Started and Stopped C25K too many times to count :(

Options
I TRULY believe in the power of gradually challenging yourself a little more each day and I have made it through to the middle of week 2 one time I tried this. But I always end up stopping.

I think its just one of those days where you run and you get tired and have no desire to push through anything so you stop because its so much easier to just stop than to finish what you started....

How did you finish what you started? Help me see your light at the end of the tunnel...

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I TRULY believe in the power of gradually challenging yourself a little more each day and I have made it through to the middle of week 2 one time I tried this. But I always end up stopping.

I think its just one of those days where you run and you get tired and have no desire to push through anything so you stop because its so much easier to just stop than to finish what you started....

How did you finish what you started? Help me see your light at the end of the tunnel...

There's your answer. When you are ready to give up "easy" and instant gratification and become willing to put forth hard effort and accept delayed gratification, you will do this. It requires discipline. Discipline is the difference between what you want now and what you want most. Do you want "easy" or do you want "I did it"?
  • FloraSin
    FloraSin Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I finished it by rewarding myself with the dollar equivalent to the km I did during each session. I still do it now for my regular runs. It helps me be sure I have money for new shoes when I run mine into the ground next (although this time I accidentally fell in love with a those new Nike flynit lunar 1+, and no matter how much I save I can't justify the $190 price tag).

Another big help is my boyfriend is strong. Much stronger than me, so I want to be the fast one. He plays soccer, so when he starts training, I just train harder because I want to be the better runner. Haha
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Sign up for a race 2-3 months from now - preferably something fun or a place that means something to you. That's what I did when I started and it kept me going.
  • April482
    April482 Posts: 10
    Options
    I think I'm doing this! Nothing motivates me like 1) looking like an idiot and 2) money, honey!

I think that signing up for a race will help with both. I'll push and keep training because I don't want to show up at a race and be the slowest poke and I'll definitely show up at the race because I'm cheap and if I pay for it? Ain't no way I'm skipping it!

Now I just need to pick the right race.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

There's your answer. When you are ready to give up "easy" and instant gratification and become willing to put forth hard effort and accept delayed gratification, you will do this. It requires discipline. Discipline is the difference between what you want now and what you want most. Do you want "easy" or do you want "I did it"?

What she said!
  • OdiEtAmo79
    OdiEtAmo79 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    And don't forget to go slow! You'll eventually build speed as you're increasing your distance. I've been able to get to week 5 and I never can make the jump to the 20 minute run or whatever it is!
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I finished it by rewarding myself with the dollar equivalent to the km I did during each session. I still do it now for my regular runs. It helps me be sure I have money for new shoes when I run mine into the ground next (although this time I accidentally fell in love with a those new Nike flynit lunar 1+, and no matter how much I save I can't justify the $190 price tag).

Another big help is my boyfriend is strong. Much stronger than me, so I want to be the fast one. He plays soccer, so when he starts training, I just train harder because I want to be the better runner. Haha

I LOVE the km/money idea. I think I'll start that too.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

An urgent need to stop or get a drink of water is one of my signals that I need to slow WAY down. You can push yourself later. Right now, focus on running as SLOWLY as you possibly can. You should be comfortably fatigued by the end of the entire 30 minute session, not exhausted and gasping for air.
  • pandabear7486
    pandabear7486 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've started and stopped it several times myself. I've made it as far as about 5 or 6 weeks I think at my strongest. I've also only done a week and stopped... My boyfriend and I found a local group that follows it in the area. We joined and with a group setting it's a little more motivating. Plus my boyfriend is really dedicated to losing the weight so it's a HUGE help. They time their training to complete an actual local 5K in the area at the end (optional). My boyfriend and I aren't sure if we're going to do the 5K or no yet. Too early. But maybe trying to find a local group that does it or like others suggested signing up for an actual 5K will help motivate you. Good luck!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    PandaBear - I think you should sign up for the 5k. Do it as a walk/jog if you have to, but it will be both a major motivator and a proud accomplishment when you complete it.
  • Stripeymitten
    Stripeymitten Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The long-lasting good (smug!) feeling you get when you've completed another day is way better than the fleeting feeling of relief when you give up.
    Also, I read on here and it's like my mantra, "if you can run slower, you're running too fast." Slowing down always always helped me carry on.

Good luck :)