Really stupid weight lifting question..

Options
Hi all,

I am currently following the New Rules of Lifting for Women and I have a question about Squats. My boyfriend has a nice setup in our basement so I'm able to do all of the exercises required at home. I am having trouble with the Squats though. My knees hurt after a couple and I can't go as low as I should be. I would like to use the smith machine at my gym for this as it might help me and also help my form.

So my question is this... If I do all of my weight training at home, but I do the random weight training exercise at the gym, Will I benefit from that? Does weight training need to be done all at one time?

There are a couple other machines at the gym I would like to try too, but I'm not sure if just doing a couple sets of one exercise are of any benefit.

Thanks!

Replies

• DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    1. A smith machine won't help you with squat form since it forces you to follow its movement rather than you doing your movement naturally and engaging and strengthening the proper musculature required to lift that weight up and down (including your core muscles).

2. Squat without weights first. Focus on stretching and mobility because you may just be tight. Once you can get low enough with proper form, add the empty bar or dumbbells. Once you have that down, begin adding plates to the bar or use heavier dumbbells.

3. I do all of my weight training at home with a barbell set and a bench/squat rack. I prefer it to a gym membership. I do compound lifting such as squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, etc. Love it. They cover so much ground without you having to do isolative movements, that means shorter workouts with greater overall benefit.

4. Let the majority of your lifting be done with free weights and use machines strictly as a supplement. Machines tend to isolate muscle groups and may even contort you into unnatural positions that really won't benefit you as far as actually becoming stronger and being able to lift, push and pull real-life heavy things safety and solidly.

5. Those weren't stupid questions at all. :smile: :flowerforyou:

6. The above were personal opinions and I'm not an expert on these things, just FYI.
  • amanda1266
    Options
    Thank you :) That is good information, but didn't really address my main question.. Does weight lifting need to be done in sessions, or can I do a random set here and there and still benefit from it. My boyfriend says it should be done in sessions because of a "pump"... lol.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I am currently following the New Rules of Lifting for Women and I have a question about Squats. My boyfriend has a nice setup in our basement so I'm able to do all of the exercises required at home. I am having trouble with the Squats though. My knees hurt after a couple and I can't go as low as I should be. I would like to use the smith machine at my gym for this as it might help me and also help my form.

So my question is this... If I do all of my weight training at home, but I do the random weight training exercise at the gym, Will I benefit from that? Does weight training need to be done all at one time?

There are a couple other machines at the gym I would like to try too, but I'm not sure if just doing a couple sets of one exercise are of any benefit.

Thanks!

I would not recommend using the Smith at the gym at all. It will not help with your form. Work on your mobility with stretching and your form with the barbell.

Are you asking whether you can do some exercises at home, then go to the gym and finish up? How long in between would it be?

Would you be looking to do lifts that are laid out in NROL or other ones?
  • amanda1266
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks!

I would not recommend using the Smith at the gym at all. It will not help with your form. Work on your mobility with stretching and your form with the barbell.

Are you asking whether you can do some exercises at home, then go to the gym and finish up? How long in between would it be?

Hi there,
    It probably wouldn't be at the same, or even same day. Let's say I lifted at home on Monday and on Tuesday I go to the gym to do cardio and maybe I want to do a leg press machine, but that's all. I'm basically wondering if that's helpful, or a waste of time.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Thank you :) That is good information, but didn't really address my main question.. Does weight lifting need to be done in sessions, or can I do a random set here and there and still benefit from it. My boyfriend says it should be done in sessions because of a "pump"... lol.

You probably wouldn't notice the difference between one hour long lifting session in a day and two thirty minute or four fifteen minute sessions, however splitting up your time may ultimately end up taking more time between having to warm up and cool down and such. Also it could potentially mean more laundry (which for me is the real dealbreaker and is the primary reason I don't do two-a-days anymore)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks!

Hi there,
    It probably wouldn't be at the same, or even same day. Let's say I lifted at home on Monday and on Tuesday I go to the gym to do cardio and maybe I want to do a leg press machine, but that's all. I'm basically wondering if that's helpful, or a waste of time.

I If you lift at home and do legs, I would not do legs again the following day.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Locking so we can keep track better of active threads. Please PM myself or SideSteel to open if you have any further questions.
This discussion has been closed.