Just started and had a few questions! Please help!

wolveslovemee
wolveslovemee Posts: 156 Member
Hi all-
So after 9 months of literally doing every single workout video known to man and going to the gym, Ive lost around 30 pounds (pics on my profile :)). I decided the other day I would try a free Crossfit workout at my local box to see what the deal is.

So Im wondering if you guys could help me.

Im 9 months in of working my *kitten* off. All of a sudden, during month 6-7, I STOPPED losing weight. I mean completely. Nothing I did made the weight change. The last 5 weeks, Ive gone 90% Paleo, and was working with a personal trainer who has been having me do my cardio at a steady state of 140 heart rate for longer than 30 mins with every other day of heavy heavy lifting.

Her information contradicts Crossfit. Crossfit is high intensity and my heart rate is all over the place.
How do people lose fat doing this? Of course, my goal is to be healthy and a well rounded "athlete" but I also REALLY want to be muscular/defined and lean (almost all the women on google images of "Crossfit" meet my ideal standards).

I just want to make sure this is something I should spend money on. I DID really enjoy my workout today and I had a lot of fun and the people there were really great. Im just concerned with spending more money/time on something that might not be good for my needs. What do you guys think?
Have any women who do CF had good results concerning fat loss?

If its any relevance, my stats are Im 5'4" or 5'5" and around 145 pounds.

Replies

• sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    First off, I'm going to say that as you get closer and closer to your calorie goal, it gets harder to shed fat. There are an enormous number of posts on MFP that can illuminate this better than I can explain. I suggest you start here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

I STRONGLY recommend using this site to calculate your BMR and TDEE: http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/. As you get closer to your weight goal, you should focus not on weight loss, but body recomposition. Instead of focusing on the number on the scale, focus on other fitness goals (body part measurements, caliper measurements, etc).

Crossfit is not going to burn more calories than any other exercise just because it's Crossfit. Crossfit is not about losing weight, it's about getting fit. It's about getting your body in a condition of optimal functioning so you can perform better at whatever you do (other sports, or just life in general). It is functional, high-intensity training - functional being the key word. The exercises are all designed to improve how our bodies function.

I suggest you use the 1percentedge.com link to come up with a 20-week calorie target plan based on your estimated TDEE, rest days and work out days and track meticulously. I guarantee you will see changes.
  • wolveslovemee
    First off, I'm going to say that as you get closer and closer to your calorie goal, it gets harder to shed fat. There are an enormous number of posts on MFP that can illuminate this better than I can explain. I suggest you start here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

I STRONGLY recommend using this site to calculate your BMR and TDEE: http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/. As you get closer to your weight goal, you should focus not on weight loss, but body recomposition. Instead of focusing on the number on the scale, focus on other fitness goals (body part measurements, caliper measurements, etc).

Crossfit is not going to burn more calories than any other exercise just because it's Crossfit. Crossfit is not about losing weight, it's about getting fit. It's about getting your body in a condition of optimal functioning so you can perform better at whatever you do (other sports, or just life in general). It is functional, high-intensity training - functional being the key word. The exercises are all designed to improve how our bodies function.

I suggest you use the 1percentedge.com link to come up with a 20-week calorie target plan based on your estimated TDEE, rest days and work out days and track meticulously. I guarantee you will see changes.

Thanks so much for the response and I deeply appreciate the links and I will most definitely read them!

As far as CF goes, I understand that it's not meant for fat loss and sure, the goals of CF meet mine in the sense that I would like to be a more well rounded person, fitness wise.
    I just see a lot of women who do CF all seem to have similar physiques, so I assume its correlated.

You're right about the lower fat being harder to lose, I've been at this hard for a while now and I'm getting frustrated. I'm not sure whether to stick with my trainer or go to cross fit. I don't doubt her ability {she's actually won several bodybuilding competitions and has 20+ years experience in fat shed). I thought maybe CF would be something different to try.

Maybe I'm just being impatient. After a 5 month plateau it just starts getting frustrating.
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 317 Member
    Honestly in my experience - which is similar to yours since I also stalled at a weight loss plateau for 5 months - when you hit a plateau like that its typically due to the fact that you are not eating enough to maintain your current level of activitiy.

When I hit my plateau, tried lowering my calories and I tried upping my exercise and when all that didnt work I finally UPPED my calories and the weight started coming off again.

Just something to think about.

Other than that - I vote you sign up for CrossFit.... you will not be disappointed.
  • ahemming1
    ahemming1 Posts: 93 Member
    I started CrossFit about 9 months ago. At that time, I had taken off about 55 pounds over the last two years by watching calories and I took up running distance - ran 2 1/2 marathons.

Since I started CrossFitting I have taken off between 5 and 10 pounds, however, my body has done some amazing things and I look like I have taken off more. People comment all the time...not to brag...I just have the weight to take off and it's easy to see that CrossFit has really help me define. I am 5'4", 150#, and wear a size 6.

I would agree with the other comments that CrossFit is so much more than losing the weight and even getting the definition - though that certainly has it's perks. It will challenge you mentally and physically and leaves you wanting....craving more. I've never participated in a sport or exercise program that comes close to the feeling I get from CrossFit. I'm not the strongest or the fastest but I feel invincible when I leave there. And it extends beyond the box - helping with the day to day stress and complications of every day life.

A few last words - I am 46 years old mother of 2 with hypothyroid (though I have tried to never use that as an excuse). I am ready to move to the next level and push myself even more. I want to see a 4-6 pack in my lifetime and truly 'compete' in an Open (I am signed up this year - but really want to compete next year or year after). I would never have dreamed I would have goals like this at my age a year ago!

Look around and find a good Box. The people and coaches make all the difference. It's worth every penny and you won't be sorry. Good Luck!

@Sara - thanks for the information. I am trying to improve my eating habits to take it up a notch. This will sure help!
  • kelr0110
    kelr0110 Posts: 213 Member
    Absolutely I agree @Sara - Thank you for the information and links. I was like "woah" when I read that.

@wolveslovemee I can't add much more to the extensive information that you have already received from everyone here. But I can give you my own testimony as a Crossfit newbie - I started in mid-December and I agree wholeheartedly with the above poster ahemming.....the feeling I get when I finish I WOD and leave - it absolutely extends beyond the box and I love it. Right now I'm nursing an injury and I'm still attending - the coaches are awesome enough to modify the WOD for me so I can still be a part.

My eating habits suck - I have 50 lbs I want to lose still.....I know exactly what I have to do, I just don't always execute it well. I previously lost 130 lbs though and even though I haven't lost anything on the scale since starting crossfit, I've gotten a TON of unsolicited comments from people saying they notice a difference which has been a small boost for my confidence even though I'm pissed off at my eating habits and scale number LOL.
  • wolveslovemee
    Honestly in my experience - which is similar to yours since I also stalled at a weight loss plateau for 5 months - when you hit a plateau like that its typically due to the fact that you are not eating enough to maintain your current level of activitiy.

When I hit my plateau, tried lowering my calories and I tried upping my exercise and when all that didnt work I finally UPPED my calories and the weight started coming off again.

Just something to think about.

Other than that - I vote you sign up for CrossFit.... you will not be disappointed.

Yeah this month since Ive been following the paleo regime I am up to about 16-1900 calories. According to one of the websites listed above (thank you!!) it said I should be around 1780 anyway, so seems like Im right on track regarding that. Before i was around 1400 or 1300. So I have definitely upped my cals the last 5-6 weeks.
    My trainer who had suggested that when I started with her 6 weeks ago.

And I will sign up today :) My second class is at 12 noon.
  • wolveslovemee
    I started CrossFit about 9 months ago. At that time, I had taken off about 55 pounds over the last two years by watching calories and I took up running distance - ran 2 1/2 marathons.

Since I started CrossFitting I have taken off between 5 and 10 pounds, however, my body has done some amazing things and I look like I have taken off more. People comment all the time...not to brag...I just have the weight to take off and it's easy to see that CrossFit has really help me define. I am 5'4", 150#, and wear a size 6.

I would agree with the other comments that CrossFit is so much more than losing the weight and even getting the definition - though that certainly has it's perks. It will challenge you mentally and physically and leaves you wanting....craving more. I've never participated in a sport or exercise program that comes close to the feeling I get from CrossFit. I'm not the strongest or the fastest but I feel invincible when I leave there. And it extends beyond the box - helping with the day to day stress and complications of every day life.

A few last words - I am 46 years old mother of 2 with hypothyroid (though I have tried to never use that as an excuse). I am ready to move to the next level and push myself even more. I want to see a 4-6 pack in my lifetime and truly 'compete' in an Open (I am signed up this year - but really want to compete next year or year after). I would never have dreamed I would have goals like this at my age a year ago!

Look around and find a good Box. The people and coaches make all the difference. It's worth every penny and you won't be sorry. Good Luck!

@Sara - thanks for the information. I am trying to improve my eating habits to take it up a notch. This will sure help!

Wow congrats on all your success that is truly inspirational!
    And I love how youre a size 6 and weight 150.
    Im totally fine with the numer (for myself) but I am not ok with having a 30" waist (which is what I currently have). Im not ok with fat deposits on my chest and hips, and even though I have been working out for 9 months with heavy lifting, cardio, the like: I still do have a touch of flab on my arms (if you get what Im saying, haha).

I will definitely continue with Crossfit and see if it helps with the plateau. I just find it so weird that my personal trainers method is so different from Crossfit. I guess I cant sit here and speculate till I try both methods.
  • wolveslovemee
    Absolutely I agree @Sara - Thank you for the information and links. I was like "woah" when I read that.

@wolveslovemee I can't add much more to the extensive information that you have already received from everyone here. But I can give you my own testimony as a Crossfit newbie - I started in mid-December and I agree wholeheartedly with the above poster ahemming.....the feeling I get when I finish I WOD and leave - it absolutely extends beyond the box and I love it. Right now I'm nursing an injury and I'm still attending - the coaches are awesome enough to modify the WOD for me so I can still be a part.

My eating habits suck - I have 50 lbs I want to lose still.....I know exactly what I have to do, I just don't always execute it well. I previously lost 130 lbs though and even though I haven't lost anything on the scale since starting crossfit, I've gotten a TON of unsolicited comments from people saying they notice a difference which has been a small boost for my confidence even though I'm pissed off at my eating habits and scale number LOL.

Thanks for the post Kelr!
    Regarding eating habits, it took me a while to get the whole paleo regime down (not that you have to go that route, just using it as an example). I eventually cut out cheese, then grains, then all the little bits of extras I was consuming. The ONLY thing I am not willing to give up is my greek yogurt I have as my "dessert". Just no way Im giving it up lol.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    When I started CF I was at maintenance (62 kg / 136 lbs) slim, but lacking muscle definition and that lean muscular look). I took up CF because I was bored at the gym and wanted to try something different.
    I fell in love with it because it constantly challenges me and it is ALWAYS different and ALWAYS hard. I don't weigh myself now and am sure my weight has crept up BUT my clothes fit the same, and I look and feel stronger and I can see definition in all the right places now. Most importantly I feel like a rock star when I leave my box! I am doing things I never would have attempted at the gym and instead of just having aesthetic goals, my goals now including being able to do strict pull ups, and to possibly join next years CF Open.
    While I still struggle somewhat with my diet, I try to follow 80% Primal diet (which is Paleo with dairy) - this needs more work though :smile:
    Try it and see how you feel, your physical goals will happen - it's your mentality that will blossom and grow!
    Good luck and let us know how you get on - add me as a friend if you want encouragement & feedback.
  • wolveslovemee
    So today was day 2 and we did deadlifts, which the highest weight I could go without getting freaked out was 105#. I just kept getting concerned about injury so I played it safe even though the coaches told me they thought I could do more.
    We followed with double unders and sprints up hill x 4 which sucked, but all in all I had a great time.

I cant help but feel totally like I need to be doing more. I'm so used to my regime at the gym taking 2 hours (1 of strength, 1 of steady state cardio).

At this point I'm just really hope I'm doing enough not to undo any work I've already done. I really only got a good sweat the last 15 or so minutes. Push harder?
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Push harder, yes^.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    I used to feel like that too - I think the main thing is to push as hard as you can - it's easy to fall into the mentality to save some energy because your used to having a longer work out. So now I try to go all out - knowing that at the end of my WOD I can do nomore.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    One time my weight loss stagnated for a year. Yes, a whole year. the only time that scale moved was TOM, and afterward it would go right back to where it was. I was frustrated, but I was in excellent shape and looked good so didn't worry about it.

Then, out of nowhere, the scale began to fall (long after I had stopped worrying about losing). I think if you're already doing what your body needs (eating for your body, working out and such) that sometimes the body just goes into internal change mode and you don't see the difference on the scale for awhile.

You can try and shake up your routine and your nutrition. But sometimes you have to just accept it for awhile.

CF has helped me overcome the latest rut, but I'm gaining weight and actually getting broader (yikes) so I'm not sure it's the best thing for me long term. But I still love it, haha, because I'm seeing cool muscles I never had.
  • wolveslovemee
    One time my weight loss stagnated for a year. Yes, a whole year. the only time that scale moved was TOM, and afterward it would go right back to where it was. I was frustrated, but I was in excellent shape and looked good so didn't worry about it.

Then, out of nowhere, the scale began to fall (long after I had stopped worrying about losing). I think if you're already doing what your body needs (eating for your body, working out and such) that sometimes the body just goes into internal change mode and you don't see the difference on the scale for awhile.

You can try and shake up your routine and your nutrition. But sometimes you have to just accept it for awhile.

CF has helped me overcome the latest rut, but I'm gaining weight and actually getting broader (yikes) so I'm not sure it's the best thing for me long term. But I still love it, haha, because I'm seeing cool muscles I never had.

Yeah its been a good 4-5 months (ish) that Ive been on plateau. Ive only just really started Primal/paleo so...Ill keep going.
    i am enjoying Cf a lot, Im just really not used to it. Im not used to spending 1 hour working out with various things. I suppose the change is good for my body though.
  • wolveslovemee
    I used to feel like that too - I think the main thing is to push as hard as you can - it's easy to fall into the mentality to save some energy because your used to having a longer work out. So now I try to go all out - knowing that at the end of my WOD I can do nomore.

Appreciate the feedback and thanks.
    Were doing 13.4 WOD today...so Ill keep that in mind lol.