Weight Lifting Forum Suggestions?

Options
I have been after the stronglifts 5x5 program for months now but want to find a forum that isn't full of nutjobs to get some good advice specific to weight training. Does anybody have any good suggestions for such a forum?

Thanks.

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    i like bb.com, but it is full of nutjobs as well
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    i like bb.com, but it is full of nutjobs as well

As opposed to the rest of the interwebz
    :laugh: :laugh:
  • crash1967
    crash1967 Posts: 31
    Options
    a person can dream....
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Some of us who post here lift occasionally. Some of us even do, or have done, SL5x5.

I can't guarantee that we're completely free from nutjobbery but ya could ask a question or two and see where things land ...
  • crash1967
    Options
    alrighty,

so i have been killing it, now my back is killing me. i am laying off for a couple of weeks until it feels better but wondering where i should start after taking some time off.

i am pretty sure i have let form get away from me which is the issue. i am thinking when i start back i should drop weight and do a redo on my form but not sure if this is the right approach or how much I should drop back to.

i cannot risk hurting myself as i make my living with my body, not my brain.
  • DaniH826
    Options
    I would deload all the way to where you can safely and consistently do all your reps/sets without any form breakdown.

Whatever that number is for you.

In other words, on your first workout, do warmup sets and incrementally work your way up until you find a comfortable range, from the empty bar on up (you should always warm up with the empty bar anyway).

I'd also recommend going lighter, when in doubt, since you already hurt yourself once and probably have the tendency to push yourself too much.

And if it takes you that entire first week or two back from recovery in order for you to figure out your true working sets, then so be it.

Also, ain't no Stronglifts police going to come after you if you don't go up 5 lbs every session. It's your body. You do what you're comfortable with and can safely do and progress at your own pace. There's no ribbon at the end of this, and it's not a competition.

I absolutely always advocate putting form ahead of weight progression, because decent form gives you the safest body mechanics possible and prevents injury. Weight usually takes care of itself over time as your muscles adapt and grow stronger.

Just my 2 cents.

Also maybe check into using a belt for extra support? I know they're usually being used for performance improvement, but I personally use mine for certain lifts to help keep my lower back stable due to previous tweaks and aches. If that doesn't allow me "optimal" progression or muscle engagement or somesuch according to the anti-belt group ... so be it. It's my body and my back. You're not paying my medical bills so you have no say-so, but thank you for your feedback. :smile:

Hope that helps you in some way.
  • crash1967
    Options
    That helps a ton! Thanks, its just the info I needed. I do push myself a little much and I'm old.
  • DaniH826
    Options
    That helps a ton! Thanks, its just the info I needed. I do push myself a little much and I'm old.

That makes two of us (actually if that's your birth year we're about the same age). :smile:

Weightlifting is not a safe activity/sport. But maintaining good form and a cautious/common sense approach does make it safer and allow us to continue doing what we enjoy. The progression happens eventually anyway as our muscles adapt and let us increase weight without getting to the point of injury because we just had to get that extra 10-pound plate on there to tick off a spreadsheet box or whatever.

I personally don't do SL because it's too aggressive for my personal taste, but others do extremely well with it. I see no reason why it can't be adapted to suit your personal needs; just progress a bit slower is all. Who cares? You'll still reap the benefits from it either way.
  • Anzsjela
    Anzsjela Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

I don't know if this thread is dead, I will try anyways...

I am not particularly shy but I just cant get my *kitten* in the weights room at the GYM. All these big guys and stuff, I once made it to the door and I am not exaggerating, they all turned around and stared at me like :noway: ...then I understood what aliens feel like. I know once I actually just walk in and get busy they wont notice me and I wont notice them.

I do Body Pump classes, you don't get very far with BP but I love the class that's how I got curious about weights, have been at it for about a year and a half, but I need something more challenging. Through this class I have learned about form so it is not like I am starting from absolute 0, but since I don't even know where to start I have the feeling there is lots to find out.

Ways to start lifting... where to begin?????
    1. Hire a trainer who would literally "walk me" into the process... and into the room :blushing: (low chances since I am broke and going to school in Sept)
    2. Start with some reading material and work on a program for myself "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" seems to be a popular option. Anyone has a suggestion?
    3. I don't have a single friend who would be remotely interested and go with me. I am on my own.
    4. Find a MFP sort of virtual trainer? (yeahhhh that could be you!!!! :P)

Knowledge is power, once I find out I will find my way into this. Hope you guys can shed some light on this.