To eat or not to eat before 1/2 marathon?

Options
ealynn
ealynn Posts: 4 Member
Hello! I am running my first half marathon in 2 weeks! Training and eating has been going well overall, but I have become sick to my stomach the last 2 weeks after my long runs. I have been eating the same things as before, which confuses me as to why I am having problems now. I have read some tips about not eating the morning of the race. I have always been a breakfast person (1/2 bagel and peanut butter 1.5 hour before a run), but am willing to do whatever it takes to not feel awful after my race. Do you guys eat before long runs or can you get by without eating and feel ok? Thanks for your help!

Replies

• MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I always eat before a long run. I think that the majority of runners here do not, so I am definitely in the minority. At home, I have a serving of Grits and one cup of coffee. If it is a race day, for some strange reason, I go for either a pancake or waffle and one cup of coffee. Don't ask me why, it just works for me. BUT~everyone is different! Experiment now. Do not wait until race day to try something new.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I have had problems with upset belly after long runs and I seem to have solved it. For me, I usually make sure I eat a little extra the day before, have some good carbs before the run. I also take one immodium (anti-diarrheal) before the run, and maybe have a few Tums afterwards. Also always eat something within a half hour of the run. Works for me. I eat a few gummi bears during the run too. I have been doing 13+ mile runs now for the last few weeks, and am feeling much better afterwards. Could be I am just getting used to them too!!

Shorter runs I do fasted quite often, but not longer runs.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I have to eat before a long run and there's no way I would be able to run a 1/2 on an empty belly. I treated mine just like any other LR. I have upset stomach from time to time after LR but that's bc of the well known issue many get, TMI, runners trots. Look it up to see if it describes you. What fixed it for me was cutting back on fiber and dairy the day before.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    I would absolutely eat!! The most critical thing is to not do anything different on race day than you are on your long runs.

I would try eating breakfast 2-2.5 hours before your long runs. Then having a gel or a sports drink about 15 minutes before the run.
  • brenstar05
    brenstar05 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I agree with the things other people have posted... experiment now to find what works for you, since everyone is different. I generally do not eat before a run, but if I'm going to do anything more than like 7 or 8, I will eat sometime small, like a banana or a power bar. When I did my last half, I ate a banana before the race started and then had my G-chews (gatorade sugar gummies) for the 5 and 10 mile marks. It seemed to work for me. I sometimes get an upset stomach after runs, so just make sure that you know where the porta-potties are on the race course... sometimes there's just nothing you can do about it. It's the curse of runners... :) Good luck on your race!! :)
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I cannot NOT eat before a long run... but I too have experienced some GI problems lately, mostly cramps esp when I'm getting tired on the course. I'm experimenting and I find that it's better to stick to a simple breakfast (simple carbs) and concentrate more on having a good meal the day before. (not greasy or too much fibre.) And cutting out my morning coffee before my runs. I know coffee works for some people but I think it may be the cause to my rumbles:( And sorry for the TMI boys but my GI system is more sensitive during TOM so I don't know how to work around that issue! I've heard of people taking immodium and may have to try that on race day.... !