Still Waiting...

Options
caccicoo
caccicoo Posts: 59 Member
Hi,
My name is Diane and I have just really started using MFP in the last week. I live in British Columbia where, in spite of a good medical system, the powers that be don't seem to believe that WLS is a priority, therefore, in the part of the province where I live the doctors are only give 80 OR times for WLS a year. In total. So, I have been on the wait list for a sleeve for 51 months now. Yup, you read that right, more than 4 years. However, it does look like the end of the wait is in sight. I saw my surgeon in January and he said that I should be into an OR in the fall. As frustrating as this process has been, it has given me an opportunity to do a lot of work on what my core issues are - why have I eaten the way I do that has got me to the weight I am. I believe that because it has been such a long wait I have now been able to do the work that I needed to do to make the weight loss stick. Or at least I am more hopeful than I was 4 years ago. I have been working with a wonderful addictions counsellor and I have started seeing a very kind and helpful dietician. So, now I keep my fingers crossed that my surgery time will come up soon and I will be able to see the success that so many of you have had!

Replies

• johnlatte
    johnlatte Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Wow Diane, I can't believe that you have had the patience to hang on this long. Good for you!

I guess we here in the States will have something to look forward to in the next year (long waits for this type of surgery).

Feel free to add me!

John
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    That's why a bunch of people from Canada go to Mexico. They don't want to wait any more. Whereas here in the US, we go to Mexico because it's not covered by our particular policy at all.

I looked at MX but two of the Fathers of the sleeve were in my backyard so I figured I'd stay in the area and benefit from their aftercare program.
  • caccicoo
    caccicoo Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I know two people who went to Mexico for their surgeries - one has done really well, one was starting to gain it back and then she just disappeared off the radar. If I had the cash, I could have had the band done here and the wait would have been about 2 months. In Alberta the wait is about 6 months and Ontario is less than that. This is the only surgery that I know of here in BC with wait times like this. When I had my knees replaced 5 years ago, I only had to wait 6 weeks. But, as I said, things happen for a reason and I am grateful to have had the time to sort stuff out in my head first.