Completed my very first 5K today

Options
jlmed
jlmed Posts: 226 Member
I started running in January with the C25K app and today I just ran my first 5K (Around the Bay in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada). What a feeling doing this race. Just got my results. Chip time was 30:53.3 :happy: wow!! I was 34/149 for my age category and 379/1343 of all women in the race. I am pretty proud of myself!! Automatic personal best. I feel I set my bar too high lol. I ran faster than I planned (was hoping to finish in 35) but got so wrapped up in all the runners around me. I did take 2 small walk breaks to catch my breath and drink some water. This was awesome!!! The best part was the free massages afterwards. Just what my legs needed. Well I can't wait for the next one and to think how far I have come since January!!:smile:

Replies

• fit4life_73
    fit4life_73 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Wow! that was awesome. That was really good for your first 5k. That was roughly 10min/mile with a couple of walk breaks. What pace did you run while you were training? Keep up the good work!:drinker:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Totally awesome time! Great work!
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!

I feel so slow now...
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Great job and great time! Congrats!!
  • newfie_74
    newfie_74 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!
  • bootcey
    bootcey Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Cheers to you!!:drinker:
  • jlmed
    Options
    3 weeks ago I was running at a 7:35 pace. The runs before the race were about 6:38 and then the race was 6:10 per km (sorry for any Americans I do not know the equivalent per mile). My legs were sure paying for that last night but I have my trusty foam roller and yoga straps so got some good stretches in and massaged them with my handheld electric massager. They are actually pretty good today, no pain so that is good.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    7.5/km = 12/mile

6.17/km = 9.93/mile

So those are great times!
  • srsavaria
    srsavaria Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I love reading this. I just signed up for my first 5K in April and I can't wait. I also started running in January and I love it. That is a pretty fast time, but I wouldn't say you set the bar too high unless that is the time you want to beat each time. Maybe that's the time to aim for each time instead. Even with 2 walk breaks, that's still a 10 minute mile, right? Awesome. Have you signed up for any others yet?

~Sheila
  • jlmed
    Options
    Yesterday I signed up for a 10K training program at my local running store. When I run now I run 5K. My plan is to sign up for another 5K and then a 10K by June. I said I set my bar high because I will personally always strive to beat this personal best time :smile: