Newish to hypothyroidism..

Options
I am SOO happy there is a group for this. I was recently diagnosed (in October last year) And after they put me on meds I realized I wasn't crazy! There was a reason I was so "lazy" and depressed! The "new me" is HAPPY! It's just hard for me to lose the extra pounds I gained in the last year (close to 30) any pointers??

Replies

• keitell
    keitell Posts: 1
    Options
    I have struggled for a few years and many pounds. I think I am finally on the right medications and dosage. Over the last 17 months I have lost 42 pounds, which isn't super fast, but it is staying off. I have used fitness pal and kept logs of my food. I have also tried to consistently eat vegetables, fruit and lean protein, with only occasional starches such as crackers, breads, pasta, rice, potatoes etc. If I were perfect, I think I would have lost 60 pounds, but I have my days or weeks where the brownies are calling, or I get hooked on bread again, but usually after a week or two I feel worse even though my mouth is happy with the taste, and I get back to the basics - fruit, veggies and lean protein. 42 down and 42 to go!!! I want to make it by November 2014, for my 50th birthday.
    Good Luck!
  • kalynnichole7
    Options
    GREAT JOB!! I am thinking they need to give me a higher dose & go to the dr April 30th to do more blood work and such, I still have random moments where I feel like I am getting down again but now I know there is a reason behind it & push myself,. When I first strted the meds the dr told me to keep on the look out because I would loose weigt drastically, that is NOT the case, in fact I have gained at least 8 lbs since starting. Now I am on this app which I find AMAZING! & hopefully it helps :)
  • dtorcisi3
    dtorcisi3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism in my mid 30's and have been on synthroid/levorox for years.Never in my 10+ years has these pills help me loose weight. They are not diet pills, but they do help me to get me out of bed. It took me a year or so to get the right dosage, but then your body changes and you have to adjust. I am now taking Armorthyroid and I am not sure it is as effective. I am so tired and really have to push myself to workout. I am due for blood work in a month or two. Is anyone else on this medicine?
  • Helen_Luvnlife
    Helen_Luvnlife Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I have been on medication for hypothyroidism for about 10 years. My doctor told me it would help me lose weight too but that never happened. I just kept gaining! It wasn't until I really put a lot of effort into it that I started to lose. I exercise hard and log everything I eat. MFP has really helped with that. I think our thyroids make it harder and slower to lose weight but it isn't impossible.
  • adcruz4377
    Options
    I was on levoxyl alone for awhile and my dr added armour thyroid when she wasn't seeing enough change in my blood work after multiple dosage adjustments. the combination of the 2 works pretty well. my bloodwork has been coming back in normal range for all my visits over the last year and I definitely notice the difference when I forget to take it. I have been taking it in the morning historically, but just changed my schedule to workout in the mornings instead of evening, so it makes it too hard to have to wait the 45 minutes after waking to eat and I can't workout on an empty stomach. My dr suggested taking it before bed instead. Has anyone tried that and does it become any less effective for you. I am noticing a 2pm slump where I really need caffeine and not sure if this has to do with the change in medication or I just need to get used to the new schedule- it's only been a week.
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I've been on Armour medication for about a year and a half. My hair was falling out, I had awful heart palps. and my nails were a mess. I had polycystic ovaries when I was younger, and suffered a miscarriage as well-I've pretty much had symptoms of hypothyroid since I was in my teens, and I'm 57 now! I'm very active, but I've only recently started to lose weight-I've been religious about taking probiotics, as I exhibit signs of leaky gut as well. I'm not tired at all-if you are tell your doctor-there's no need t be miserable, Good luck!
  • faunae17
    faunae17 Posts: 17
    Options
    I have Hashimotos and have been on Synthroid most of my life. Be very careful of doctors prescribing hormone meds for female problems and steroids for back pain. They'll just make you gain weight. Always check with your endocrinologist first. He or she will probably check your thyroid levels more often while on these meds.
  • sarcosis1
    sarcosis1 Posts: 42
    Options
    I have been on medication for hypothyroidism for about 3 years now, diagnosed when I was just 15. It was only a year ago since I managed to lose some weight but it does and can happen. I have lost 70lbs so far. Don't let it beat you, with the right dose of meds, and the right lifestyle change, it's possible. :-)
  • JennDoesKeto
    JennDoesKeto Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Hi! Ive been on thyroid meds for 10+ years. the only time i have been able to loose weight has been with low low carb diet and high fruits veggies diet with some protein. most of the time i juice my veggies and fruits. once you get the right does of meds and start losing make sure the dr checks your TSH levels to make sure you don't need adjustment as weight loss can change the dose you need. i have been up and down on meds as i lost 80lbs then gained back 20 of that. almost back to the 80lb loss so i know another change will be coming soon.
  • faunae17
    Options
    Way to go, Jenn! I've lost 20 and have 40 to go. I limit myself to 3-300 cal. meals and 2-150 cal. snacks. I walk three times around the mall each evening. I'm having to track my progress again. The month I didn't log my food, I stayed the same weight. It's surprising how many calories come from coffee and fruits and nuts. :drinker:
  • kalynnichole7
    Options
    Recently I have been noticing myself "depressed" again.. Not lall the time but for a hour here and there... There is no reason for it (except my weight) but it sometimes feels to over power me until I get over it... does this happen to anyone else?
  • faunae17
    Options
    Hi Kalyn, Since no one replied to your statement, I'll give it a try. First, know that many, many things can cause depression, including thyroid disease. What you look like , both inside and out can cause depression. What has happened in the past or present can cause depression. The sun and moon can cause depression. Whatever it is, I'm afraid only you know, or with the help of counseling, will eventually know.

The question is, how do you treat your individual self? Some people just need a comfortable chair and a book. Some people need a message or foot bath. Some people need severe counseling and medication. Whatever your situation is, you know within yourself what needs to be changed. I was depressed in the 90's. I started and quit counseling, started and quit pills(prozac), and then I caught Ilyana on the the Oprah Winfrey show one day. She basically said you need to feed your soul. She said you need to help someone else in order to help yourself. So I went to the Hospice House and volunteered one day a week. I fed, dressed, talked, and read to these patients. Every time I left, everyone (nurses, assistants, other help) would hug me goodbye! They always thanked me! My neighbors and family came to respect me. I was often called upon whenever one of them had a dying member of their family in Hospice. It's amazing how many people are afraid to be with a loved one at his last breath.

Anyway, the fact is, depression now and then for whatever reason is pretty normal. If you have it for extended periods of time, it can cause chemical changes in your brain and even psychotic episodes. So it is important to talk to your doctor and take care of yourself. Good luck! And I hope this helps.
  • 88Genesee
    88Genesee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I just found this group and am very happy it/you all exist. I was recently diagnosed and it is a relief to know the cause. I thought I was just depressed, lazy, old,etc. I realize now that all of my efforts were not going to make the impact without proper medication. I'm on the road to recovery. . .
  • nikkicancilla
    nikkicancilla Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi Im Nikki, nearly 40 and I was diagnosed with under active thyroid about 3 weeks ago....am on thryoxine 50mcg a day. Been taking the tablets for neary 3 weeks and dont think I feel much better yet.........
    Im due to go for blood tests again the beginning of July with a review just before I go away on holiday. I really hope the meds start to work soon cus I thought once I started the meds it would get better but i still feel tired, cold, achy muscles and the weight still isnt shifting!!!
    Hey Ho
  • mj1209
    mj1209 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hey, I found out I am hypo about a year and a half ago. I was gaining weight, NO energy, depressed, tired, and skin and hair changes. Achy and utterly hopeless. Thank GOD I have a good doctor who put me on Vit D, Armour, antidepressants. I take 11 pills a day haha! and have lost 55 lbs with 30 or so to go. If you are unhappy and still having symtoms that are distressing find a good ENDOCRINOLOGIST in your area that is hypo friendly. Ususally there is a way to find out who with all the info on the web. Good luck!!
  • crumptet29
    crumptet29 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi everyone, I was diagnosed with hypo about 2 months ago and was put on Synthroid. My levels went from 6.67M/UL to 2.19 M/UL in 6 weeks. I was happy to hear that my levels were within the normal range. I'm on 75 mg of Synthroid. I take my pills everyday at the same time on an empty stomach and don't eat for an hour after (I set my alarm for 5am). I've been eating super healthy, working out every morning for an hour at the gym, biking to and from work, and going for long bike rides (about 3 hours) with my husband on Saturdays and Sundays.......and NOTHING!!! Not an ounce lost. I thought that I lost 3lbs last week only to get on the scale this week to see that I've gained it back. I'm so frustrated at this point I just don't know what else to do. At my whit's end!!!
  • faunae17
    Options
    Dear Crumpet,

You could have Hashimotos thyroid disease. It's an autoimmune dx. that affects the Thyroid Gland. Or, you could be taking other medicines that render the Synthroid inactive. Please ask your doctor to test for TPO antibodies next time you get blood work. An elevated level is indicative of Hashimotos. Get yourself an endocrinologist if you continue to feel tired and gain weight. It may be due to taking hormones or steroids or even some foods.

I've been hypothyroid most of my life and I feel I have lots of experience if you ever have questions. Also, sign-up for Mary Shoman's weekly newsletter. She is very good on the subject of hypothyroidism.

Nancy
  • crumptet29
    crumptet29 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you Nancy, I appreciate your help!! :)
  • lilybliss777
    Options
    reading everyones posts makes me feel better knowing that were all going through most of the same things. I'm always tired, lazy, depression creeps up, dry skin, headaches, etc, but one thing i dont have thats usually associated with low-thyroid is weight gain. I have been under 100 lbs and havent been able to exceed that weight until getting pregnant. after the baby i went back to under 100. I just cannot gain weight even after taking weight gain medication. Anyone have suggestions i would like to gain at least 10lbs or so.