Tips that work

Options
kayceeme
kayceeme Posts: 105 Member
Hi all,

Our members are posting some great tips on how to make The Plan work for us. Let's use this spot as a place to post. I'll make this one as well as the "Plan Friendly Recipies" topic stickies once we accumulate enough.

I'll start us off with one I posted elsewhere yesterday:

To prepare for the 3 Day Cleanse:
Bear in mind that you might experience some side effects such as headaches, light-headedness, nausea etc. So it is a good idea to do as much of the preparation ahead of time as possible. For example, chop up your vegetables, prepare your soups etc.

Also, be aware that the Plan recipes often are for multiple portions. It's a good idea to stock up on containers in which to store individual portions.

Replies

• WiiFitFan
    WiiFitFan Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    If you haven't discovered this yet, you can follow Lyn-Genet on Face Book and twitter. She gives out lots of tips and answers questions almost daily. Also, on her website she gives Tips For Book Readers with new menus and specialized menus for thyroid, vegans, etc. Go to "http://lyngenet.com/tips-for-book-readers/" for more information.

And I agree, preparing ahead of time is important. It does take time to prepare and shop for all of the fresh produce and making the soups, but so worth it.

Wishing you all success!
  • caroline212
    Options
    Biggest lifesaver has been finding Mixed baby kale in big bag at Costco. No prep, just throw in pan with other veggies and you're good to go.

Another lifesaver for me has been the discovey that Killer Daves Spelt Bread works for me. I had a horrible detox day on day three,complete with fever. Achy and nauseous the next morning, I had a piece of spelt toast with butter-down a pound the next day. So glad I could bypass the rye cracker test. I am not a fan of cardboard type foods. On busy mornings when I have to be to work at 5, I have subbed the toast with almond butter for flax cereal and still lost. Everyone's different but I read of so many failing rye, maybe non-hybridized wheat like spelt is the way to go.

Keep large cups/bottles of water in car-easiest time to get that water in is while driving if you are busy during day.

Add unsweetened coconut flakes (wide shred looks and tastes best) to flax granola during last 10 min of baking. (not a test, nor is raisins and dried cranberries which you can also add).

Forgo the liver detox pills and go for the dandelion tea-cheaper and herb teas count toward your water intake.

Partially grind your sunflower and pumpkin seeds- releases their natural sweetness, improves texture and cling in salads.
    You are going to be shocked at how good the salad with pear and seeds tastes on day 1.

Book doesn't make clear that you should dress your salads (green and carrot/beet) with ample olive oil and lemon juice days 1-3 and low sodium/low vinegar dressings afterwards. Olive oil greatly increases satiety.

If you don't already have one, a George Forman grill can be your best friend. Throw that 3 oz chicken or test protein on with a brush of olive oil and herbs, reheat your pre-prepped veggies while it grills and throw over some raw baby lettuce. and after day 3 sprinkle with manchengo cheese-This is living!

Yes it's alot of work, but when that scale moves .5 to1 lb loss most days, it is so worth it.
  • GmaQueenBee
    GmaQueenBee Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Costco also has the big bags of broccoli florets. They are such a time saver!

The water in the car tip is spot on, thanks!
  • kayceeme
    Options
    I've found many Plan-friendly items at Trader Joe's and their prices seem reasonable compared to other markets in my area. Many items are prepared/packaged for convenience--a real time saver. Item's I've found there include:
    -Leafy greens like kale and swiss chard washed, bagged and ready to eat
    -Butternut squash, fresh and cut into cubes
    -Coconut milk, both canned and refrigerated
    -Almond milk
    -Goat's milk cheddar as well as the soft chevre
    -Chia seeds (less than $5 for a 5oz bag)
    -Dried cranberries
  • kayceeme
    Options
    One more for my list of Plan friendly grocery items:

I finally was able to find the Barbara's Puffins Honey Rice Cereal mentioned in the book--at Target of all places! Delicious with some fresh blueberries and coconut milk. I also added some chia seeds which are so tiny they seem to neither add or detract from the taste or texture.

Great alternative breakfast to have in your arsenal!

Another Target find: dandelion tea--couldn't find anywhere else
  • LaurieWurster
    LaurieWurster Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    She's also on Facebook, where many many questions get answered during the day. Very helpful! https://www.facebook.com/TheLynGenetPlan?fref=ts
  • kayceeme
    Options
    Yes, her FB page is helpful. Found out that I should steer clear of the Newman's Own Olive Oil Vinagrette. Although it is in fact low in sodium it may contain soybean oil which is often reactive. Wondering now if some of my plateauing could be attributable to that as I've been using it every day.

Guess it's time to go back to the olive oil, lemon juice and herbs combo. Wish I was better at making that more flavorful. Mostly I only taste the oil. I like olive oil but really could use some more oomph. Any tips group?
  • bry8iyze
    bry8iyze Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi Kayceeme, I had the same problem with a plateau after regaining some weight while on vacation that I just could not lose. I'm about 45 days into the Plan have been in the self testing phase. I had begun using Adirondack Naturals a local brand of pretty simple organic dressings; no soy oil, but then I noticed all contain Xanthan Gum. I recall Lyn-Genet had named xanthan in the book as a highly reactive additive. So I went back to my old stand-by, home squeezed lemon juice and olive oil dressing and my stalled weight loss resumed! After twenty days on the Plan I went on the five day follow up but since then have been trying to just follow the general guidelines, thinking I was testing foods every 4-5 days. After going back and re-reading the salient points of the diet again I realized I had increased some portion sizes of proteins and starches without testing. I had also included some new combinations of proteins with starches (grains) that I had not tested. I went back to the original Plan menus for portions and quit the untested combos. I really saw my weight start to move down again! After several days of no tests, I just tested an extra portion of mozzarella, which had previously tested fine at 1 oz. I surrounded it with friendly foods and no other proteins or grains. I made a nice 'tomateless' sauce of beet/butternut puree and red wine with sauteed zucchini on steamed spaghetti squash topped with the mozzarella and shredded peccorini romano, both had tested ok in the past but this was a boost in portion for the mozz. The scale was down over a pound this AM so I feel renewed and ready to keep moving forward on the plan!
  • GmaQueenBee
    Options
    Bry8iyze - Your "tomateless" sauce sounds great. Could you post the recipe in our recipe section?

Kayceeme - Have you tried adding some garlic or Italian Seasoning? I add both, whip it up in the blender, and the olive oil taste is masked.
  • bry8iyze
    Options
    Yes, I'll post them right now in fitness pal--both the ketchup and sauce. They can be made at the same time, just reserve a small container of the beet/squash puree for the ketchup before starting to flavor the sauce. I thought of this combo after trying the Plan lamb burgers without any ketchup! I'm not a fan of lamb but it tested ok for me. Since it was going to take awhile for me to get around to testing tomatoes my fake ketchup has been a life saver. I don't really like lamb but Lyn-Genet's lamb burger recipe is the best lamb I've ever had.
  • bry8iyze
    Options
    Alright done. The two recipes, "Tomatoless Ketchup" and "Tomatoless Sauce" are posted on MFP. I also put a tag on both of "Lyn-Genet The Plan".
  • kayceeme
    Options
    Awesome! Love the creativity of those recipes of yours! :)
  • kayceeme
    Options
    Here is a tip that I picked up on the Lyn-Genet Facebook page that I don't recall reading in the book:

Don't drink water 45 mins. before or after a meal.

It can be kind of challenging to figure out how to squeeze in all of that water every day, but apparently having water near mealtimes impedes digestion.
  • GmaQueenBee
    Options
    I saw that also. I find it difficult enough not having a beverage with my meal, but to not drink anything for 1.5 hours doesn't sound like a good way to stay hydrated. I figured that from the time I get up (6 a.m.) until the time to stop drinking water (7:30 p.m.) leaves me 13 1/2 hours to drink the 87 ounces I'm supposed to get in each day. Take away 4.5 hours (45 minutes before & after 3 meals) and that only leaves 9 1/2 hours. That more than 9 ounces an hour. That would be a challenge!
  • kayceeme
    Options
    The whole water thing is a challenge for me. I get busy during the day and often forget to drink water after lunch, and then it gets to be 5pm or so and I realize I still need to drink 4-5 8oz glasses. Today is one of those days!

I agree it's hard not to have water with a meal. Wine at dinner is nice. Not very thirst quenching, but nice.