Why have I gained weight back?

Options
Hello fellow Low Carbers,
So, I've been doing low carb since August, and went from weighing 130 to 110 by November (I'm 5'2") Yay me!! However, I only kept the weight off for maybe a month, and since December have climbed back up to 120. I haven't drastically changed my diet, although with the help of the Dixie Diner's Club I'm eating a bit more "carb-like" products, but I'm confused as to why I gained the weight back. Do I need to incorporate more exercise? Do I need to re-adjust my carb intake again? I try to stay under 50 grams a day (I don't do net carbs, just actual carb numbers, not dependent on fiber intake). I have also upped my protein intake, which I think may be the reason, but I was hoping for some input from this lovely community as to what I need to do differently to once again lose those 10 pounds. Any suggestions?

Replies

• doneatfour
    doneatfour Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    50 g of carbs us really still quite low. I can't imagine those would be your maintenance carbs. Every body is different, but i lose at 50. if you visit Marks Daily Apple ( I think), he says 50 is good for weight loss, too., My guess would be the protein. How much are you getting? That can turn into glucose, too. Also, you still need to make sure you aren't eating over maintenance calorie-wise.
  • cmdragonia
    Options
    I'm usually under my daily calorie goal set here on MFP (1200 calories/day). I'm really thinking it's the protein, but how do I cut that out without now feeling constantly hungry?
  • Becky388
    Becky388 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm usually under my daily calorie goal set here on MFP (1200 calories/day).

And that may be your answer. If you are undereating, your body may be holding on to everything it gets.
  • cmdragonia
    Options
    I'm usually under my daily calorie goal set here on MFP (1200 calories/day).

And that may be your answer. If you are undereating, your body may be holding on to everything it gets.

I should have elaborated, it's always by less than 150 calories each day, and I try to eat "empty" calories to make it up, but on average I'm only below my minimum by 100 or so, which I didn't think would have that much of an impact.
  • daddybyday
    Options
    I'm going to post links to 2 articles from the Atkins site. One talks about plateaus, and the other talks about stalls. They may or may not be applicable to you, but I hope they'll be helpful.

http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase-2/Trouble-Shooting-in-OWL.aspx

http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase-2/Trouble-Shooting-in-OWL/FOUR-REASONS-FOR-STALLED-WEIGHT-LOSS.aspx

Hope these have some information useful to you!

Tom
  • Citrislazer
    Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I stall or gain weight if I eat less than 1250 calories a day! 1300-1450 net calories a day is what I shoot for and steadily lose 1-2lbs a week with 40-50 net carbs. I usually eat 80-120 grams of animal and plant protein in a day too. I'm 5' 4.75", so I'm only slightly taller than you. I also have about 1 day a week where I eat 1800-2000 calories in day to make sure my metabolism doesn't crash.