Yoga Mats and Accessories

Options
auntsammy88
auntsammy88 Posts: 401 Member
I have decided to start doing more yoga classes at a studio and need a new yoga mat. Any suggestions? It needs to be:

a. relatively low cost ( I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a yoga mat)
b. relatively durable (would like it to last for a while)
c. thick (particularly for things like boat poses)

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Can't give you all three.

A manduka will last forever and is a good thickness without being cushiony:
    http://www.amazon.com/Manduka-Black-71-Inch-Yoga-Pilates/dp/B0000DZFXZ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1363789384&sr=8-3&keywords=manduka
    but it's not cheap.

Any cheaper thick mat will either be too cushiony for down dog and other poses were there is pressure in the wrists, or will not last that long, or both. People love Jade mats as well, but they tend to be thinner mats - they are long lasting and are slightly cheaper than the manduka mats.
    http://www.amazon.com/Jade-Harmony-Professional-68-Inch-Yoga/dp/B000EC9LQ8/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1363789498&sr=1-1&keywords=jade+yoga+mat
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    MissHolidayGolightly Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Second Jade and I believe they are available in a greater thickness but the price increases. They also have a good grip if you sweat a lot. Made of real rubber.
  • jiresi63
    jiresi63 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can find low cost good quality ones at like Ross, Marshalls, TJ Max, Target. The studio where I go to sugggests these places. Since you will not be on your mat all day long as the instructors are these lower cost ones last quite some time. I have had mine for 3 years and still are in pretty good shape and I practice about 7 hours a week.
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I purchased mine at LULUMON for $90.00, thicker than regular mats, durable and stays in place well. I have arthiritis on my knees and this was perfect to create cushioning on my knees.
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i use lululemon "the mat".. it's great for gripping. i used to use a $20 mat it was fine, but i always needed to use a mat towel so it's not slippery. depends what type of class you do. if it's hot.. a cheap mat would work fine!
  • auntsammy88
    auntsammy88 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your suggestions. I looked up reviews for the ones you suggested and a few more and ended up buying the synergy mat from Aurorae. It's a mat/ towel combination. So far I'm loving it...very soft and I don't slide when my hands/feet start to sweat. Still waiting to see how durable it is.
  • hockey247
    hockey247 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your suggestions. I looked up reviews for the ones you suggested and a few more and ended up buying the synergy mat from Aurorae. It's a mat/ towel combination. So far I'm loving it...very soft and I don't slide when my hands/feet start to sweat. Still waiting to see how durable it is.

I have been using this mat for two weeks and I really like it. However, I didn't follow instructions and spray the mat with a spray bottle at first. A girl my class has the same mat and I saw her do it and it makes a HUGE difference in grip.

I did stand on a lululemon today and it was love at first step. I think I am just going to stick with mine for now. Coincidentally my studio also says they have great mats at TJ Max. I'll have to check it out.
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I love my JADE mat -- would get one in every colour if I could! They also come in various lengths and widths, if anyone prefers that.

There's nothing wrong with the cheaper mats. but they do eventually fall apart and I've gone through several before getting the rubber one. They are definitely more durable, the grip is awesome and worth the extra cost IMO:)
  • themutineer
    themutineer Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have Manduka's Black Mat PRO - for about $100 you get a durable mat made from sustainable resources complete with a LIFETIME GUARANTEE!

I've had mine a little over a year now, and it's not showing much wear despite being used nearly every single day since I first unrolled it. In the long run, it's well worth the initial investment.