Any Lap Banders??

Options
Hello!

I'm waiting for a guy to call back with an appointment with a lap band surgeon. And I'm going to a seminar next month! I was looking for advice and what to expect from lap band. I will be committed to it !!

Replies

• flrosie40
    flrosie40 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had my lapband surgery 3/19 - last Tuesday. Obviously I cannot tell you anything about the long-term results but I can tell you why I decided on lapband versus any of the other surgeries.

For me, I did not want a portion of my stomach or other anatomy lopped off and sucked out. I might need that someday for some reason. Who knows?

Although the weight loss for sleeve or RNY is faster, the studies I've seen show the long-term fail rate might be higher. With the lapband, I will have control for life, IF I CHOOSE TO BE RESPONSIBLE. That's really important. The successful banders, sleevers, and RNYers are successful because they are responsible with the tool they've chosen. You will follow a responsible eating plan the rest of your life. Fail to follow the plan, you will regain weight. With the lapband, however, I have a tool that can be adjusted over the course of my lifetime to continue to provide me assistance in staying on course. That isn't included in a sleeve or RNY surgery.

The slower weight loss MIGHT mean less chance of excess skin. I say 'might' because each person is different and that is predicated on factors particular to each individual. However, a slower rate of loss allows your body time to adjust and assimilate.

If you are anything like so many of us, you have less trouble LOSING weight and more trouble KEEPING it off. For me, that was the selling point of the lapband tool. I would have access to the tool for the rest of my life. I'm sure there are others who have different opinions, know of people who have failed and succeeded on any/all of the WLS tools. These are just my humble opinions and how I arrived at my decision. Good luck to you. Stay on track and you'll do fine.

Rosie
  • fmurphyjr
    fmurphyjr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had my band put in in July of 2011 and I have lost 140 lbs. so far. I know I lost a lot more and faster than the anticipated numbers my doctor gave me but I have gone back to have my bloodwork checked and vitamin levels checked many times and I am happy to say I'm the healthiest I have ever been! Like you I am completely committed to this not only as a weight loss plan but a life style change. I cannot say anything bad about my decision to have the band put in and I have had no side affects that you may have been told were possible. I think that is because of how prepared I was/am for this change and I only wish I had been ready to do it years ago. Good luck to you, any help/advise I can give let me know!

Frank
  • bel738
    bel738 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    hello i had my lap band done on march 2011 started weight was 318 lb i got down to 278 lb i am now at 289 lb my band is 14 cc i have 12.8 cc in it as of feb. 2013 i have had many personal life issues go on that has held me back from be successfull....i am now free of all my baggage and am concentrating on me again starting today...because i know i can do this i had the willpower in the beginning so i know i still have it in me..its a matter of putting me first and logging my food is a big help in watching what i eat..without it i eat anything and over my calories...the band is not a miracle its a TOOL...one that i have not used to its fullest.....but when i do it works..i will say i have no regrets i have diabetes type 2 and for two years i have been off meds ..so i am thankfull for that but i am ready to work my tool the right way..