original was trying to pull off, they even added jokes when the original joke wouldn't translate well.

Since Netflix only does dubbed, I'm willing to tolerate it. Lets my reading brain rot a bit, and I can pay attention to my son's chaos-raising while it plays in the background.

Ghibli films are just sweet all around, dubbed or not. Even Ni no Kuni (the Ghibli videogame that just came out), is just great on all accounts (and you actually get to pick whether the game is subbed or dubbed, too!)
  • EMJenkinson
    EMJenkinson Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Subbed, when I can and have time. If I've got other things to do, dubbed is easier for me to keep track of.
  • amysteri
    amysteri Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Subbed!
    I get annoyed when the English voice actors over exaggerate their voices... sometimes the voice is too high pitched or some characters just sound corny. It's just sad. I'd rather just see the English subtitles and hear the original voice actors of the anime because they portray the characters and emotions better and set the mood right for the scene.

I think a good example is Naruto. Just the way the English voice actors pronounce Naruto is different.
    I don't know why the english voice actors change it and they say Naruto as Naru-toe :noway: or they say Sasuke as Sas-kay :noway: ...it just kills me when they say it that way. It's a little funny actually. So if there's serious fighting or drama going on in the episode and I hear something pronounced differently it just kills the mood for me:ohwell: It's not bad, but I don't think they should divert from how something is originally pronounced. I don't see a reason for it. And it makes it easier too.

It's not just Naruto, other anime series as well. And that's why I prefer just hearing the original voice actors and reading the subtitles. But there are also some anime series with really good english dubbing :smile:

But that's just my opinion :flowerforyou:
  • JeanDescole
    JeanDescole Posts: 152
    Options
    Depends on the anime.

Some things I can accept either way (Nerima Daikon Brothers, Fruits Basket, Abenobashi Magical shopping arcade), some I MUST have dubbed (Cowboy Bebop, samurai Champloo, Slayers--[granted the acting in some cases is God awful, but I just adore Lina Inverse's English voice]) and others Have! Have! HAVE! to be subbed (Lucky star, Magikano, Ouran High school Host Club)

And, I have the have Lucky Star and Ouran dubbed. I'm throwing down the gauntlet!

-ahem- I agree with most of the posters that it depends on the anime. I liked FMA dubbed, and really, I like most of the anime with Vic Mignogna dubbed. I also liked Soul Eater, Fruits Basket, Claymore, and Baccano! dubbed. In my opinion, Baccano! kinda needs to be dubbed to get the full effect.

As for Naruto, Bleach, Monster, Death Note, XXXHolic, Elfin Lied have to be subbed.

There are some that I watched subbed that really the subbing sucked. Such as Macross Zero. It doesn't distinguish between when one person's line ends and another begins. Example (not actually from the anime, just two lines I can think of)
    What is supposed to be said

"I like purple bananas, they're great for throwing at people."
    "I prefer pineapples because they cause more damage."

What is said:
    "I like purple"
    "bananas, they're great for throwing at people. I prefer pineapples."
    *2 minutes after talking actually stopped and really random*
    "they cause more damage. [start next line that has nothing to do with either pineapples or bananas. Maybe it's about kittens or something.]

I need Lucky Star and Ouran HS dubbed but I oddly prefer FMA (not brotherhood) subbed due to the way they say "Edowardo Erreek" - I guess I'm strange like that...
  • Naptownbabi
    Naptownbabi Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    subbed!!!
  • JeanDescole
    JeanDescole Posts: 152
    Options

^This. Miyazaki's films are just so pretty that I don't like how the subbed versions block part of the picture. But it also depends on how quite I need to be, so if I am in my room watching anime on my computer and someone is in the next room I will normally watch it subbed but if no one is around I will crank up the volume and watch it dubbed.

There are actually 2 different english dubs of Arriety but I prefer the British one because I think the VA's are a little less melodramatic, plus I am from England...