Stupidly excited, W5D3 completed - first ever 20 mins!

Options
Stripeymitten
Stripeymitten Posts: 74 Member
I actually can't believe I ran for 20 minutes! It's a miracle! The first 10 minutes or so was really, really hard, but after that I kind of got into my stride and even found myself naturally picking up the pace.
When I think back to how hard week 1 was, I realise how far I've come, C25K is literally changing my life for the better :)

Replies

• sandyinsc
    sandyinsc Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    WOOHOO!!!! Way to go!!! Thanks for sharing; I'm W3D2 today and I am ever hopeful of achieving your level. AWESOME JOB!
  • Stripeymitten
    Options
    thanks Sandy, you can definitely do it, I shall be rooting for you!
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Great job! Even after I have completed the program, the first 10 minutes is always my hardest and then great from there;)
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!l Once you've done this, the next long run will be easier!

I just finished W8D1, with a 28 min. run. In the back of my mind, I keep wondering how long I can keep this up. But, I did well. It helps to remember W5D3 and how hard that seemed at the time. It's a really sweet feeling when you find your stride. As you go on with the program, this run will help encourage you, too.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    You are awesome-sauce. Good for you! It's a great feeling, I know.

Yes, that first ten minutes is always the "hardest" but eventually it just becomes part of the run... a precursor to that great feeling when everything is moving together, so it becomes motivating in itself.
  • forestplay
    forestplay Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have noticed this also. The first few minutes are aweful. I want to quit as I notice every little discomfort or slight pain everywhere in my body. After this passes, I notice I feel great, almost super-human, like I could run forever. That also eventually passes as I near the end of my training for the day.

Yesterday was W8D2. I'm one day away from graduating and I cannot believe I can run for 30+ minutes without stopping. Last January, when I started, it was a struggle to run for 3 minutes.

-Bob
  • Stripeymitten
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

Why IS the first 10 minutes the hardest? It's when I really really want to do it! Just one of Mother Nature's little jokes i guess!
  • April482
    April482 Posts: 10
    Options
    Awesome! I can't wait to be you!
  • MJharry
    MJharry Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Your comments echo exactly how I felt after Week 5! It's a fantastic feeling - Congratulations!

I've recently finished the program and still proud of myself (actually amazed) that I'm now running 5km regularly. I remember reading on the boards (I think leading up to W5or W6) that this is what we've been training for for the last 4-5 weeks so we are ready and we can do it - that was my motivation. I couldn't have done it without C25K - and before you know it you'll be there too! Good luck with your running.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options

Why IS the first 10 minutes the hardest? It's when I really really want to do it! Just one of Mother Nature's little jokes i guess!

Chemicals flushing through the body, muscles warming up, yada, yada.

I really need a warm- up...in ALL my exercise types now. When I was younger, I could jump right in doing whatever, and thought warm-ups were a waste of time. Now I need them long enough to push through that wall, then I'm good to go.

Your "stupidly excited" made me smile. I felt that way on w5d3, too. Just the other day I was jumping around like someone half my age...stupidly excited...because I saw muscle definition. Oh, the emotions we are reduced to.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

The research suggests - and I am not kidding - that this is your body's biological mechanism to protect its fat stores. Basically, it's asking you "do we REALLY need to run? Are you SURE???" So, yes, you nailed it: Mother Nature's joke.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Just the other day I was jumping around like someone half my age...stupidly excited...because I saw muscle definition. Oh, the emotions we are reduced to.

Yesterday, I took off my sweater and pulled up my sleeve to force a coworker to admire my delts. LOL.